Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Very hungry critters!

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Very hungry critters!

Post by Ernie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 pm

I have red squirrel damage that looks like that. They chewed through a rubbermaid container that had dog food in it and through a plastic trash can that was full of sunflower seeds. Did not take them long.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:45 pm

The long chisel like marks. Rodent incisor marks.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:49 pm

Must be coons then. Don't see how squirrels could hang on to that slick plastic.
Then again, there are some variables. Dont know how far it is from the ground...etc.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Raccoons are Mustelidae,(skunks, badgers, weasels} not rodents. Rodents all have the long forever growing incisors that compel them to gnaw.
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:49 pm
Must be coons then. Don't see how squirrels could hang on to that slick plastic.
Then again, there are some variables. Dont know how far it is from the ground...etc.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Had that happen to us too. One of these took care of that problem. Now they just pee all over the top.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200680492
Ernie wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 pm
... chewed through a rubbermaid container that had dog food in it and through a plastic trash can that was full of sunflower seeds. Did not take them long.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 pm

They can do a great deal of damage in a short time. I had some get into the attic of the rental I lived in before I moved here and they chewed a 10 inch hole through the drywall ceiling into the living room. They cats kept them at bay until I nailed some plywood over the hole. Bought this house shortly thereafter. My new neighbor, after seeing one carrying a baby bird away, started to shoot all of the red squirrels he saw, 48 the first year. He has since passed and I have taken a few when they seem to be too numerous just to keep the population down.
1 x