Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fast moving traffic

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Fast moving traffic

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Way back when right after getting married, we had a brand new '73 Mustang. Neighbor at the time put me shame saying I spent more time on the Mustang than with my new bride. :oops: Almost, but not quite that way now with my firearms and reading/researching about them. :D
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:...One day I timed it. I spent 3 3/4 Hours cleaning and waxing it, lol...
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Most of the time, these days, we drive about five to seven miles over the posted speed limit and try to stay in the right lane between the traffic packs. That gives you room to maneuver if you need it.
8-)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

bobtodrick
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by bobtodrick » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:46 pm

winner.jpg
winner.jpg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Henry's are my 'inexpensive' hobby.
Pales in comparison to what this has cost me over the years
0 x

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:05 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:Used to love going to the drag races. While stationed in Memphis as an instructor in the mid 80s, we would attend the NHRA event there. The big names of the era were still running, and my friends and I always spent the money for pit passes. Nothing like the feeling of standing just a few feet away, only a rope between you, when the crew fires up the funny car to tune the engine after swapping pistons following a qualifying run. This was the old days of NHRA when the top guys wives rode their bikes around the pit area and would stop and chat. The drivers themselves might come up and chat with those few fans still at the rope during down time. I really loved it.
YESSSSS!!!!! AND BREATHING IN THE LUNG BURNING, EYE WATERING NITRO FUMES!!! MAN THAT ALREADY GETS ME WOODY JUST THINKING IT ABOUT IT. I worked at Napa auto parts for 10yrs. And every time Ron Capps came to drag race in Pheonix AZ we would go to it.
2 x

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Mags wrote:Looks very nice still for 6 yrs old.

Know the feeling of being pushed down the freeway. Drove through LA area once. Couldn't keep to the speed limit. Almost bumper to bumper traffic doing 80+. Pressured to go the flow or get squished!
Some of the interstates here in the bigger cities always get really annoying. The speed limit is 75. People in the right lane want to go 55 and people in the left lane go 90+ you literally have to constantly change lanes just to go the speed limit.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 pm

In the late 70's early 80's, fake gas shortage days, the federal imposed speed limit was 55.
Firearmfanatic wrote:

Know the feeling of being pushed down the freeway. Drove through LA area once. Couldn't keep to the speed limit. Almost bumper to bumper traffic doing 80+. Pressured to go the flow or get squished!
Some of the interstates here in the bigger cities always get really annoying. The speed limit is 75. People in the right lane want to go 55 and people in the left lane go 90+ you literally have to constantly change lanes just to go the speed limit.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 am

Mags wrote:In the late 70's early 80's, fake gas shortage days, the federal imposed speed limit was 55.
Firearmfanatic wrote:

Yup you are absolutely correct. I remember that. And you were only allowed a certain amount of gallons per vehicle too.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:17 am

Memphis was a great track for fans. The pit layout put you up close and personal, and the midway where the vendors sales booths were located was a great place to wander. Ran into Kenny Bernstein in jeans, plain tshirt, sneakers, and a ball cap to hide that distinctive curly hair. I spoke to him and he grinned, put a finger to his lips in a shhhh motion and slipped on thru the crowd, enjoying the anonymity. I let him continue on.

Once I ran into Ms. John Force riding her bike around the pit loop. One of those single speed balloon tire beach cruisers? She was killing time while they worked on the car I guessed... A beauty. No fire suit, no sponsor's T, just pedal pusher ankle length black pants and sleeveless top, enjoying the day. She stopped for a water break, I asked her if she was enjoying the memphis weather, and she smiled. I asked if they were going to win this weekend, and panic appeared in her eyes. :shock: I told her I wasn't going to tell. She grinned. 8-)

Some of you geezers may remember seeing her on tv, guiding her hubby's car back after each burnout. Never seen anyone else do the firesuit such justice. :twisted:

The best part of the day every year? Standing on the low wall when the funny cars or top fuel dragsters came by and the pressure wave hit your chest. I loved it. ;)

Then orders moved the family, and I moved on... watching on tv. Hard to get a pit pass, and no matter how close you sit or how high the volume... :roll: ... you still can't feel that pressure wave in your living room. :cry:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:32 am

Tailgaters are extremely dangerous. Not only can they rear end YOU if you have to brake hard for an emergency... but in doing so, could push you into the situation you were attempting to avoid. I'll tap the brake lightly to flash the brake lights, or slow down to the exact speed limit to get them to pass. If them are still right there, I have no problem calling for assistance. Too much misdirected rage on the road today.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:04 am

Sold all my fast cars and bikes . I play with my Miata now . It is a super fun car to play with . This video shows it best .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3JqomBrA8&t=13s
Attachments
31052e3b-c7ef-42a7-8ccb-326dae03d99d 1.jpg
31052e3b-c7ef-42a7-8ccb-326dae03d99d 1.jpg (272.3 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
trike.jpg
trike.jpg (134.08 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Picture063-1.jpg
Picture063-1.jpg (77.92 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
0f6660f8-82fe-43fb-a140-b013bd17b7ca.jpg
0f6660f8-82fe-43fb-a140-b013bd17b7ca.jpg (244.33 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
2 x