Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Switching To DISH

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Switching To DISH

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 am

as noted above, we setup our new Pathway dish antenna late yesterday afternoon .... shortly after daylight this morning it survived its first thunderstorm .... its still locked onto a strong signal from each of DISH's Western Arc Satellites .... 8-)
Attachments
200807 001 1st  rain 001.jpg
200807 001 1st rain 001.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
200807 001 1st  rain 004.jpg
200807 001 1st rain 004.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:57 am

Interesting setup. Thanks for the idea.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am

as noted our Carryout G2+ is a fine unit .... it is very solid and can be roof mounted on a camper; in fact, we have one permanently on ours .... it has been in use during most of our travels and performs well .... I don't believe the new Pathway can be roof mounted .... we've just had another heavy rain move through and their claim that it can hold a signal under conditions where the signal would be lost with other portable antennas .... that appears to be true .... based on using our G2 during many rain storms, it would have lost signal .... the signal on our Pathway fell to 25 but still locked on and we were able to watch TV throughout the entire storm .... 8-)
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:34 am

That's great Jim. Really frustrating to be really into a program or movie and lose signal.
We are trying, STILL to get internet up her at the cabin, but there's only one provider for up here and we've been waiting three years. The only way I'm on here right now is by jumping off our closest neighbors service. He gave me his password.
They are about 100 yards away, so I have to be in the bedroom on that side of the house. Same for cell phone service but luckily we have a land line.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:58 pm

in thinking about it, if you install DISH at your home, you could have the same package of shows at your cabin for an additional $7 a month .... a real plus with that program is you can turn the service at the cabin on and off so that you don't pay for time you aren't there
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:40 pm

learned something about our new Pathway antenna and I consider the lesson to be a positive one .. :D .. the strong thunderstorm mentioned in the Advisory below just roared through where we are parked .... their is no doubt that we would have lost signal while using our G2+ Plus antenna .... as with our former G2+ our new Pathway sitting on its tripod didn't move .... it remained locked onto DISH satellites .... it didn't lose its signal .... that to me was impressive

copy of local Weather Advisory :

"...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR CENTRAL DEUEL...NORTHEASTERN HAMLIN AND SOUTHEASTERN CODINGTON COUNTIES UNTIL 1245 PM CDT... At 1210 PM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm near Goodwin, or 8 miles west of Clear Lake, moving east at 30 mph. Pea size hail and wind gusts up to 50 mph will be possible with this storm. Locations impacted include... Clear Lake, Gary, Goodwin, Altamont, Lake Cochrane Rec Area, Tunerville, Moritz and Lake Alice. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Torrential rainfall is also occurring with this storm, and may lead to localized flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded roadways."
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:07 pm
cooperhawk wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 pm
Well, I'm afraid I wouldn't impress you very much. Just an old short fat man is all I am anymore. But I do like Brownies
that makes two of us on all points :!:
Still old short and fat, but I have new teeth!!! :D
OK, that has nothing to do with DISH does it? :oops:
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:38 pm

A quick look at the radar shows that weather bearing down on me. I'm watching NASCAR on DISH and I'll bet it shuts me down for a while. We have a permanent dish on our house but that doesn't always get through the clouds.

Looks like a gully washer on the way. :o
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:38 pm

understood on having a dish mounted for home use .... we have the same and even with signal strengths in the upper 60's to mid 70's, service has been lost for storms passing over or south of us ....
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:34 am

UPDATE :

one of the claims made for the Pathway automatic DISH antenna is that it can lock onto a much stronger signal .... when the DISH Tech installed a good size antenna at our home he told me that a signal strength of 75 was about as good as it can get .... as I recall ours showed a strength of a little over 70 .... further a strength of 20 or better was acceptable and the higher the number the better in stormy conditions .... we have lost signal at home during rough weather .... as previously noted, both of our roof mounted and portable Carryout G2 and G2+ antennas are very good units .... when used they usually show signal strengths from 30 to 50 (sometimes lower, seldom higher) and provide us with a good quality picture .... both have lost signal during storms .... as can be seen below, our Pathway portable antenna is delivering a very strong signal .... one that is far stronger than any I other portable antennas I've used or have heard of and I must admit impresses me .... during the short time we have used it, we haven't experienced any signal loss and there have been few which I have no doubt would have caused a signal loss in the G2's .... there can be little doubt that sooner or later it will happen .... ;)
Attachments
200811 001 signal strength 001.jpg
200811 001 signal strength 001.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
200811 001 signal strength 002.jpg
200811 001 signal strength 002.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
0 x