Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Smoking cessation

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Smoking cessation

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Theres no decision Mark is quitting end of story
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 pm
Yessir, just as soon as he makes up his mind to do so. :)
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Let Markiver speak for himself...
Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ratchet
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ratchet » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 pm

I smoked for about seven years. Woke up one morning and just didn’t want to smoke anymore. That was about 27 years ago. You can do it. I recently read about a research study that said more people have success quitting for good when they go cold turkey. You can do it.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Mags wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 pm
Let Markiver speak for himself...
Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
He already has
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:20 am

Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 pm
Mark the one problem that I see is that you haven't made up your mind that you absolutely will do this thing and that is the first step. I smoked from my teens to my early 40s. I said I quit a number of times, once for nearly a year, but I hadn't made up my mind yet to make it happen. At about the age of 40 I had gone through 3 packs on a Sunday as that was about average for me, had the last one about 11:30 that night and went to bed leaving the pack and Zippo on the coffee table. 3 months later the wife ask what she was supposed to do with that pack because she was tired of dusting them. Until you've decided for yourself to quit all you're going to do is torture yourself. Gums, pills and all the other so-called aids do more harm than good until you've made that mental transition. Vaping is just as bad, if not worse than smoking. Two weeks ago I had an acquaintance who's 14 year old son died from vaping. He developed what they called wet lung and from that a bacterial infection that ended his young life in a matter of 2 days. As with any addiction, coming out on top is totally up to the individual. For me it wasn't the cost or even health issues that made me quit. It was the idea I developed in my head that I was more of a man than to let something like this beat me. It has to be a personal thing and you have to have something to prove to yourself to make it happen. On the lighter side, it gets easier every day but it is a day to day, minute to minute battle at the start but it quickly gets easier.

Good Luck in your decision!

Thanks OS. I had decided, even before recent medical issues that I DID want to quit, just had not made the move yet. The wife smokes also, so I guess that was part of the delay in my attempt.
I have always been aware of the ill effects, just had the stupid thought, ( this probably won't happen to me ). I guess my motivation and wake up call came from these recent problems.
Again, I HAVE made up my mind, so, maybe this will not be as hard as I think.
I appreciate your input! Definitely motivational!!

0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:59 am

Ratchet wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 pm
I smoked for about seven years. Woke up one morning and just didn’t want to smoke anymore. That was about 27 years ago. You can do it. I recently read about a research study that said more people have success quitting for good when they go cold turkey. You can do it.
I can appreciate what you are saying Ratchet and applaud you for the will power to go cold turkey.
Guess I'm just going with what seems to be the easier way out. We didn't have Drugs like Chantix years ago, so cold turkey was the way. Nicotine is a drug, and just like some others require weaning away from. That is what Chantix is all about. Smoke the first week, while cutting back, and then, starting week two, put them down for good.
Note: I did try cold turkey years ago and didn't last a full day. :x
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:20 am
I have always been aware of the ill effects, just had the stupid thought, ( this probably won't happen to me ). I guess my motivation and wake up call came from these recent problems.
Again, I HAVE made up my mind, so, maybe this will not be as hard as I think.
Ah, Mark, you crossed the line and have made up your mind. Good show!👍

Thought I'd chime in about some positive things, which happened after I quit. I had not smoked a cigarette for over 20 years. And then my 2001 happened. I joined the Cardiac Club two months after 9/11, and had a heart attack. The paramedics located near my office got there quickly, and bottom line, their work saved my life. It did get serious as I red-lined while they were moving me from the ambulance to the ER; they really responded quickly to that! Always will be grateful to those fellows.

That was first positive. Second, had a good cardiac surgeon get a hold of me, and the stent implant to my 100%-blocked front heart artery was successful, and a breeze to go through. When on the table, he told me I was so calm he wasn't going to put me in never-never land; so I watched the whole procedure on a medical monitor.

Third positive was my cardiac rehab experience. Tough to do that recovery regimen, but most worthwhile for my health. I remember distinctly how weak I was....a heart attack does tend to beat a person up. The cardiac rehab team was super attentive, friendly and helpful. They were also gung-ho that I do the rehab right! Primary instructions for ongoing health watch were: #1 ~~ NO SMOKING and #2 ~~ NO SNOW SHOVELING (my heart attack was in dead of wintertime). Had to go through some brochures fully explaining all the medical impacts of smoking on the body (head training). I may have heard again from them that the "nicotine addiction" only lasts about 24 hours or so. They encouraged everybody, especially the smokers, to give it up or never smoke. They didn't want to ever see us visiting them again! Thankfully, I never did. :D

So those were the big three positives for me on quitting. It's now been 19 years since I joined the Club. And glad to say that I've had very little subsequent challenges with the surgical repair I had done.

Glad to see the Henry Folk come alongside and encourage you. I look forward to hearing from you that "maybe this will not be as hard as I think."

Best as you keep on keepin' on.
Bob
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:23 am

VERY inspiring Bob and glad you are a survivor. Your time to input all this information is very much appreciated and I WILL reference it along the way if I feel weak. Along with the input and support of everyone else here who have jumped in to help....how could I fail? 😁 fingers are crossed as I work toward week 2 of the meds, at which time, it all stops!
Thank you again!, and everyone else. Will report my progress along the way.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:27 am

Since you have been our Huckleberry for a while now its time for us to be youre Huckleberry Mark
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55