Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Smoking cessation

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Smoking cessation

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:33 am

We're all rooting for you, Mark! Keep us posted.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks Dave. Thought about the Vaping thing. Think I will give the Chantix a try first, and then who knows.
BTW...you pretty much described my smoking profile exactly.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:38 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:33 am
We're all rooting for you, Mark! Keep us posted.
Thanks Stan, I think I'm gonna need all the help I can get!! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 am

You can do it, Mark! As we discussed, everything happens for a reason, and the reasons are stacked up now for you to make this life-changing (and life-improving) move!

Chantix helped a family member quit for good, and he was one of those "multiple" quitters, who had done it several times.

I quit nearly 20 years ago, before Chantix existed and the the medical technology has come a long way. Between that and the list of reasons that "now is the time," you'll pull through just fine!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:39 am

I only smoked in the last couple of years of high school. It was “cool”. They went from $1.50 to $1.65 per pack, and I said “this is nuts”! I recently bought a pack of Colts (little rum dipped cigarillos like Prime Times but with a way cooler name)to take on a spring turkey hunting trip for the boys around the campfire, and they were $14!!!! Good lord! Who can afford that kind of habit?

I’ve quit all of my vices at one point or another, and like everything in life, it’s a matter of willpower. Today I still enjoy all my vices, but in moderation. I don’t have an addictive mind/body so as long as my health isn’t affected, I’ll continue to moderate.

Mark, you can do it! Heavy smoking is a nasty thing to be addicted to, and the amount of money saved will let you buy more Henrys! That should be motivation enough, without the health benefits thrown on top!
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am

As PT shared, for most the addiction disappears after a day or two. My sister in-law quit cold turkey. She got it in her head that she wasn't going to spend/waste anymore money on them. Said she found it easier to quit by denying herself the money for them. Get on with it and don't cave!
markiver54 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 pm
Almost embarrassed to say in this day and age, that I have been a heavy smoker and fearful of my will power to quit. I now find myself at a point when it is mandatory. I will be having back surgery soon and have also been diagnosed with a deep vein blood clot in my leg that I will start on meds for tomorrow. Just wondering if any out there have smoked, or do,and have tried to quit .
Were you successful? I hope so, and guess I'm just looking for some support here from my Henry friends! ;)
Kinda like Marines' post on dieting. Sorry, just trying everything, as a support mechanism to help me succeed. ;)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:06 am

Thank you for the encouragement James! And aside from the health issues, there is the incentive of money saved. Maybe at some point, if I succeed, I WILL reward myself with a new Henry! 😁
Your input and support is much appreciated.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:13 am

There is no "if". You will succeed! With the average price for a pack in NC around $4.90 you should be able to save a lot toward that new Henry!
markiver54 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:06 am
Thank you for the encouragement James! And aside from the health issues, there is the incentive of money saved. Maybe at some point, if I succeed, I WILL reward myself with a new Henry! 😁
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:17 am

Mags wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:13 am
There is no "if". You will succeed! With the average price for a pack in NC around $4.90 you should be able to save a lot toward that new Henry!
markiver54 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:06 am
Ya got that right. I figure at that price would only take 2 to 3 months to cover a new one! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:22 am

I quit smoking in my mid 20s over 30 years ago.
I never really smoked that heavy but I realized early on it served no purpose and was detrimental to my health. My mother also quit about this time as well.
Unfortunately my father continued to smoke and around 2008 began to have heart and lung issues and was soon on supplemental oxygen and little by little his health began fail.
Long story short but he was diagnosed with COPD and passed away from it in 2014.
I support any and all your efforts to quit jowever the biggest hurdles to quitting smoking are arrogance and pride. These two things can 'overrule' any attempts one has made to quit be it through artificial or intentional means.
Take some time and 'introspect' and see if you can be honest with yourself about why you do smoke - if you can answer this honestly, and can overcome the reasons, quitting will be much easier.
1 x