Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Whiskey, Rattler, Pistol & Uranium

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Whiskey, Rattler, Pistol & Uranium

Post by Old Syko » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:21 am
Old Syko wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 am
Gunny made me curious so I had to research the uses of uranium of this type and was surprised to find out just how benign this stuff really is. Like most I would have thought it more hazardous than it is. Some of the uses for it such as coloring glass are rather interesting also. The uranium would be lightyears easier on you to handle than that snake.
Caught me early this am. I'm only on my 2nd cuppa. But yeah, it is widely used. Actually the use of the ore itself goes back several thousand years because of the variety of colors (bright yellow, green, black, etc. ). It was used for paints, including face painting, by ancient peoples.

As a side note but somewhat related, DU (depleted uranium) besides being used for ammo, is used on commercial and military aircraft. It's formed into a variety of shapes and weights for balancing rudders and other control surfaces. It's heavier than lead, and more durable so makes an excellent weight and balance part. It's also a little warm to the touch, but not hazardous for this use.
I was surprised to find it used in ships and aircraft as ballast due to the very high melting point. I would have thought that to negate some of these uses since it's neither cheap or easy to deal with molds that will accept such temperatures. I just imagine pouring this stuff in the quantities it would take as ships ballast and at those temps would be a site to see. I've spent time in steel mills and such but this would be altogether different I suspect.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 am

Old Syko wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:21 am
Old Syko wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 am
Gunny made me curious so I had to research the uses of uranium of this type and was surprised to find out just how benign this stuff really is. Like most I would have thought it more hazardous than it is. Some of the uses for it such as coloring glass are rather interesting also. The uranium would be lightyears easier on you to handle than that snake.
Caught me early this am. I'm only on my 2nd cuppa. But yeah, it is widely used. Actually the use of the ore itself goes back several thousand years because of the variety of colors (bright yellow, green, black, etc. ). It was used for paints, including face painting, by ancient peoples.

As a side note but somewhat related, DU (depleted uranium) besides being used for ammo, is used on commercial and military aircraft. It's formed into a variety of shapes and weights for balancing rudders and other control surfaces. It's heavier than lead, and more durable so makes an excellent weight and balance part. It's also a little warm to the touch, but not hazardous for this use.
I was surprised to find it used in ships and aircraft as ballast due to the very high melting point. I would have thought that to negate some of these uses since it's neither cheap or easy to deal with molds that will accept such temperatures. I just imagine pouring this stuff in the quantities it would take as ships ballast and at those temps would be a site to see. I've spent time in steel mills and such but this would be altogether different I suspect.
I don't know the processes used for this purpose. I had a small part on my desk as a paperweight when I was with Boeing - a light silver gray color. Anyway, here's some info on the various colors you'll find in the ore. And there are many pics of the various ores if you google images.

https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/co ... -by-colors
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 am

:? Maybe they were headed back in time. :?
Didn't the Delorean in Back to the Future run off of Uranium?
Made they have a time machine somewhere. :lol:

I heard about on the radio the other morning.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:17 pm

You can't make this stuff up, can you? It's tempting to say "Only in Oklahoma," but we all know that's not accurate! Craziness knows no boundaries!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357