Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Crazy Story!

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Crazy Story!

Post by Lyman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:23 pm

1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Crazy Story!

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Nice cross-section of the barrel showing the slugs!
Lyman wrote:How much Luck can one guy have.
https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/07/hi ... 35-bullets
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:49 pm

What was most astonishing to me in this story was how the owner did not notice the increased weight of the firearm....they said it was to the additional amount loaded of about 8050 grains!! So easy to tell the difference when I load my .357 Big Boy with a full magazine load of 10 rounds.

One fortunate fellow for sure as the article "pointed" out. ;)
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Good grief. Further evidence that there are some people out there that just shouldn't own firearms.
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:55 pm

"Not really surprising...

Hi Point's social media account posted a picture on social media of some dude's 9mm carbine that he'd launched a squib into and then filled the barrel behind the squib with subsequent shots. Hi Point replaced the barrel under warranty, but some folks were amazed it didn't blow up.

It’s not surprising in a blowback gun, especially with a pistol cartridge.

Think about it: The breech isn't locked. The bolt is only held closed by its own mass and the weight of the recoil spring. Which is going to give first, the recoil spring or the walls of the barrel? In this case, the bolt is acting as a pressure relief valve.

Assuming someone who didn't notice that there were no holes appearing in the target was capable of noticing anything, he'd notice more flash and ejecta from the ejection port with each shot, accompanied by the brass being flung out of the gun with increasing force on every shot.

Similarly, someone stacking bullets behind a squib in a revolver should theoretically notice constantly increasing flash from the b/c gap with each shot."

https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.c ... ising.html
PT7 wrote:What was most astonishing to me in this story was how the owner did not notice the increased weight of the firearm....they said it was to the additional amount loaded of about 8050 grains!! So easy to tell the difference when I load my .357 Big Boy with a full magazine load of 10 rounds.
Why would the weight change greatly? The rounds were already in the magazine before firing.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:02 am

That is one lucky owner for sure, but Hi-Point Firearms deserve a big pat on the back for replacing the barrel free of charge under their warranty. It would have been well within their rights to charge for the replacement, so it's always good to hear about a company that stands by its products and good name in this way.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:00 am

I saw this on another forum and am not comvinced it is 'real'
There have been similar stories about stacked up squibs in barrels of other guns with the barrels cut neatly in half to show the results.
I had a squib once in a revolver and trust me - the sound was so different and with no evidence of the bullet striking the dirt bank I stopped right there.
To continue to shoot and stack up 35 would have probably required a reload. For someone to NOT realize something was wrong is abject stupidity.
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:40 am

Mistered wrote:I saw this on another forum and am not comvinced it is 'real'
There have been similar stories about stacked up squibs in barrels of other guns with the barrels cut neatly in half to show the results.
I had a squib once in a revolver and trust me - the sound was so different and with no evidence of the bullet striking the dirt bank I stopped right there.
To continue to shoot and stack up 35 would have probably required a reload. For someone to NOT realize something was wrong is abject stupidity.
I am no gunsmith, but when I saw the picture of that barrel cut-out, that's the thing that came to my mind. I have a hard time believing that was not intentional. I wonder why there is a space between the first and second round, and all the rest are packed tightly together. Pretty cool to see the rounds packed in the barrel like that though.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:22 pm

There are several forums now echoing the story. All point back to Hi-point's Instagram account as the source, where it is actually posted. I doubt Hi-point would stoop to lying about their cross-section findings. However they may have gotten duped by the gun owner. Stuffing rounds tight like that does not look feasible from firing.
Pudsky wrote:
Mistered wrote:I saw this on another forum and am not comvinced it is 'real'
I am no gunsmith, but when I saw the picture of that barrel cut-out, that's the thing that came to my mind. I have a hard time believing that was not intentional. I wonder why there is a space between the first and second round, and all the rest are packed tightly together. Pretty cool to see the rounds packed in the barrel like that though.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:08 pm

My first thought when I read the story was how did the shooter not realize something was wrong. While I have never had a squib the gun has got to be acting way different. And not hitting the target for that many rounds? Makes you wonder.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.