Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Switching To DISH

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: Switching To DISH

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:47 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am
wonder how long it will take for me to get used to the numbers used by DISH . :?
Don't know about Direct but Dish has the option to select a list of your favorites and then that's all you have to look at.
I use it all the time.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:17 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:47 pm
JEBar wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am
wonder how long it will take for me to get used to the numbers used by DISH . :?
Don't know about Direct but Dish has the option to select a list of your favorites and then that's all you have to look at.
I use it all the time.
Thanks for that info Coop because we've about had it with DTV!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:20 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:47 pm
Don't know about Direct but Dish has the option to select a list of your favorites and then that's all you have to look at. I use it all the time.
we know its there but haven't ever used it
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:35 pm

The Dish tech was here this afternoon. It took an hour and he climbed the roof and replaced the feed horns, switched out the switch box in the basement, installed both a Hopper 3 and a new Joey in my Man Cave. He also set everything up and gave me a lesson on the new voice activated remotes. The High Def is even better and everything is working just fine.
It cost me a one time fee of $50.00 and an extra $3.00 a month. The old tuner, or DVR would record 4 channels at once. The new one will record 16. This tuner also has a feature called "Sling". That means we can watch Dish on our I phones and using a Fire Stick to a TV anywhere we go.

We are pleased.
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 pm

great to hear .... they are supposed to be at our place tomorrow afternoon to install the equipment in our home .... the receiver for our camper is supposed to be delivered tomorrow .... we've already reset the camper's roof mounted dome antenna for DISH .... its my understanding that it will require a call to get it turned on .... still debating which portable dome antenna to order .... hope to figure that out and order it next week .... do you have any concerns about using the voice activated remote .. :?: .. I've heard stories that Google monitors the voice commands
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 pm
great to hear .... they are supposed to be at our place tomorrow afternoon to install the equipment in our home .... the receiver for our camper is supposed to be delivered tomorrow .... we've already reset the camper's roof mounted dome antenna for DISH .... its my understanding that it will require a call to get it turned on .... still debating which portable dome antenna to order .... hope to figure that out and order it next week .... do you have any concerns about using the voice activated remote .. :?: .. I've heard stories that Google monitors the voice commands
We are all being monitored by many different entities. :o
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:11 pm

If you think Direct TV is bad, you have a surprise coming!
0 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:16 pm

our issue with Direct wasn't with the picture we received .... it was with a major change in the type of signal they are going to send and the equipment they are going to force their customers like us to convert to
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:35 pm

... and then both Siri and Alexa started laughing.
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 pm
JEBar wrote:
We are all being monitored by many different entities. :o
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:47 pm

All voice activated devices monitor for voice commands. That's how they work. Question is do they listen to other things? I think Google might. Case in point.
About 2 weeks ago I was using Google Maps from my phone for turn by turn directions. I didn't 'start' the turn by turn immediately since I knew how to get where I was going half way. When I did 'start' Google maps it started giving me directions along the route I'd already passed. I said out loud "I'm already passed that sweetheart." Google responded with some sort of smart a$$ answer about being called sweetheart. Total surprise! I didn't know Google Maps could/would do that.
JEBar wrote:
... I've heard stories that Google monitors the voice commands
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234