Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Not very safe - if it happened the way I think....

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Not very safe - if it happened the way I think....

Post by Mistered » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:29 pm

Yesterday when I pulled up to my shooting area I noticed a large, shiny piece of rifle brass on the ground and I picked it up and it was a 7MM Mag.
A while later I happened to look to look to my left and saw another piece about 15 yards away so I walked over to pick it up.
Then I saw another about the same distance, and yet another totaling 6 pieces.
I was trying to figure why the distance between them and then it occurred to me we had a recent deer and elk season in this area so my deduction is the hunter was probably shooting on the run at a fleeing animal. Bad idea if it happened this way.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Not very safe - if it happened the way I think....

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Ya not a good idea!
Mistered wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:29 pm
Yesterday when I pulled up to my shooting area I noticed a large, shiny piece of rifle brass on the ground and I picked it up and it was a 7MM Mag.
A while later I happened to look to look to my left and saw another piece about 15 yards away so I walked over to pick it up.
Then I saw another about the same distance, and yet another totaling 6 pieces.
I was trying to figure why the distance between them and then it occurred to me we had a recent deer and elk season in this area so my deduction is the hunter was probably shooting on the run at a fleeing animal. Bad idea if it happened this way.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 am

Agreed quite foolish.
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

Shawn1974
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Shawn1974 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:22 am

I was always dumbfounded when I would hear about how certain hunters would go through a box of shells on opening day...I had a box of shells last me 4 deer seasons...including shooting to check the scope! I don't like the 'spray and pray' method.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:42 am

I've often gone through a couple of boxes (or more) of shells during a day's hunt .. :) .. of course those were dove hunts .. :lol: ..
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am

What I don't like is being out hunting and hearing someone blaze away in the distance. I often wonder what direction they are shooting in. Sometimes I have counted more than the legal limit of five rounds.
Actually it's not as bad as it used to be since Oregon has gone to nearly complete lottery system for hunting as well as my own hunting (for the last several years of it anyway) has been blackpowder so no chance of indiscriminate shooting.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:43 pm

"You'll shoot your eye out!"
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Isn't that what "MSR"s are for? :shock:
Shawn1974 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:22 am
... I don't like the 'spray and pray' method.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:56 am

Many years ago there was a group of drunken hunters that literally surrounded a herd of elk and opened up on them killing bulls, cows and calfs indiscriminately. I knew a guy who told me he was hunting nearby and bullets were flying everywhere, he feared enough for his safety that he dropped and crawled away. I had heard that the game department sent armed wardens into the area in helicopters to catch them.

The woman that trained my horse was telling me she was out riding once during hunting season and a bullet creased her saddle horn. She rode up to him and asked how the he** he could mistake a large horse and rider for a deer. He was very embarrassed and apologetic.

I know these are fairly uncommon incidents and I have friends that I know are responsible hunters but stories like these have kept me from hunting.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Similar but did not end well. A friend and his wife were out hunting. Wife was mistakenly shot by someone in another hunting party. That someone was profusely apologetic. Wife gave him a good cussing out anyway, before bleeding out and passing away.
0 x