Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun show visit

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Gun show visit

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:28 pm

They have shows in my area rather regularly, however, I have not been anywhere other than local gun stores in years. Wow...I learned a lot, but mainly, what I learned is that I know my own arms very well, but I will say that after today, I would't know a good deal on anything unless I had one of you with me. :lol: It was a BIG show. Had a lot of fun though! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Gun show visit

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 am

I have found that large gun shows can expose you to many guns you only may have read about. There are many types of sellers there too. I'm not sure I've ever seen a good deal advertised at a large or small gun show. I have negotiated a decent price for a gun I wanted. I have a few good local gun shops in my area that get good supplies of used guns and always have a decent selection of new guns. (There's nothing worse than walking into a gun shop who's sales display is smaller than your own collection, for me at least.) I haven't been in the gun buying mode in a long time. I did buy a rifle at a small gun show last year. It was a good deal to me and the seller. I just stopped into that show on a whim.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 am

its been at least 20 years since I've been to a gun show and can't remember ever buying anything at one .... I have looked then gone back later to our local Mom and Pop to order something I like at the show
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 am

We mainly went to gun shows to meet our supplier. Wait, that didn't sound right. :o

Back in the days of competition, we were shooting a lot of ammunition in practice and matches. Somewhere around 10k rounds each including all calibers. Most of us shot at least 38 and 45, I added 40 and 9mm to the list. We would call in a bulk order to GA Arms, our reloading supplier, and they would bring the pallet to the gunshow at no charge if we prepaid. No shipping costs. If you get five to ten guys ordering bullets, powder, primers, and accessories... They loved us.

We would wander the show floor after letting GA Arms know we were there... Checking out all the stuff. Every now and then I would add a speedloader, mag pouch, or other goody. Mostly we looked at all the guns. One of the dealers had Sonny Crockett's original Bren Tens and Miami Classic shoulder holsters from the first year of the TV show on display with all the documentation. 8-) They could be yours, back then, for $10k. :P

Once we were done, we'd drive around back to the GA Arms tractor Trailer, offload our orders into our trucks, and off we went.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:54 am

The whole world of rifles and reloading would give me a totally different perspective on gun shows. I may have to find one this winter and see it with new eyes...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:11 am

I liked to look at the things I could only dream of as well. Back then, one entire end of a lane was always taken by a dealer in high end shotguns. I am NOT a true shotgunner. I shot a little skeet as a high school kid, a little in the Corps, but no one ever had to shoot my hat. ;) This dealer had those fully engraved, inlaid, leather and teak cased, multi-barrels jobs that cost more than a good entry level BMW. Beautiful.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:34 am

ALL of your comments are like re-visiting the show. They are spot on as far as I see it. Funny...one seller had a whole line up of Henrys and not one was but a few dollars less than msrp. No thanks...rather deal with guys I know at my local gun stores. Was still fun to look. Interesting that I saw maybe three Colt Pythons at three different booths and all but one did not display the price. It was the least pretty and still wanted about $3000.00 if I remember correctly. :shock: I can see however that a show like that might benefit a reloader which I am not.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:22 pm

We hit most of the gun shows in our area on a regular basis, as much to visit with friends who tables, there, as for anything. Pretty tight knit shooting community, up here, so lots of socializing at our gun shows.

Gun shows are good places to buy ammo or loading components or obsolete gun parts and so on, but with the caveat that you know what you want and can recognize it when you see it. Gun shows are NOT good places for beginners or the poorly informed to buy guns. For one thing, you cannot depend on private sellers to even know the going prices on their guns. Some prices are downright absurd. Nor can you assume the seller even knows much about their guns, since a lot of guns get traded back and forth between sellers. I've been in the situation where I actually educate the seller on what they're selling, enough so that I'm sometimes stopped to answer questions when they see me, again, at another gun show.

In other words, enjoy gun shows for the experience, but do your homework before you even consider buying a gun, there.
2 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Have gotten some great deals at gun shows on a few occasions. Most of them have me wondering why I even bothered going.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:16 pm

North Country Gal wrote:We hit most of the gun shows in our area on a regular basis, as much to visit with friends who tables, there, as for anything. Pretty tight knit shooting community, up here, so lots of socializing at our gun shows.

Gun shows are good places to buy ammo or loading components or obsolete gun parts and so on, but with the caveat that you know what you want and can recognize it when you see it. Gun shows are NOT good places for beginners or the poorly informed to buy guns. For one thing, you cannot depend on private sellers to even know the going prices on their guns. Some prices are downright absurd. Nor can you assume the seller even knows much about their guns, since a lot of guns get traded back and forth between sellers. I've been in the situation where I actually educate the seller on what they're selling, enough so that I'm sometimes stopped to answer questions when they see me, again, at another gun show.

In other words, enjoy gun shows for the experience, but do your homework before you even consider buying a gun, there.
Kinda my take on it at this point. Thanks NCG!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry