Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A few nice days

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

A few nice days

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 pm

We have had several nice sunny days here in our area. We had 74* here yesterday afternoon. I finally got a chance to clean my truck and my wife's Corolla up. Spent most of the time on hers as it is much newer than my every day vehicle that gets a lot of use hauling coal and wood. I am sure glad my truck has the rubber floor that I can just wipe up with a little cleaner and a rag after being to the coal yards. If I was buying a brand new truck I would have to go with the carpet delete and get the rubber mat. My old truck has held up very well and the guys here with their 5 year old pick ups with the rear bed sides rusted through above the tires can't believe it is 17 years old and approaching 200,000 miles and been in every winter since new. I found a couple new salt/rock nicks but nothing else and I can touch them up. This truck is rust free. The paint on this truck has held up very well for some thing that sits out most of the year. I keep it because of the 8' bed and the manual 5 speed with the V-6 that gives really good mileage for a pickup. I don't even mind that it is 2 wheel drive.
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: A few nice days

Post by daytime dave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 pm

That is amazing. That paint has done a great job. Has the truck been undercoated? The Northeast is horrible on vehicles in the winter.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Really nice truck, bandit. The most I ever got out of a vehicle was 283K as a daily drive and that was an '87 firebird. The electrical harness caught fire on a backed up interstate, and that was it. At the time, it didn't burn oil and ran as they day it left the plant.

Good Luck with yours,

BTW, both my vehicles are 6 cyl with 5 sp manual.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:10 pm

daytime dave wrote:That is amazing. That paint has done a great job. Has the truck been undercoated? The Northeast is horrible on vehicles in the winter.
I spent several days under this truck when I bought it coating the entire underneath and frame and all the suspension with a thick black grease with used motor oil mixed in to make it thin enough to brush it on. The places like in the doors or any tight areas where I couldn't get the brush in I sprayed it with Suzuki synthetic chain spray that gets really tacky after a few minutes. After it was on there several days I headed for some really dusty roads to get some dust on it to help hold it there. It has worked very well with keeping away the rust.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 pm

I’ve heard of people doing that style of rust proofing. Good to hear it works! My Land Cruiser is 99% rust free, but my 4Runner had some when I bought it. I’ve since welded new steel in everywhere there was rust, and the TARC* system has self activated to keep it nice.

*TARC = Toyota Active Rust Control. It is a healthy rear main seal leak that lightly coats the underside in oil on a continuous basis!
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:43 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
daytime dave wrote:That is amazing. That paint has done a great job. Has the truck been undercoated? The Northeast is horrible on vehicles in the winter.
I spent several days under this truck when I bought it coating the entire underneath and frame and all the suspension with a thick black grease with used motor oil mixed in to make it thin enough to brush it on. The places like in the doors or any tight areas where I couldn't get the brush in I sprayed it with Suzuki synthetic chain spray that gets really tacky after a few minutes. After it was on there several days I headed for some really dusty roads to get some dust on it to help hold it there. It has worked very well with keeping away the rust.
Wow, that's amazing. Incredible proof that it works, right in front of our eyes. Wow.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member