Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The best and worst western movies:

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Morrow7x
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: The best and worst western movies:

Post by Morrow7x » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:20 pm

So many good ones here. A couple others that I've enjoyed over the years: Jimmy Stewart in 'The Naked Spur', good Durango area locations. Richard Farnsworth in 'The Grey Fox', maybe more of a Northwestern... Nicholson and Brando in 'The Missouri Breaks' (Frederic Forrest and Harry Dean Stanton are good in it too). It gets a bad rap, but I think that stems from Brando's character being a couple decades ahead of it's time for 1976 western movie audiences.

Worst? For my money: 'Dead man' with Johnny Depp.

If it's a Western, 'The Revenant' was the most anticipated/most disappointing movie for me in my 60 years. What a letdown...

https://entertainment.theonion.com/leon ... 1819578529
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:52 pm

'The Revenant' was the most anticipated/most disappointing movie for me in my 60 years.
I agree - I am glad I didn’t pay to see it. Heck I never made it through it on TV. I had a hard time understanding and following the story line. It was convoluted and literally made no sense.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Morrow7x wrote: If it's a Western, 'The Revenant' was the most anticipated/most disappointing movie for me in my 60 years. What a letdown...
I agree, too. Man In The Wilderness with Richard Harris (1971) was a far better film about the Hugh Glass story.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:40 pm

I just finished[almost!] "The stalking moon" with Gregory Peck, and the last 2.5 minutes were cut out! Arghh![YouTube]. Can one of you tell how that ended? Darn good movie tho. Thanks.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Rifletom wrote:I just finished[almost!] "The stalking moon" with Gregory Peck, and the last 2.5 minutes were cut out! Arghh![YouTube]. Can one of you tell how that ended? Darn good movie tho. Thanks.
wikipedia.org wrote:Salvaje (Nathaniel Narcisco) enters the ranch house through a window. Sam (Gregory Peck) blows out the kerosene lamp in order to hide in a dark corner. Sam shoots at him with a rifle and Salvaje flees, but he leaves a trail of blood.

Sam trails him and steps into a booby-trap that Salvaje has rigged with a knife. Sam is stabbed in the left thigh and bleeds profusely enough that he has to apply a tourniquet. The two men fight and eventually Sam shoots Salvaje three times as the warrior falls atop him, dying.

Sam manages to walk, stumble, and crawl back to the house, where Sarah (Eva Marie Saint) rushes out to help him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stalking_Moon
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks CT! I kinda figured the good guy was going to win, but.... It was a very good western. That was the first time I'd seen it. Go figure. Thanks again.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Ballad of Josey Wales
I think you mean ‘The Outlaw Josey Wales’
A ballad would be a song or sometimes a poem.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:16 pm

the word 'ballad' has also morphed to include tall tales and sensationalized stories.
Mistered wrote:
Ballad of Josey Wales
I think you mean ‘The Outlaw Josey Wales’
A ballad would be a song or sometimes a poem.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Morrow7x
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Morrow7x » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:31 pm

I was surprised last time I saw it, 'The Saga of Josey Wales' ;-) Wasn't just an entertaining shoot 'em up, it was a much better movie than I remembered.

(FWIW so is 'Dirty Harry'. Eastwood's little laugh after dropping the hammer on the empty chamber is chilling, but so easy to miss.)
0 x

octogon3030
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by octogon3030 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:35 pm

True Grit (John Wayne)
Rio Bravo
Unforgiven
Tombstone

True Grit (Jeff Bridges)
Wyatt Earp
Wild Wild West
1 x
Freedom is never free, Remember your Service Members and Veterans.