Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Chime In

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Chime In

Post by Vaquero » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37 am

Ed I use the quick link also, but hit the active post.
It gives you a list of the latest used subjects.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37 am
Ed I use the quick link also, but hit the active post.
It gives you a list of the latest used subjects.

RP
After reading my Notifications, that's exactly where I go as well.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:35 pm

I do something similar, if not exactly the same. I've bookmarked a search string that provides all of the posts made in the last day. It can be adjusted to look back as far as week (I think), but I logon daily so I limit it. Each time I refresh that bookmark, the search is updated with the very last posts that were made.

This is the bookmark I use:
http://henryrifleforums.com/search.php? ... ive_topics
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:16 pm

When you want the poster to get a notification that you responded use the quote button and don't delete the poster's name from the quote.

Unless the author of a post remembers to use the "Notify me when reply is posted" function of the full editor a response notification is only sent to the author of the post when the 'quote' button is used by the responder. And then only if the responder does not delete the poster's name from the quote.

Quick Reply by itself does not send a notification.

Many of our posters ask a question that many of us respond to using Quick Reply instead of the 'quote' button. If the poster is waiting for notification, he won't see the responses until someone else responds using the quote button.

I've posted and forgot to use the "Notify me when reply is posted" then waited for a response notification that almost never comes. IF I later remember the post I made and checkup on it manually, I often see quite a few responses that where made with 'Quick Reply' or with the 'quote' button with my name removed from the quote.

I suspect some of our new members join, ask a question and never see a response notification. Being new to the site they haven't yet picked up on the "Notify me when reply is posted" function of the full editor. Not seeing a response notification they might think we don't care, so don't stick around.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:34 pm

The 'new posts' list you see is since you last logged in. When you logout the list you see is cleared. If you logout and immediately log back in the 'new post' list you see will be empty. Most of the time I use the "Unread Posts" list. If I logout and log back in only the posts I haven't yet looked at will be listed. The first time I used the "Unread Posts" there were thousands of posts all the way back to the being of the site in the Unread list. Marking all as read that first time got rid all the ancient stuff from the unread list. Now when I login the unread list contains only new posts that I haven't read/opened.

The problem for a new user is if they login and don't visit the 'new posts' list, their view of the 'new posts' gets cleared when they logout. However their view of the 'unread posts' list does not. Only after they have visited a post does it get removed from their unread list.
Mistered wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:16 am
Another issue that could create the illusion fewer people are posting is with the 'new posts ' link. I noticed long ago a new post 'times out' after a while and if one does not see the post prior to the timing out period it only shows up in the original category it was posted in to start with, and unless a person is looking in that exact category or sub-category then he or she might not ever see the post.
My point to this is Most people probably enter a forum in the 'New Post' quick link as a starting point as opposed to a specific category.
It would be nice if the time out function could be dropped and the posts remained 'open' until the person opened the post to read it and then it is dropped from the 'new' link..
Another forum I am a member of works this way and until I open the post it remains in the 'new posts' link.
Also this same forum has what is known as an 'alert' system in that if a post or thread YOU make is responded to or gets subsequent follow-ups you are 'alerted' each time and this also remains active until you open the alert.
I realize here if your post or thread has a response it again shows up in the 'new' link again however is still subject to the time out and if the poster misses it a followup response could be overlooked UNLESS the person looks at his or her post in the 'your posts' link
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Good info Mags!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:52 pm

The 'new posts' list you see is since you last logged in. When you logout the list you see is cleared. If you logout and immediately log back in the 'new post' list you see will be empty.
Got it! I see that now!
Learn something new everyday.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Just to add to this. The default window of time for 'Active Topics' is 7 days. Another quick way see more or less is after clicking on 'Active Topics' visit the sorting options button at the lower left of the table. There you can select the window of time width for what gets included in the 'Active Topics' list.
CT_Shooter wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:35 pm
I do something similar, if not exactly the same. I've bookmarked a search string that provides all of the posts made in the last day. It can be adjusted to look back as far as week (I think), but I logon daily so I limit it. Each time I refresh that bookmark, the search is updated with the very last posts that were made.

This is the bookmark I use:
http://henryrifleforums.com/search.php? ... ive_topics
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 am

I'm still around, but I spend a lot of time in the back room, checking on things and oiling the wheels.

Thanks for explaining those features Mags. I looked around in back and can't find a way to adjust them there.

Mark, thanks for keeping track of us all.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:48 am

Still here. Leaving in a couple days to help a bud on a deer hunt[Bridgeport, Ca. area]. He has the tag, I'm an extra pair of eyes. Should be fun. When we get back, I plan on some lever gun shooting once the desert cools down. Have a few loads to try. So, I'll be back on here blathering some more! :lol:
2 x