Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Whiskey, Rattler, Pistol & Uranium

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Whiskey, Rattler, Pistol & Uranium

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:42 am

What do these four things have in common?

They were all found in a traffic stop in OK. :shock:

Excerpt:
https://start.att.net/news/read/article ... egory/news+

Police officers in Guthrie, Oklahoma, who thought they were carrying out a routine stop of a car whose tag had expired came across a rather unusual stash.

Stephen Jennings was driving with Rachel Rivera in the passenger's seat of a stolen Ford vehicle when they were stopped by officers at around 11 a.m. on June 25. Officers found there was another passenger in the car—a timber rattlesnake.

Bodycam footage shows one officer spotting the serpent in a storage box on the back seat and exclaiming: "That sucker is huge," KFor reported.

Jennings admitted to police that he also had a pistol in the console and officers then found an open bottle of Kentucky Deluxe whiskey—but that was not all.

A search of the vehicle also unearthed a canister of radioactive powdered uranium.

With classic understatement, Guthrie Police Sgt. Anthony Gibbs said, "There's quite a few unanswered questions. So now he's got a rattlesnake, a stolen vehicle, firearm, and somebody under arrest," he said.
More from OK local news: https://kfor.com/2019/07/10/logan-co-ma ... ky-deluxe/
4 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Whiskey, Rattler, Pistol & Uranium

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:50 am

Now that's a news report, Gunney! Of the four finds, the uranium is the most surprising to me.
Makes a person wonder.... :roll:
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:14 am

There is a country song in this somewhere.....
5 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

PT7 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:50 am
Now that's a news report, Gunney! Of the four finds, the uranium is the most surprising to me.
Makes a person wonder.... :roll:
You can buy it on Amazon. $40 & free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uraniu ... ullets-btf
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am

I'd be prone to stay a long way from the uranium and within decent shotgun range of the rattler :?
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am
I'd be prone to stay a long way from the uranium and within decent shotgun range of the rattler :?

One of my dads brothers was a uranium prospector in the Dakota's back in the late 40's thru the 50's. Made a pretty good living at it selling his claims to the Government back then. He showed me some sample ore when we visited once when I was about 7 or 8 yo. The stuff is about as hazardous as a hunk of lead, unless you powder it and sprinkle it on your breakfast. :lol:

His biggest worry was claim jumpers.

But the media is making a big deal out of a small rock. :roll: No surprise there.
3 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm

ya they are. media hype/exaggeration "...vehicle filled with uranium..." (emphasis added on the word 'filled').
GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 am
But the media is making a big deal out of a small rock. :roll: No surprise there.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Mags wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm
ya they are. media hype/exaggeration "...vehicle filled with uranium..." (emphasis added on the word 'filled').
GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 am
Maybe some country music star will turn this story into a song. Got all the makings. :)
1 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 am

Gunny made me curious so I had to research the uses of uranium of this type and was surprised to find out just how benign this stuff really is. Like most I would have thought it more hazardous than it is. Some of the uses for it such as coloring glass are rather interesting also. The uranium would be lightyears easier on you to handle than that snake.
1 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:21 am

Old Syko wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 am
Gunny made me curious so I had to research the uses of uranium of this type and was surprised to find out just how benign this stuff really is. Like most I would have thought it more hazardous than it is. Some of the uses for it such as coloring glass are rather interesting also. The uranium would be lightyears easier on you to handle than that snake.
Caught me early this am. I'm only on my 2nd cuppa. But yeah, it is widely used. Actually the use of the ore itself goes back several thousand years because of the variety of colors (bright yellow, green, black, etc. ). It was used for paints, including face painting, by ancient peoples.

As a side note but somewhat related, DU (depleted uranium) besides being used for ammo, is used on commercial and military aircraft. It's formed into a variety of shapes and weights for balancing rudders and other control surfaces. It's heavier than lead, and more durable so makes an excellent weight and balance part. It's also a little warm to the touch, but not hazardous for this use.
0 x