Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Switching To DISH

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Switching To DISH

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 pm

well, we've been with Direct TV for well over 20 years .... that will end next week .... a couple of days ago I called them so as to replace a remote control .... the new remote arrived today .... it is the same model as our old one .... programmed it and it will do everything but cut the TV off/on .... called their customer service and after working through the process, they said the had no clue why it wasn't doing so .... when they went on to say that it really didn't matter because all of their customers with equipment like ours are being systematically moved to upgrade their equipment .... given the upgrade would be done at no out of pocket expense to us .... we currently have one receiver at home and one in the camper .... with their new system we will still have 2 receivers but both will have to operate through the main home receiver .... not having any interest in purchasing a second plan for our camper, we just signed up with Dish .... our current dome roof antenna will work with Dish so that's no problem .... we will have to purchase a replacement portable antenna .... suggestions from folks who camp and use a remote antenna with Dish Satellite service would be appreciated ....
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Switching To DISH

Post by markiver54 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Don't blame you Jim. We, and our neighbors have ALL been having problems with Direct TV. Thinking of switching to another service for those reasons. Seems to be ever since AT&T took over.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 pm

our experience has been that since AT&T took over Direct, several major changes have taken place and all of them are bad .... a couple of them are its much harder to get to speak to a person when calling their customer service .... and, when you do, a high percentage of the time you are speaking to someone for whom American English isn't there first language ....
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:30 pm

We dropped DirecTV several years ago. Mostly for technical reasons related to our weather/rain and at times just thick cloud cover. We did FiosTV for a while, but stopped that when got into streaming movies and shows directly from the internet. Saved close to $200 a month.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:44 pm

Jim I have a winegard carryout. I just put it on the roof take the wally receiver from my main tv at the house hook up the cable to the sateliite hook up on the fifth wheel. After that hook up the wally receiver to the tv and the rest is pretty easy. The wingard runs off or 12 volt has a cigarette light plug in on it. I have a converter I just plug into the wall. Mine is an older one but it still works. I think they have newer and improved models now.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:33 am

What’s this “TV” you speak of?
3 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:37 am

We have had Dish for many years now and are happy with the service. It used to be hard to get service but every year they improve. We have a Wineguard Traveler on our RV and it works perfectly. We also have two 211 receivers in the RV and a Hopper system in our home. We can now switch them on and off with our IPhone so we only pay for them when we use them.
On the road we have all the channels we have at home except for the locals of course.

Dish is a little spendy, but we think it's worth it, especially on rainy days on the road.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:37 am
It used to be hard to get service but every year they improve. We have a Wineguard Traveler on our RV and it works perfectly.
good to hear that service has improved .... we spend our summers west of the Twin Cities in South Dakota and were concerned about the level of Dish's service in the northern parts of the country .... we have a 3 year old Wineguard Carry Out G2 mounted on our camper .... it performs well .... my understanding is it only takes flipping 2 switches to convert it from receiving Direct and Dish .... I'm now looking for one to mount on a tripod for use when our roof mounted antenna is blocked by trees or other obstructions

cooperhawk wrote:
We can now switch them on and off with our IPhone so we only pay for them when we use them. On the road we have all the channels we have at home except for the locals of course.
we need to check into being able to do this with my wife's IPhone .... the reality is, our camper averages being used more than once each month so I don't know how often it would pay us to have them cut it off

cooperhawk wrote:
Dish is a little spendy, but we think it's worth it, especially on rainy days on the road.
we did lose some channels, none that are important to us .... switching to Dish will almost cut our monthly bill in half ....
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:15 am

It's a place in Oregon.
Redthies wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:33 am
What’s this “TV” you speak of?
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:33 am

That was an optional comment I was going to make...
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF