Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Retirement

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Retirement

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 am

Rifletom wrote:Also have been retired about 2.5 years. Best job I ever had, this retirement deal! Still get up early to see my wife off to work. I'm never bored, I can always find something to do. A lot of handloading lately and shooting. Don't miss work at all.
Good thing is, at 68, I still feel pretty darn good. Always look forward to upland bird season. Take care all.
Good for you Tom. How well you feel has so much to do with it! I don't miss work at all either!!
BTW, when I lived in SoCal, I used to love dove hunting down near Calexico...fast shoot'n fun. Went through a lot of shells though! :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:41 am

Retirement is not as good as heaven will be but it's just a few pegs below....I love it.!!!...busy busy busy....but no stress from people or crap....I think it's great!!!!!!
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:38 am

Just a bit of advice to those about to retire or freshly retired and wanting to enjoy it. There is a word you need to practice, it's one syllable, should be used often and with force, or you will find you are busier than when you were working, but doing none of the things you dreamed of, because you don't have ANY free time. You are on the Board for this, Chair for that, Coordinating the upcoming, driving the grandkids every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon (Thanks so much)... Meals on Wheels, ... and Rose wants to talk to you about the greatest program tonight, you would be a perfect fit. ;)

One syllable...

No! Sorry, can't do it, I have other commitments. (An appointment with a fly rod.)

My mentor retired...

He couldn't / wouldn't say no. He stays busy five to six days a week. Several vet organizations, police groups, community groups, political action groups, always on the go. add to that teaching and volunteering as well. The various projects he planned for his retirement home are still half completed or sketches on his workshop wall, things he will get to domeday soon. Ten years after his retirement, and he is exhausted.

I call and and tell him he needs to take a day for himself, lets have lunch, at least coffee, just relax. He checks his calendar, it's usually ten days or more to find a slot to meet for coffee. He lived seven minutes away. :roll:

I tell him he needs to cut back, slow down a bit. Enjoy his retirement. He keeps saying this is the last year with this group or that group and then they tell him how much they need him... He is 82, and will never get to relax and enjoy retirement.

NO...

Practice it.
Use it.
You will thank me.

(Oh come on, you're retired, you've got nothing else to do.)
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 am

on the other hand:
It's FINE to join a volunteer organization you believe in, enjoy working with, and give some of your time...
You will make new friends, feel good about helping others, and ... well... help others.
Just... Don't get volunteered for everything. :P
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:48 am

I hear ya Jim,
They've already tried to turn me into the go to baby sitter and have also heard the "Oh come on, you're retired, you've got nothing else to do " :roll:
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:03 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:you will find you are busier than when you were working, but doing none of the things you dreamed of, because you don't have ANY free time

ain't that the truth .. :!:
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:46 pm

I volunteer for one thing only and that's it!
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:45 pm

I had the opportunity to have lunch with 3 gentlemen who I used to work with. Their time in retirement ranges from about 2 to 10 years. Clearly retirement is working well for them because they all look healthier than they did the day they retired. I hope I have the same good fortune when i am able to retire.
2 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:11 am

Well, different from others I see, but retirement is not in my vocabulary, lol. Still work about 45-50 Hours a Week. But I work for myself and work at my own pace. If I need an easier day, I take it. If I want to quit a little early, I do it. Although normal quitting time is about 7:30 PM, lol. Have no plans of ever "retiring", that is as long as my health keeps up. Y'all's way seems more fun though. But that said, I basically really enjoy my work.
2 x
NRA Member

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:19 am

I retired in 1993, I have never regretted it. Yes I could of stayed much longer , i was offered a golden handshake at 56 and took it. I just don’t have time to be bored, I have been fortunate to have excellent heath, I’m now waiting for the ewes to start lambing, there always seems like there is something to be done. Enjoy your retirement everyday.
Bill
2 x