Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Retirement

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Retirement

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm

I am retired now only for about 2 1/2 years. I'm not bored at all yet as many told me I would be.
Of those who are retired, ( sure there are quite a few ) considering the age graph, how many are truly happy with more time on their hands...assumption of course.
I just love being on my own time clock now! No more bed at 9:30 and up at 5:30. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Retirement

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 pm

I would be much happier, if I was physically able to do all the things Miss T and I had put off til retirement. But, I have time to work in the woodshop, learning leatherworking, fish and shoot when I'm up to it, and I'm waking up each morning without an evil laugh in the background and 1,000 degree temps. I'm golden.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:I would be much happier, if I was physically able to do all the things Miss T and I had put off til retirement. But, I have time to work in the woodshop, learning leatherworking, fish and shoot when I'm up to it, and I'm waking up each morning without an evil laugh in the background and 1,000 degree temps. I'm golden.
I hear ya Jim. I too have some physical limitations at this point, ;) but still couldn't be happier living my own schedule! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Like they say, nobody's tombstone reads "if only I'd spent more time at the office".

Glad you are enjoying yourself.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:20 pm

markiver54 wrote:I am retired now only for about 2 1/2 years. I'm not bored at all yet as many told me I would be.
Of those who are retired, ( sure there are quite a few ) considering the age graph, how many are truly happy with more time on their hands...assumption of course.
I just love being on my own time clock now! No more bed at 9:30 and up at 5:30. :D
I was always more like bed at midnight or later and up at 5:00. Now I'm very rarely up earlier than 9:00.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm

markiver54 wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:I would be much happier, if I was physically able to do all the things Miss T and I had put off til retirement. But, I have time to work in the woodshop, learning leatherworking, fish and shoot when I'm up to it, and I'm waking up each morning without an evil laugh in the background and 1,000 degree temps. I'm golden.
I hear ya Jim. I too have some physical limitations at this point, ;) but still couldn't be happier living my own schedule! :)
Ditto, I'm still able to do all my chores around my place but it is getting harder. Need to get my other knee replaced, should make things easier. My replaced knee was getting so bad I could hardly walk a couple of blocks, it's been 4 years now and it's still pain free.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:40 pm

dave77 wrote:
markiver54 wrote:I am retired now only for about 2 1/2 years. I'm not bored at all yet as many told me I would be.
I was always more like bed at midnight or later and up at 5:00. Now I'm very rarely up earlier than 9:00.
Wow Dave, you weren't getting much sleep back then.
I'm kinda like you now, up around 9:00 give or take. Heck, I can't get to sleep before 11:00 or 12:00.
Even if I have to go to the doctor or something, I ask for the latest appointment possible! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:47 pm

I retired once, I recommend it to everyone. I kept a part time job, which I still have.
A little over three years ago, I also went back to work full time. It took months to adjust back to full time. In January, I was promoted at the full time job and it became a three day a week job. I got some other considerations too. What I really needed was more time off. The four day weekends are great. I still am lucky enough to have my health.
My better half and I are looking for a small acreage. Nothing too big. I want to plant and tend a large garden, fruit trees, berry bushes and chickens. We are being smart, as this should be our last home. First floor master suite, no intricate landscaping etc.
I can't wait to retire again!
5 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

markiver54 wrote:
dave77 wrote:
Wow Dave, you weren't getting much sleep back then.
I'm kinda like you now, up around 9:00 give or take. Heck, I can't get to sleep before 11:00 or 12:00.
Even if I have to go to the doctor or something, I ask for the latest appointment possible! :)
Yes, unless it's something urgent I always ask for a late morning or early afternoon appt. I've always hated rushing in the morning, I like time to sip my coffee, watch the news and glance at the newspaper before getting ready to go.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm

daytime dave wrote:I retired once, I recommend it to everyone. I kept a part time job, which I still have.
A little over three years ago, I also went back to work full time. It took months to adjust back to full time. In January, I was promoted at the full time job and it became a three day a week job. I got some other considerations too. What I really needed was more time off. The four day weekends are great. I still am lucky enough to have my health.
My better half and I are looking for a small acreage. Nothing too big. I want to plant and tend a large garden, fruit trees, berry bushes and chickens. We are being smart, as this should be our last home. First floor master suite, no intricate landscaping etc.
I can't wait to retire again!
I know you deserve it Dave! Sounds like great future plans!
I hope all your dreams come to fruition while still in good health!! :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry