Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Retirement

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Retirement

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 pm

4am every morning for this old cowpoke.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
dave77 wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
Wow Dave, you weren't getting much sleep back then.
I'm kinda like you now, up around 9:00 give or take. Heck, I can't get to sleep before 11:00 or 12:00.
Even if I have to go to the doctor or something, I ask for the latest appointment possible! :)
Yes, unless it's something urgent I always ask for a late morning or early afternoon appt. I've always hated rushing in the morning, I like time to sip my coffee, watch the news and glance at the newspaper before getting ready to go.
I always ask for a 1pm appt due to parking at the VA. It is terrible. If I have a morning appt, regardless of the time, I have to arrive before seven am or all the handicapped spaces are taken and I have trouble getting in and out of the vehicle and getting the chair out. Arrive too late, you might spend an hour looking for a space. Morning appt, I shoot to arrive by 645 at the latest, so I have to leave by 530.

10am appt means I doze in the chair, pay $7 for a $4 breakfast, and chat with a lot of new friends. With a 1pm appt, I get there around 1130, and folks have gone to lunch, freeing up those blue spaces. I might wait thirty minutes but one will open. :D
Sure wish it was easier for you than thar!! :x
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 pm

RanchRoper wrote:4am every morning for this old cowpoke.
Dang...can't even imagine, but good for you RR!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm

Wife and I have been retired for several years now. Time seems to go by quick too!
Myself...no medical issues yet and still have all my original parts and I stay busy doing things around the home and my range property.

Today I cut the grass and then washed my 2014 Ram quad cab truck which takes a while to do and had some time to wash off the light pollen
on my '85 Mustang LX which gets on it even though it's parked in the garage.

Tomorrow wife and I are going down to the range for some plinking and to check on the trail cameras and the new deer feeder.

Always plenty to do but we start the day with a good breakfast and the morning dog walk.

I don't miss the 5:00 AM wake up at all and working on busted stamping dies! :D
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Cofisher wrote:I use a CBD salve on wrist and shoulder. It helps. It has nothing to do with getting high. Just a good analgesic. I recommend it to all.
I think at this point, I will try it soon. My Dad, still alive at 87 even uses it. Can't hurt anything but the wallet to try I guess.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 pm

markiver54 wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:
dave77 wrote:
Yes, unless it's something urgent I always ask for a late morning or early afternoon appt. I've always hated rushing in the morning, I like time to sip my coffee, watch the news and glance at the newspaper before getting ready to go.
I always ask for a 1pm appt due to parking at the VA. It is terrible. If I have a morning appt, regardless of the time, I have to arrive before seven am or all the handicapped spaces are taken and I have trouble getting in and out of the vehicle and getting the chair out. Arrive too late, you might spend an hour looking for a space. Morning appt, I shoot to arrive by 645 at the latest, so I have to leave by 530.

10am appt means I doze in the chair, pay $7 for a $4 breakfast, and chat with a lot of new friends. With a 1pm appt, I get there around 1130, and folks have gone to lunch, freeing up those blue spaces. I might wait thirty minutes but one will open. :D
I am not complaining about my condition, just the parking. :)
My condition is the price I've paid for the life I was allowed to lead, the places I been, things I have seen, and done, people I have met. Rarely was it boring for long. ;)

When watching tv with friends, you see Trafalgar Square in the movies, or Buckingham Palace... I can say... Been there.
A Fjord in Norway, Gitmo, Spain, Italy.. There too. I had someone ask if I would do it the same knowing the price? Yup... With Pride.
:lol:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:42 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:

I am not complaining about my condition, just the parking. :)
My condition is the price I've paid for the life I was allowed to lead, the places I been, things I have seen, and done, people I have met. Rarely was it boring for long. ;)

When watching tv with friends, you see Trafalgar Square in the movies, or Buckingham Palace... I can say... Been there.
A Fjord in Norway, Gitmo, Spain, Italy.. There too. I had someone ask if I would do it the same knowing the price? Yup... With Pride.
:lol:
Big kudos for you Marine!!! You served!! Once again, thank you soooo much for your service. Hope you can make the most of the rest of your time, hoping it will be lengthy and enjoyable.. :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Wife just retired after selling her care home she owned for 30 years. Shes an angel from above. Taking care of the elderly isnt for everybody and there is not any money in it. Shes been away from it now for a little over 6 weeks and having a great time. Ive been where Im at for 33 years. Boss man says dont quit. I said ok I will stay awhile longer. Im lucky with good health and I ride that bicycle faithfully over 100 miles a week to stay that way. Im working on 67 probably wont retire till Im 68. Im pretty lucky to have what I do.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 am

BigAl52 wrote:Wife just retired after selling her care home she owned for 30 years. Shes an angel from above. Taking care of the elderly isnt for everybody and there is not any money in it. Shes been away from it now for a little over 6 weeks and having a great time. Ive been where Im at for 33 years. Boss man says dont quit. I said ok I will stay awhile longer. Im lucky with good health and I ride that bicycle faithfully over 100 miles a week to stay that way. Im working on 67 probably wont retire till Im 68. Im pretty lucky to have what I do.
Good to hear all is well wth you and your wife Al. Congrats to her on her retirement. You are lucky to have your health and have a live in care taker if ya start ailing. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:33 am

Also have been retired about 2.5 years. Best job I ever had, this retirement deal! Still get up early to see my wife off to work. I'm never bored, I can always find something to do. A lot of handloading lately and shooting. Don't miss work at all.
Good thing is, at 68, I still feel pretty darn good. Always look forward to upland bird season. Take care all.
2 x