Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fiction or non-fiction

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Fiction or non-fiction

Post by clovishound » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm

I caught the bug early. Read everything of interest in the local library. Mostly I read Sci fi. Still do. I have branched out somewhat, and read the occasional no fiction, but Sci fi is still the major interest.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Some of what was sci fi since I was a child has become reality.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Big foot's a teddy bear or wookie. Godzilla trailer as a kid scared the cr@p out of me. Glad I grew out of it. Jurassic park would have been pure terror.
markiver54 wrote:
Mags wrote:.
I didn't. As a kid I was terrified of monsters, night terrors included. :twisted: I have no recollection of when I out grew that. :oops: But thankfully I did. Oh ya I was also terrified at night by paintings and portraits of people's faces. Their eyes glowed in the dark and followed my moments. :shock:
RanchRoper wrote:...I read Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine when I was 10 too...
Careful Mags, Big Foot might be out there!.... :o
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Big foot's a teddy bear or wookie. Godzilla trailer as a kid scared the cr@p out of me. Glad I grew out of it. Jurassic park would have been pure terror.
markiver54 wrote:
I didn't. As a kid I was terrified of monsters, night terrors included. :twisted: I have no recollection of when I out grew that. :oops: But thankfully I did. Oh ya I was also terrified at night by paintings and portraits of people's faces. Their eyes glowed in the dark and followed my moments. :shock:
Careful Mags, Big Foot might be out there!.... :o
:lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 am

In books, I read 90% fiction. TV is 90% documentaries. Old radio shows at night. Tales of the Texas Rangers from 1950-1952 is the current flavor.
Last edited by Redthies on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

csgrv
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by csgrv » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:38 am

I caught the bug early also, I have a Kindle with a large selection everything from the Constitution to Lord of the rings. Unfortunately after several cross county moves most of the actual books ended up at the local Library.
0 x
Long Ranger .308
H001Y .22lr
H003T .22lr
Whitworth .270
1991A1 .45
J-Frame .38
S&W .32 Hand Ejector

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 am

Redthies wrote:I pin books, I read 90% fiction. TV is 90% documentaries. Old radio shows at night. Tales of the Texas Rangers from 1950-1952 is the current flavour.
Nice balance!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:40 pm

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =10#p87327

In addition...I didn't begin my college education until I was 42, so when I was introduced to true literature, it blew my thirsty mind.

I took two semesters of Shakespeare and fell in love with it. The plays that hooked me are Henry IV (1 and 2), Henry V, Macbeth, Hamlet, The Tempest, and A Winter's Tale. I especially love Henry V, though; a profound telling of a wartime King and his "band of brothers."

During my first two semesters, I also took a Literature course where we studied Melville's Moby Dick, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground, and Kafka's Metamorphosis. All of these had a profound influence on my understanding and appreciation of writing as an art form.

As a young man of eighteen, the books that most influenced me are Herman Hesse's Narcissus and Goldmund and Siddhartha, and Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. I've read all of them many times through the years. I strongly recommend each of them as exquisite, well told stories with deep moral and ethical themes. Just wonderful!
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Mostly biographies... Just looking at my bookshelf of favorites, here are a few titles I have really enjoyed and have read multiple times:
'Nicholas and Alexandra' by Robert Massie (About the last Czar of Russia, his family, and Russia's move to communism)
'We Die Alone' and 'Sledge Patrol' by David Howarth (great books of true story survival in the artic during WWII)
'Kon-Tiki' by Thor Heyerdahl (Riding a raft across the entire Pacific Ocean... quite an adventure!)
'Stories for Boys' by Jack London (I don't know what kind of boys lived back then.. but these are quite the stories!)
'Endurance' by Alfred Lansing (Stranded in Antarctica, the ship is crushed, and you must self rescue you and your men, it takes over a year but Shackleton did it!)
Great books and could name many others, I love to read about real people and their stories
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:00 pm

markiver54 wrote:Some of what was sci fi since I was a child has become reality.
But where are our flying cars?

I want my flying car!

I'd much rather have that than a flip phone. "Beam me up Scotty" only got a laugh once or twice.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya