Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Smoking cessation

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Smoking cessation

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Good luck.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Whenever you feel the urge, go shoot instead.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 pm
Whenever you feel the urge, go shoot instead.
Sound like great therapy.. :D
Great advice!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 pm

Might have to change my avatar.😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 pm

I Smoked from the age of 13. I am 56 now and just quit smoking June 28th. I had cut back to 10 a day for the past few years. It was time. I quit cold turkey. I was a mess for the first two weeks. Now I hardly think about them. I had tried many times quitting and always failed. This time I did it one day at a time one hour at a time. I feel real good about it now. I think my success is due to NO CHEATING. Not even a puff. In the past I would cheat and all I was doing was resetting my addiction. Once I got past a few weeks the cravings were much less and I wasn't feeling like it had a hold on me any longer.
I also had a blood Clot in my leg a few years back. I had to have knee surgery and was laid up for quite a while. Went in for a follow up with my doctor and he discovered I had a clot. I had to do the injections in my stomach for a month and then blood thinners for another 6 months after that. It's no fun but I got through it and got back to being able to work along side my younger coworkers.
Good luck to You! You can do it!
1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Lyman wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 pm
I Smoked from the age of 13. I am 56 now and just quit smoking June 28th. I had cut back to 10 a day for the past few years. It was time. I quit cold turkey. I was a mess for the first two weeks. Now I hardly think about them. I had tried many times quitting and always failed. This time I did it one day at a time one hour at a time. I feel real good about it now. I think my success is due to NO CHEATING. Not even a puff. In the past I would cheat and all I was doing was resetting my addiction. Once I got past a few weeks the cravings were much less and I wasn't feeling like it had a hold on me any longer.
I also had a blood Clot in my leg a few years back. I had to have knee surgery and was laid up for quite a while. Went in for a follow up with my doctor and he discovered I had a clot. I had to do the injections in my stomach for a month and then blood thinners for another 6 months after that. It's no fun but I got through it and got back to being able to work along side my younger coworkers.
Thank you Lyman! Starting Xerelto tomorrow for the clotting. Don't know if I spelled the drug right, however, that will be taken in tandem with the Chantix. I am my own worst enemy at the moment. Current physical events have all but ruined my summer.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:11 pm

This too shall pass.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 pm
Lyman wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 pm
Thank you Lyman! Starting Xerelto tomorrow for the clotting. Don't know if I spelled the drug right, however, that will be taken in tandem with the Chantix. I am my own worst enemy at the moment. Current physical events have all but ruined my summer.
Oh, you got lucky and don't have to do the injections. good for you. I felt like a pin cushion for a while. I have heard that both of the drugs you mention work well.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:15 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:11 pm
This too shall pass.
Guess you're right RR. Hopefully it will and I don't... :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:19 am

I started at 14 and smoked until I was 63, was up to 2 packs a day. When I retired I realized I couldn't afford to spend over $300 a month on cigarettes. I did vape when I quit and don't know how I would have done without vaping. I spent several months getting to zero nicotine vape juice and then I quit inhaling. I vape very rarely now but it is there when I occasionally get a strong urge for a smoke. It's been over 3 years since I've had a single puff on a cigarette.

Good luck, do whatever it takes to quit. I wish I had quit many years ago, still have pretty noticeable shortness of breath but at least my smoker's cough is gone.
2 x