Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun show visit

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Gun show visit

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Bugs wrote:Have gotten some great deals at gun shows on a few occasions. Most of them have me wondering why I even bothered going.
Same here, although I have gone to some pretty decent Estate auctions locally that have had literally hundreds of firearms on the block from documented Presentation antiques to fairly recent production. Some good deals can be had if you know how to bid. :)

Here's a recent local auction that had some very rare antique Colts.

http://jdstevensstables.com/20%20Oct%20 ... /Guns.html
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:16 pm

At the show I went to yesterday I saw a nice looking 1873 .44-40 Winchester rifle and according to the tag it was an 1876 issue.
Looked great for it's age and bet it could tell some great stories of it's history however for the 8000.00 asking price it didn't have a chance to talk to me!
0 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:19 pm

North Country Gal wrote:We hit most of the gun shows in our area on a regular basis, as much to visit with friends who tables, there, as for anything. Pretty tight knit shooting community, up here, so lots of socializing at our gun shows.

Gun shows are good places to buy ammo or loading components or obsolete gun parts and so on, but with the caveat that you know what you want and can recognize it when you see it. Gun shows are NOT good places for beginners or the poorly informed to buy guns. For one thing, you cannot depend on private sellers to even know the going prices on their guns. Some prices are downright absurd. Nor can you assume the seller even knows much about their guns, since a lot of guns get traded back and forth between sellers. I've been in the situation where I actually educate the seller on what they're selling, enough so that I'm sometimes stopped to answer questions when they see me, again, at another gun show.

In other words, enjoy gun shows for the experience, but do your homework before you even consider buying a gun, there.

Exactly! Have been on both sides of the tables for over 35 years and just like out in the woods hunting or deer camp, you never know what’s out there and you cannot beat the social aspects.
0 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:21 pm

daytime dave wrote:I have found that large gun shows can expose you to many guns you only may have read about. There are many types of sellers there too. I'm not sure I've ever seen a good deal advertised at a large or small gun show. I have negotiated a decent price for a gun I wanted. I have a few good local gun shops in my area that get good supplies of used guns and always have a decent selection of new guns. (There's nothing worse than walking into a gun shop who's sales display is smaller than your own collection, for me at least.) I haven't been in the gun buying mode in a long time. I did buy a rifle at a small gun show last year. It was a good deal to me and the seller. I just stopped into that show on a whim.
Dave, here in Central NY the good old gun shop is an endangered species, so the gun show is the only game in town.
1 x