Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Am I On The Ledge? If So, Talk Me Down!

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Am I On The Ledge? If So, Talk Me Down!

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:37 am

Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:37 am
So you're afraid to ding the old Winchester but you want to trade it for a fancy new side gate??? Do you intend to stop shooting altogether?

actually, I don't know if he and I have the same line of thought but I tend to feel the same way .... I have some firearms that have been passed down from my grandfather .... none are fancy, all were used for hunting, all have plenty of "character" .... that said, I'm determined to pass them down in as good or better condition as they were when I received them .... the firearms I've purchased new are all active shooters, all have earned their blemishes .... I don't enjoy putting a ding in their wood, where the same new ding in one of my grandfather's would really bother me .... for that reason, I don't take them out to a range anywhere near as often as I do the ones I purchased
0 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:37 am
Old Syko wrote:
So you're afraid to ding the old Winchester but you want to trade it for a fancy new side gate??? Do you intend to stop shooting altogether?

actually, I don't know if he and I have the same line of thought but I tend to feel the same way .... I have some firearms that have been passed down from my grandfather .... none are fancy, all were used for hunting, all have plenty of "character" .... that said, I'm determined to pass them down in as good or better condition as they were when I received them .... the firearms I've purchased new are all active shooters, all have earned their blemishes .... I don't enjoy putting a ding in their wood, where the same new ding in one of my grandfather's would really bother me .... for that reason, I don't take them out to a range anywhere near as often as I do the ones I purchased
My point is, Tarbe said he's only had this gun for a year so it isn't a family heirloom it's a tool. If he's concerned with putting a ding in it how's he going to feel about brass that gets finger prints easily and an engraved stock. Personally, my grandpa, dad and others from whom I've inherited firearms would have an absolute fit if they knew I didn't use what they had left as it was intended and as they used them. As long as they're properly taken care of it shouldn't matter and I take better care of my guns than any of them ever did.

My concern here is that if Tarbe goes with something as picturesque as the new side gate it may be the end of his already minimalist shooting career altogether. If he keeps the Winny at least he will shoot some.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:03 am

Old rifles have been around a long time and might continue to after you have gone. You are just the current care taker at this time.
Decision is yours!
1 x

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 am

:twisted:
JEBar wrote:
Old Syko wrote:

Yup. That’s it.

This thing has survived 59 years and I don’t want to screw it up.
1 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Savage M99 308 (born in '57 like me!)
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308
Several Nasty Black Rifles :o

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:32 am

Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 am
JEBar wrote:
Old Syko wrote:

My point is, Tarbe said he's only had this gun for a year so it isn't a family heirloom it's a tool. If he's concerned with putting a ding in it how's he going to feel about brass that gets finger prints easily and an engraved stock. Personally, my grandpa, dad and others from whom I've inherited firearms would have an absolute fit if they knew I didn't use what they had left as it was intended and as they used them. As long as they're properly taken care of it shouldn't matter and I take better care of my guns than any of them ever did.

My concern here is that if Tarbe goes with something as picturesque as the new side gate it may be the end of his already minimalist shooting career altogether. If he keeps the Winny at least he will shoot some.
It isn’t about beauty. It is about care taking.

I have realized I don’t have the stomach to shoot and hunt a 59 year year old semi-collectible and risk the wear and tear.

A new Henry is going to get shot/used a lot more than I dare use this Winchester.

I have only so much money to tie up in guns. I’m thinking that having 5% of my gun money tied up in a gun I am nervous about using doesn’t suit my psyche.
0 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 am

I have friends with hundreds of guns they never shoot.

That would drive me nuts. I’d sell 75% of the guns and load up on more powder, primers, brass and bullets!
2 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 am

That is a real nice old Winchester. If it was mine I would keep it, try my best to look after it, and shoot it. I love my Henry 1860 too, and maintain it well but it has some unavoidable little marks on it now. But it always puts a smile on my face at the range. I hope your Winchester does too.
That rifle would suit one of these I think....just sayin' :)....best of luck with your decision.
Attachments
20a.jpg
20a.jpg (20.67 KiB) Viewed 910 times
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm

I have realized I don’t have the stomach to shoot and hunt a 59 year year old semi-collectible and risk the wear and tear.
59 years old is nothing and you could never shoot this rifle enough to risk any real wear and tear unless it were abused and not maintained. I routinely shoot many guns this old, or older, including a 119 year old Winchester.
Bottom line is this is not a 'vintage' rifle, has minimal collector appeal and as previously mentioned not a particularly desirable caliber for a mod 94. (look up Winchester Mod 94s in 25-35 if you want an example of a collectible rifle in a very desirable caliber)
And there is NO shortage of Winchester Mod 94s - including pre 64s.
Heck Like I mentioned I am selling (or trading) my 1899 Winchester for something I will shoot more and may be more 'collectible' even though it will be much newer (such as a few Smith & Wessons I am looking for)
In reality My Winchester while certainly 'vintage' is not that rare. If it were a carbine it WOULD be rare and very collectible but the 26" Sporting Rifles are relatively easy to find in fair, shootable condition.
1 x

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:44 pm

So what you’re saying is, ‘lighten up Francis”!

I guess you can tell I’m not a collector, lol.
0 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:46 pm

All right...I’m gonna put 50 rounds through it this weekend an see how I feel on Monday.

That is, if Barry doesn’t wobble his way west!
2 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308