Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fast moving traffic

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Fast moving traffic

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am

I decided to go to the drag races yesterday instead of deer hunting. The way I go is all but a few miles totally interstate. Wasn't on there long before I found out my normal speed of 75 MPH yesterday I had people on my bumper(which I hate) pushing me down the road. So I stepped it up to the traffic speed and it was 82-85 MPH except where there was work zones which were few. Well I did get there faster and had no problems which was good. I have five mountains on the interstate to go up but little '12 Toyota Corolla S with the manual transmission tanks them in stride. I never ever seen so many race cars at the track. They were having the points finals for about 5 tracks in the division all at one track. It was a packed house but not many actual spectators. All was mostly the car drivers and family members. Talk about some big fancy car haulers and touring buses towing them. I was amazed at this race and just thought what kind of income does this hobby take. I have never seen so many cars in each class. It was a 180 mile round trip to the track and even running faster than normal my average mileage was 38.9 mpg. I like this car for the mileage I get but still prefer a bigger car
to drive. On a 70-75 mph trip to the same track I usually get 40.2 mpg. Here is my little gas miser.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Fast moving traffic

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Looks very nice still for 6 yrs old.

Know the feeling of being pushed down the freeway. Drove through LA area once. Couldn't keep to the speed limit. Almost bumper to bumper traffic doing 80+. Pressured to go the flow or get squished!
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:36 am

We used to do the bulk of our driving for our long trips at night. Think about having most of the pushing traffic being eighteen wheelers... :o ... even in the SLOW lane. 8-) Of course the up side to this was there was little worry about speeding tickets, sitting in the "rocking chair."
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:45 am

Used to love going to the drag races. While stationed in Memphis as an instructor in the mid 80s, we would attend the NHRA event there. The big names of the era were still running, and my friends and I always spent the money for pit passes. Nothing like the feeling of standing just a few feet away, only a rope between you, when the crew fires up the funny car to tune the engine after swapping pistons following a qualifying run. This was the old days of NHRA when the top guys wives rode their bikes around the pit area and would stop and chat. The drivers themselves might come up and chat with those few fans still at the rope during down time. I really loved it.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 am

[quote="Mags"]Looks very nice still for 6 yrs old.

I detail bikes and cars and just like seeing them clean. If you can't clean your car up at least do the tires and wheels and it will actually look decent. Dirty tires and wheels on a car the whole car looks dirty. Here is a detailed engine compartment on my Corolla. 65,000 miles on the clock. Has 71,000 now.

2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:59 am

That is new car, show room clean. Very well done. At my place not possible. Gravel road, tree debris and tree pollen.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:27 pm

When they do that to me I slow down to 60. Then they go around, nothing more aggravating than being tailgated. I figure running that speed of 80 to 85 is just costing me more money. Anything over 68 mph and your just burning extra gas. I like clean cars to. I dont like riding in a dumpster. The back seat isnt made for fast food sacks and pop cans.
4 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Mags wrote:That is new car, show room clean. Very well done. At my place not possible. Gravel road, tree debris and tree pollen.
I can totally understand the gravel and dirt road thing having worked for quite a few years in a bike shop in W.Va. :shock: Turn off the main road and there just maybe a passable road there. :o I feel for those guys in W.Va. trying to keep their stuff nice. We have areas here the same way. I would rather drive back a gravel road than get another car through our house again. This was a W.Va. Harley that had some dried mud under the fenders and some under the engine. I don't believe he lived on a dirt road but got in some mud once in a while. The chrome took some time cleaning it up and I believe it was from sitting a lot maybe in a damp basement or garage. If they give me enough time I can usually get them to shine. ;) :D
0 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 pm

When I had my '72 HD Sportster, people would say that I cleaned it more than I rode it, lol.

It was all Black and Chrome.

One day I timed it. I spent 3 3/4 Hours cleaning and waxing it, lol.

It really helped that Harley gave my bike an exceptional paint job. No one would believe it was factory.
1 x
NRA Member

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:54 pm

BigAl52 wrote:When they do that to me I slow down to 60. Then they go around, nothing more aggravating than being tailgated.
I agree. Other than a truck going downhill fast as I know they are trying to build up speed to make the next hill, I also slow down when the traffic is trying to "push" me faster. I refuse to drive any faster than I want to. Also hate Tailgaters myself. If they are on my bumper, after a short while they'll get my Brake Lights. If that doesn't work, I just slow down a little bit more. I also always stay in the Right Lane unless I'm passing someone. If they don't like my speed, they can always pass me.
0 x
NRA Member