Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Switching To DISH

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Switching To DISH

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Dish's Wally receiver is the one they have for use in an RV and should not be confused with their much more advanced Hopper which is designed for home use .... my hope is the info in this post might help anyone who on this forum who happens to have a Wally receiver .... as noted, we've had the same problem with two different Wally receivers in our camper ..... specifically, if they aren't turned on for several days, the Guide has locked up and will not update the date, time, and program listing .... both times customer support hasn't been able to correct the problem and both times we have been sent replacement Wally receivers .... in communicating with 2 friends on another forum who have had the same issue with Wally receivers in their campers .... one 3 times, the other 1 time .... as we did, they both contacted Dish and in the end, each time received a replacement Wally receiver .... one of those friends told me that the third time his locked up he got to messing around and found the following :

try getting there this way ===> on the remote, tap the HOME button 3 times, doing so will take you directly to the Diagnostics screen ===> scroll down and select Tools ===> select RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS ===> on next screen select PARTIAL RESET

ours hasn't locked up since getting the above info so I can't personally attest to how well it works .... if / when ours does, I will most certainly give it a try
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Dish program comment : when we signed up for television service from Dish, it came with 3 months of free Show Time, Encore and Starz .... we do watch a number of programs on Encore / Starz but none on Show Time .... a little while ago my wife called and cancelled Show Time .... when she asked about a trial period or the cost of replacing it with HBO, she was informed that Dish doesn't offer HBO .... that's not a problem for us but it did come as a bit of a surprise
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:18 pm
Dish program comment : when we signed up for television service from Dish, it came with 3 months of free Show Time, Encore and Starz .... we do watch a number of programs on Encore / Starz but none on Show Time .... a little while ago my wife called and cancelled Show Time .... when she asked about a trial period or the cost of replacing it with HBO, she was informed that Dish doesn't offer HBO .... that's not a problem for us but it did come as a bit of a surprise
Yes Jim, and like others, at the end of that trial period, they will start charging you.
You probably know that already, but it is aggravating how often they call me with that whole spiel about being a great customer for so long that they're giving me such and such free for three months.
It's hard for them to understand, NO! so I have to just hang up.
( I have to confess though; I still have Direct TV ).
I'll bet that it works the same with Dish. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:45 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Yes Jim, and like others, at the end of that trial period, they will start charging.
yep, in this case it really doesn't bother me .... we knew exactly what the terms called for and we agreed to them up front .... the fact is, the free three month trial period did us a good turn because we have been able to decide against taking out the service without costing us anything .... as noted the only surprise has been finding out that they don't offer HBO .... that part is my fault because over the time we were making decisions we got several list of their programing and HBO isn't on the list .... I simply didn't pay close enough attention
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:19 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:45 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Yes Jim, and like others, at the end of that trial period, they will start charging.
yep, in this case it really doesn't bother me .... we knew exactly what the terms called for and we agreed to them up front .... the fact is, the free three month trial period did us a good turn because we have been able to decide against taking out the service without costing us anything .... as noted the only surprise has been finding out that they don't offer HBO .... that part is my fault because over the time we were making decisions we got several list of their programing and HBO isn't on the list .... I simply didn't pay close enough attention
Yep, guess there is no problem testing the waters per say. If Ya like it, keep it, if not then simply cancel at the end of three months. Ya might spend an hour on the phone to do so, but, that's just the world we live in now. ;)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:03 pm

UPDATE : in the much relieved column ===> one of my sister-in-laws downloaded the DISH Satellite Finder onto her Iphone .... she drove over to the site in the Estelline City Campground where we spend our summer and took the picture below .... the house is directly across street and all three of the western arc satellites can be seen in the sky .... based on that, our camper's system shouldn't have any problem locking onto a good signal .... :D
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (41.61 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:20 pm

used the Dish once again today I suspected that a large tree would prevent our roof satellite dish from being able to lock onto a signal .... after parking turned on the app and it indicated that the tree was in fact blocking the signal .... after setting up, turned on the roof dish, didn't take long to confirm that it wasn't locking on to a signal .... used the app again and found that if I placed our portable dish only a few feet from our camper (shown below) it should work well ... it quickly confirmed that once again the app was accurate .... we are now settled in for the evening watching the Western Channel .. :D
Attachments
200106 001 @ Sherling Lake 004.jpg
200106 001 @ Sherling Lake 004.jpg (80 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 pm

another first in our association with Dish .... we are setup in Willis, TX and will be here for 20 days .... on top of that we will be in this general area until late March .... we were told that Dish would change our service to get local channels when we are too far from our home area to receive them .... the call literally took a couple of minutes .... just checked and the Houston local stations are there .... I have no clue what is what but should be able to figure it out .... must admit I'm impressed with how everything worked so smoothly
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:14 pm

That campground you are currently in a person needs to be a member to camp there is that correct Jim.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:17 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:14 pm
That campground you are currently in a person needs to be a member to camp there is that correct Jim.
not any more .... non members can reserve a site .... don't know what the charge is but suspect it will be on par with a KOA
0 x