Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Post by runnin n gunnin » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:08 am

ESquared wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 am
Thanks for all of that R-n-G.
Would be most interested in the ice pack/holster your wife used;
just send me a PM when you get a chance.

Sounds like your wife had a long struggle but a great outcome, which is encouraging to hear, and I'll not worry any more about the 13th!

Thanks for your story - no such thing as bad advice right now!
ESquared: Sorry for the long delay here, been a busy week. The Ice Pack we have had the best luck with for function, durability and holds up to continues use is the Active Wrap.
The Company Website is: https://activewrap.com/
Amazon also has some active wrap available at : https://www.amazon.com/ActiveWrap-Hot-C ... B07YQBWLVT
This is the Hip pack and carrier my wife uses: https://activewrap.com/collections/heat ... t-ice-wrap

The nice think about these packs is you remove the pack from a very well made carrier to re-freeze. The carrier has a Velcro patch on one side that attaches anywhere on the holster that warps around your waist/hip and is neoprene so the Velcro attaches anywhere allowing you to easily move the pack up/down/forward, back etc.

I have had three shoulder surgeries for torn rotator, labrum, etc. over the years and it occasionally still flares up. They are the only company that has a legit shoulder rig that stays put and allows me to continue to do whatever I want.

Best of luck during your surgery, and know that you will be pain free form what you are feeling now !
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:12 am

runnin n gunnin wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:08 am
ESquared wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 am
Thanks for all of that R-n-G.
Would be most interested in the ice pack/holster your wife used;
just send me a PM when you get a chance.

Sounds like your wife had a long struggle but a great outcome, which is encouraging to hear, and I'll not worry any more about the 13th!

Thanks for your story - no such thing as bad advice right now!
ESquared: Sorry for the long delay here, been a busy week.
The Ice Pack
we have had the best luck with for function, durability and holds up to continues use is the Active Wrap.
The Company Website is: https://activewrap.com/
Amazon also has some active wrap available at : https://www.amazon.com/ActiveWrap-Hot-C ... B07YQBWLVT
This is the Hip pack and carrier my wife uses: https://activewrap.com/collections/heat ... t-ice-wrap

The nice think about these packs is you remove the pack from a very well made carrier to re-freeze. The carrier has a Velcro patch on one side that attaches anywhere on the holster that warps around your waist/hip and is neoprene so the Velcro attaches anywhere allowing you to easily move the pack up/down/forward, back etc.

I have had three shoulder surgeries for torn rotator, labrum, etc. over the years and it occasionally still flares up. They are the only company that has a legit shoulder rig that stays put and allows me to continue to do whatever I want.

Best of luck during your surgery, and know that you will be pain free form what you are feeling now !
One last thing ESqauared. Hip surgeons are busy people, and yes, there is no such thing as emergency hip replacement.
You will get some relief if you start the ice now, you don't have to wait unit your surgery ! I bought extra packs (we have a total of 4) so we can rotate easily. Also, my wife uses the packs at night in bed without a problem.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks again, R-n-G! This looks like a great system. I'll see what the doc usually prescribes/recommends for his outpatient post-op icing therapy, but this seems perfectly suited for the task.
The cortisone injection seemed to "wear off" after about 5-5 days, and he's put me on a low dose of Tramadol (50mg every eight hours), which I'm filling in with Naproxen (per his recommendation) to see if I can keep the pain at bay. Fortunately for me, nighttime/sleeping is the least painful part of my day, as I'm totally comfortable on either side.
Just started the Tramadol today, so we'll see how it goes. 3+ weeks until I see the sawbones, but I've been fortunate not to have ever had to deal with/manage chronic pain like this for anything in my life, so it's a bit of trial and error to see what works, other than just staying off of it when I can.
Many thanks for your follow up note and links!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:58 pm

ESquared wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:16 pm
Thanks again, R-n-G! This looks like a great system. I'll see what the doc usually prescribes/recommends for his outpatient post-op icing therapy, but this seems perfectly suited for the task.
The cortisone injection seemed to "wear off" after about 5-5 days, and he's put me on a low dose of Tramadol (50mg every eight hours), which I'm filling in with Naproxen (per his recommendation) to see if I can keep the pain at bay. Fortunately for me, nighttime/sleeping is the least painful part of my day, as I'm totally comfortable on either side.
Just started the Tramadol today, so we'll see how it goes. 3+ weeks until I see the sawbones, but I've been fortunate not to have ever had to deal with/manage chronic pain like this for anything in my life, so it's a bit of trial and error to see what works, other than just staying off of it when I can.
Many thanks for your follow up note and links!
Hang in there brother, when you wake up the pain you feel now will be gone! Keep us posted after the surgery.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 pm

following knee replacement surgery, I came home from the hospital with a Cold Water Therapy Ice Machine similar to the one shown in this link >>> https://www.amazon.com/Cryotherapy-Circ ... NrPXRydWU= .... they say it can be used for hip replacement .... all I can tell you is its a tremendous help
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:27 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 pm
following knee replacement surgery, I came home from the hospital with a Cold Water Therapy Ice Machine similar to the one shown in this link >>> [url]https://www.amazon.com/Cryotherapy-Circ ... flammation.... they say it can be used for hip replacement .... all I can tell you is its a tremendous help
Wow, Jim, that's quite the piece of equipment! I'll be shocked if this doc doesn't have a "preferred method" of dealing with his outpatients' post-op therapies. Will learn more on Friday, the 13th! This is all great stuff, though! Just more to add to my Q&A List!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Ironic Evan, side stepping a bit, but the guy who supposedly patented the hip replacement, has a $14.000.000 estate on our mountain not far from the cabin, way back in the woods. Stream runs underneath a glass bottom causeway near the middle of the house. Pretty cool, dang, wish I could remember the last name. :(
He does have a beautifully crafted gate as you enter his property . County street sign named ( Cool Place ) :)
No doubt!
Don't worry, many patients before you paid for it... :lol:
Hang in there my friend!! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:02 pm
Ironic Evan, side stepping a bit, but the guy who supposedly patented the hip replacement, has a $14.000.000 estate on our mountain not far from the cabin, way back in the woods.
When I had my knee replaced 5 years ago, I got an itemized bill from the hospital. Insurance paid most of it but the total was over $60,000. The artificial knee was around $25,000 although that probably included the custom guides the surgeons use to cut off the old knee.

I found a video of the procedure, very detailed but condensed down to around 30 minutes. When I got home I noticed the bottom of my foot was slightly bruised, wonder why but then saw the video and the surgeons assistant was holding the guy's foot while the surgeon was hammering in the lower joint.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 am

I may change my mind, but I don't think I'd want to see a video (condensed or full-length) of a hip replacement! Interesting about your foot bruise, though. I'm sure lots of interesting stuff goes on that we never even think about. I wonder what kind of music my doc pipes into the O.R.?
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm

ESquared wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:27 pm
Wow, Jim, that's quite the piece of equipment!
its really a pretty simple device .... a cooler which you fill with ice and water (we found that freezing plastic Coke bottles and adding them to the mix make the cold water last longer) .... turn it on and it circulates the cold water through a hose to a pad that is designed to wrap around the body part, and then a different hose takes the water back to the cooler .... no dealing with wet bags of ice and all of the mess that can cause .... it really works well
0 x