Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bucket List

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Bucket List

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:10 pm

PatientWolf wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 am
markiver54 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:43 pm
Thought I would throw this out there out of curiosity.
The highest percentage of us are older, so, I'm figuring many might have some thoughts on this issue. Maybe some have already satisfied their desires.
I don't expect a whole lot, but, there are a few things I would still like to do and places to see.
My first career transferred me across the country, so I became a career renter. Main thing on my list was to buy my own home so I had a place to leave to my son. I achieved that at a late age.
Although I have traveled the country a lot, still have not seen the Grand Canyon...hope to do so.
Anyway, I think of this topic a lot anymore, as I'm not getting any younger and a couple health issues are prompting these thoughts. :)
Please share if you wish to. Maybe things already realized, or things planned/hoped for.😊🤔

Mark
Mark, after you visit the Grand Canyon, I strongly recommend driving through Flagstaff down into Sedona by way of Oak Creek Canyon. I loved the area around Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. It’s one of those areas I could very happily retire to someday.

Pat
Thank you for the tip PW! :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:13 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:51 pm
Adding to PatientWolf's suggestion, Schnebly Hill Road out of Sedona. Very rough back road with beautiful views of rock formations and vistas. One of my pictures here: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... oad#p63167
markiver54 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:43 pm
Although I have traveled the country a lot, still have not seen the Grand Canyon...hope to do so.

Mark
PatientWolf wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 am
Mark, after you visit the Grand Canyon, I strongly recommend driving through Flagstaff down into Sedona by way of Oak Creek Canyon. I loved the area around Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. It’s one of those areas I could very happily retire to someday.

Pat
WOW that's beautiful Mags!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Now don't get all excited or anything but I actually did "inquire" about a little bucket list item of mine for maybe next year....

cat00425_03.jpg
cat00425_03.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
pix595138429.jpg
pix595138429.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
A Cimarron/Pedersoli Sharps Billy Dixon rifle in......45-70. Yes, considering reloading that round specifically for this rifle. Why? Just cuz I love this firearm. Like I said, it's a long way off and still just looking into things but if I was to move to another caliber and reload it, this would be the rifle to make me do it. We'll see. ;)...it's a big step for me, and still on the fence but no harm in checking right?....likely a pretty pricey rifle by the time we convert it to Can$...
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 pm

SWEET RR!! can certainly understand your interest!
Makes me think of Quigly. You resemble that rifle.😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Now all that left on my bucket list is a Lever Action Rifle a Marlin .444
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Bucket List... :roll:

I had a few things on mine.

A Muscle Car for one.
Early Mustang or Firebird say, Late 60s...
or Mid 50s to Mid 60s Vette.

There are a few guns still on the list

IF I should come across one, at a good price,
or I sell a few of the training Glocks living in the safe from my Teaching days.
I am not out actively searching, or digging thru gunshows:

A Colt Diamondback in .38 (To partner with the .22 Caliber I bought in the early 80s)

A Nice Stag Gripped Single Action 38/357 with Stag Grips. Doesn't have to be a real Colt, A Ruger or Uberti will work.

Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911 45 Stainless. I borrowed one while my Springfield Match gun was being built and won two matches with it. The owner wouldn't sell it as he had promised it to his son. Not only a beautiful gun, but WAY more accurate than I.

M1 Garand National Match - Getting scarce these days, and way dear to purchase, but I shot one when shooting for the Marine Team in Hawaii and it was Killer in the High Power matches. Then we switched to the M-14s. So, I guess a Match M-1A, the civilian version of the M-14 would do. :D

A Thompson SubMachine Gun, but the SemiAuto version. Heavy Dog, but way cool. Stick mag, don't need the drum. Not practical, don't NEED one, just always liked them.

None of these things are priorities. Miss T and I count ourselves lucky these days.
Some advice for those of you who have Bucket Lists of things you REALLY want to do or see, want to have while you can enjoy them.

Try and make them happen now.

I had a lot of things on my original list for when I retired.

Trout Streams to fish high in the mountains.
Wading the flats and casting the 8wt fly rods at the bone fish in the keys,
Flats Boats in the Caribbean and those big boys down there.
We wanted to take the long trips we put off when the kids were living at home.
Criss cross the country and see all the sights, take a few more cruises, just the two of us, especially the Alaskan cruise...
After teaching firearms for years and attending NRA Schools and the Instructor School at Quantico, I was going to attend the shooting schools at Blackwater and Gunsite, just because I had the time.

With just five years to go to full retirement, there was an unexpected turn in my health and I retired early on medical disability. ;) Wow, Early Retirement, with pay. :) Folks all got Jealous and started saying "Lucky You." :evil: "Man, it must be nice to just do what you want all the time."

Can't wade the trout streams, though I can fly fish from the kayaks.
Can't really attend the shooting schools, not really. They would make allowances for the chair, but it wouldn't be the same. I can shoot on my range.. for which I am grateful, but ;)
We can't really criss cross the country because long drives are painful. Don't spend much time in the truck anymore.
Wow, Early Retirement... :?

I don't look back at all the things I can't do, although I know a lot of folks at the VA that spend all their time doing just that. I look forward to all the things I CAN do.

I included this part... so those of you who have the time can see that maybe you might want to take the time NOW to tick off a few items on your list... just in case.
You never know what tomorrow will bring.

"There's always tomorrow" they always say. Maybe not.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 pm

AMEN Jim. Very well put and great advise...the bucket list can only become reality if one is ABLE to realize it.
Life is much too short. Enjoy while you still can!!!
I sure hope to.
I don't expect to fill my bucket, just put some good memories in it.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:05 pm

I remember one item. Get rid of as much stuff as possible. My dad didn't do that and it was a mess. Don't want my kids to go through that after I'm gone.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:12 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:05 pm
I remember one item. Get rid of as much stuff as possible. My dad didn't do that and it was a mess. Don't want my kids to go through that after I'm gone.
VERY good point Mags!! We are already whittling away at that one.
Something everyone should think about!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:17 pm

Like what kind of stuff are you getting rid of.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55