Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Switching To DISH

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Switching To DISH

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:42 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 am
I am setting up a "Chromecast" unit for use when we cannot get a satellite due to trees, ect. What that does is let you use Dish "Sling" to access your programs through cell phone towers using Dish Anywhere. Pretty slick.

Here's the one problem that solves. When traveling on short trips and you request "Locals" for your current location, your Hopper will not record at your home even if it's left on. Using the Chromecast I can access the locals over the cell tower without requesting Dish to change my service address.
someday I hope to be able to understand concepts like this .. :?
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:30 pm

OK, learned something .... if you are watching the TV in our camper, the only show you can record is the one you are watching .... if the TV/Wally receiver is off, you can record any program for which you have a signal .... :idea:
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Well, we have two receivers, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom. We can watch in the bedroom and still record in the lounge where the hard drive is.
Now with the Tailgater I'm not sure you can do that. I think that one only locks on one satellite at a time. We have a "Taveler" on the roof.

If your Hopper is set up with a wifi connection in your home, then you can use "Sling" to access it at your home where ever you are, using the internet and using a smart phone.
Just download the app and use your hot spot. Now once you've done that, use either a Chromecast or Firestick to transfer that signal from your phone
to your TV. Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

We go traveling for six weeks at a time and I use this stuff all the time.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 pm

maybe we can camp together down the line when we are in eastern South Dakota next summer .. :?: .. I'd sure like to see your setup
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:38 am

Could happen.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 pm

well, after sending them a monthly check for service for just under 19 years, we have officially canceled our service with Direct TV / AT&T .... no drama, the rep I spoke with was courteous .... based on her tone, I expect a call from their marketing folks .... they are welcome to call but what's done is done ....our equipment is so old that none of it has to be returned, no surprise there .... they are going to send a prepaid envelope for us to return the control cards (for lack of a better term) from our receivers .... just ordered a Winegard CarryOut G2+ to use as our portable antenna for use when we cannot lock onto a signal with our 3 year old CarryOut G2 .... it should be here on Tuesday .... it should fit our current tripod, that's another good thing ..... as noted in another thread, we are pleased with the level of performance we received this weekend from DISH ....
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:37 pm

now the spam mail begins. :( We cancelled DTV years ago. We still get "we want you back" invitations in mail every month or so.
JEBar wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 pm
... we have officially canceled our service with Direct TV / AT&T ....
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 pm

Mags wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:37 pm
now the spam mail begins. :( We cancelled DTV years ago. We still get "we want you back" invitations in mail every month or so.
JEBar wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 pm
... we have officially canceled our service with Direct TV / AT&T ....
Here, here...we, unfortunately are still
In the grips of DTV/AT&T. Hope to change that soon. DTV was ok, until AT&T stepped in!!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Been there, years ago when we moved here. Because of trees and hills poor OTA reception and no cable service and no internet then. Back then DTV, Hughes and Dish were the only options for us. Hughes and Dish weren't very good then.
markiver54 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 pm
Here, here...we, unfortunately are still
In the grips of DTV/AT&T. Hope to change that soon. DTV was ok, until AT&T stepped in!!!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:17 pm

sadly, we have noticed a gradual decline in customer service since AT&T took over ..... we never had any problem with their equipment which they backed .... they are losing customers because of their decision to phase out old plans and equipment .... frankly, they are so big that they won't miss our business and I tend to believe we will end up feeling much the same way about them
1 x