Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun Rant

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Gun Rant

Post by clovishound » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm

I was reading a novel the other day, and the author was talking about how much more lethal a military rifle round was, than a hunting rifle round.

And I've been thinking all these years that a partitioned, hollow point round in, say .223 or .308, was more lethal than a military 5.56 or .308 fmj.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:22 pm

clovishound wrote:I was reading a novel the other day, and the author was talking about how much more lethal a military rifle round was, than a hunting rifle round.

And I've been thinking all these years that a partitioned, hollow point round in, say .223 or .308, was more lethal than a military 5.56 or .308 fmj.
I had also wondered why a 5.56 round is so devastating being that there not that big and not a hollow point, I've heard it's because when they hit they start tumbling.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:14 pm

What makes you think that a person who wrote a novel knows what he or she is writing about as to firearms? I catch mistakes on television and in the movies concerning gun time frames and other things a lot. A perfect example is Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL shows Civil War soldiers firing Trap Door Springfields. What about the cop shows shooting semi-auto handguns and not only do they talk in normal voices afterward but there is no empty brass.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I almost forgot to add that I have friends that are combat veterans from recent middle east action. They all say that over there the 7.65 (308) is a lot better than the 5.56.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Yes, I was just watching a Chicago PD episode and they had a full on gun battle with 9mm's and full auto AR's inside a warehouse and everyone was hearing just fine afterwards.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:29 pm

dave77 wrote:Yes, I was just watching a Chicago PD episode and they had a full on gun battle with 9mm's and full auto AR's inside a warehouse and everyone was hearing just fine afterwards.
WHAT DID YOU SAY !! :lol:
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Travlin wrote:I almost forgot to add that I have friends that are combat veterans from recent middle east action. They all say that over there the 7.65 (308) is a lot better than the 5.56.
I think you meant 7.62 but we know what you mean about it being a better choice. It's the round used in the M-14, or its civilian version. It's a hard hitting accurate round, and rifle, but both the rifle and it's ammo were significantly heavier than the M16 and the 5.56 round that replaced them. Once they got the new rifle and ammo dialed in, you had a lighter accurate weapon that fit the needs of most boots on the ground, and they could carry more ammo for the same weight penalty.

Me? I shot both the Garand and the M14 in High Power Competition, as well as the M16. The M16s I shot at the time were okay back to 500 yards but couldn't compete on the 600 yard line with some rounds going into the targets sideways. (Aka keyholing.). The 7.62 National Match Ammo and the Match Grade M14s ruled. :D
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:00 pm

cooperhawk wrote:Don't know if this would interest you, but my favorite author of all time is an Englishman named "Patrick O'Brien". He spent his early years in the British Admiralty researching the Napoleonic wars. His novels feature a British sea captain and his best friend as they fight through the war in different commands. The prose and detail is so great that his writings are considered Literature. I have read all of his works and even the half one he was completing when he died.

If you saw the movie "Master and Commander the Far Side of the World" starring Russel Crowe, that was a compilation of two of his novels.

https://www.patrickobrian.com
I am a huge fan of this genre and these books are the very pinnacle, however, the jargon and nautical slang is constant and relentless and often you will read a phrase that just makes no sense. “The sloop lay in the harbor, her rigging all a Tanto”. You can google these weird phrases and lose so much time it ruins the flow of the story, and you may never find the actual meaning, or you can buy the companion glossary. Highly recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Companio ... B000SMP5T6

It is very important to read them in the order written, they make little sense otherwise. Plus it takes somebody dedicated to classic style writing, they are not easy the first time. Subsequent readings a few years later are much easier. The characters, action and running battles are terrific.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 pm

M-14 and match ammo is what my snipers used. Barrels were match grade also.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856