Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

This was very bad

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

This was very bad

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Every year we see about a dozen or more deer killed right here at our home. There is a crossing right at our mail box coming out of the woods. They are in our yard almost every day in the evenings going for water and the green grass along the fields. Some accidents with deer here have been real damaging to many cars and a one motor cycle. We have had a few make it to our front porch and die on the steps. We have never had one yet as bad as this one not far from where my daughter lives. This is not a good picture but shows what can happen with deer and car collisions. Thank God the women was not killed. Hit the wind shield pillar and tore the roof lose and went back between the roof and the tops of the doors. If that deer's head had hit her in the face with those antlers it could have been a very bad outcome.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: This was very bad

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Wow, Bandit. What a lucky (unlucky) woman!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Bandit,
What speed does a car need to go for such damage to happen?
<and>
Is the road by your house a race track?
I lived on such a two-lane racing zone in southern IL years ago, and we lost two of the kids' dogs there.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm

collisions with deer are all too common ....

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries. The actual numbers are probably higher because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures for deer accidents, rely on inconsistent state reporting- there is no standard reporting of deer accidents in the country yet, and a "reportable deer accident" varies significantly between states.

source : http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/deer ... stics.html

in our area ====> There were 53,775 animal-car collisions statewide from 2014 to 2016, the vast majority involving deer, according to the N.C. Department of Transportation. Fourteen people were killed as a result, and 3,356 were injured. The damage to vehicles topped $135 million.

Wake County, with ample populations of drivers and deer, consistently leads the state in animal-car collisions, with 730 last year

source : https://www.newsobserver.com/news/traff ... 74556.html
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:01 pm

PT7 wrote:Bandit,
What speed does a car need to go for such damage to happen?
<and>
Is the road by your house a race track?
I lived on such a two-lane racing zone in southern IL years ago, and we lost two of the kids' dogs there.

PT7
PT, The road past our home is straight but has dips with blind spots and drive ways but kids with those turbo cars souped up a 100 mph past our front yard would probably be a low estimate. The crotch rocket bikes are just a "whoosh and a blur" in the summer. Our home will get it again with the one of the cell phone users or a local drug head with air for a brain. It is just a matter of time to one comes through the house again. I am trying to get a contractor friend to line the boundary to our property with huge rocks. A guy told me it is against the law to put the rocks there it can cause some one to get hurt or killed. I told him it can get my wife or myself killed if they come through the living room or bedroom some day with out something to stop them. The state don't want to hear about putting in a guard rail. May have to go to a higher up but they all mostly think alike. Back to the deer picture we heard the women got a black eye. :o
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:04 pm

JEBar wrote:collisions with deer are all too common ....

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries. The actual numbers are probably higher because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures for deer accidents, rely on inconsistent state reporting- there is no standard reporting of deer accidents in the country yet, and a "reportable deer accident" varies significantly between states.

source : http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/deer ... stics.html

in our area ====> There were 53,775 animal-car collisions statewide from 2014 to 2016, the vast majority involving deer, according to the N.C. Department of Transportation. Fourteen people were killed as a result, and 3,356 were injured. The damage to vehicles topped $135 million.

Wake County, with ample populations of drivers and deer, consistently leads the state in animal-car collisions, with 730 last year

source : https://www.newsobserver.com/news/traff ... 74556.html
Sounds to me like more people need to start eating venison, before Bambi has a chance for a ride-along. :roll: Opening up more land, encouraging more people to hunt, and extending deer seasons would help with the over-population problem and resulting death and damage.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Hooved rodents, indeed!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm

ESquared wrote:Hooved rodents, indeed!
We have about 1.75million whitetails in MS. That's about 3/4 of a deer per every man woman and child( ~ 2.95 million total people). Far fewer than that hunt, but I try to do my part every season. I normally will have 4-8 show on my property every year, and bag 1 or 2 every season.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.