Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

May be out of touch for a week or so...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

May be out of touch for a week or so...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 am

We have the contractor coming tomorrow to start removing the old carpet from the majority of the house and replace it with laminate wood flooring. This will make it much easier to get around in the house with the cane, walker, and when it becomes mandatory, the chair. Until then, I'll be much safer, since I have that right foot that tends to drag the toe when I am tired. The docs suggest that was a major contributing factor in the fall a couple years ago that shattered that femur.

The crew tells us it will take about a week, as they have to:

Move the furniture in each room affected.
Remove the carpet and padding.
Insure the floor below is solid and level.
Sand and vacuum.
Lay, glue, and nail the floor.
Put in new baseboards and thresholds.
Then clean up.
Finally move all the furniture back into position.

I am going to ask them to do the home office first, so we can start putting that room back together, plus it's at the back of the house.

We may be able to leave the modem up and running, and stay in contact via the tablets.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: May be out of touch for a week or so...

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:15 am

We also removed carpeting in our house and replaced it with either wood flooring or tile. For us, carpeting was just a bad idea, since we are constantly in and out of the house, tracking in mud and dirt from all our outdoor activities. Then, too, we have dogs. All in all, carpeting is not a good choice for our very outdoorsy lifestyle. I can understand why wood floors would also be a better choice in your situation. Hope all goes well and you're happy with the results.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 am

The crew arrived this morning, and there is good news. They will work with us, starting in the home office and work forward from there. They can move the furniture from side to side or room to room and I put a long cord on the modem and moved it to a room that isn't involved. We can avoid withdrawals.
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 am

I hope everything goes well for you, BM - I'm sure it will look superb when it is finished. What type/color of laminate are you going to have?
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:45 am

We got a dark interlocking laminate with a cork backing, 25 year warranty, 20 mil wear layer. I think.(Whatever all that means) Miss T did research ad infinitum for six months, reading this and that to me over the top of her tablet for weeks on end. I helped choose a color in a quality that fit her profile. :D

I'll post a few pics in the days to come, before and after shots as well as a pic of the box the flooring came in. Always try and keep a record in case we need replacement pieces. :D This applies to siding, shingles, tile, whatever. If your spares run out, and you have to reorder... nice to have the info right at hand. ;)
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am

Best of luck with the project. Sounds like you'll end up with a great situation! Have become more of a hardwood and tile vs. carpeting fan myself over the years.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:42 am

My friends tell me I've been out of touch for years.

Somehow I don't think they are talking about the same thing you are.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Hope all goes well BoM
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pm

A quick peek at the job so far. I apologize in advance for the poor pic quality. My good cam is packed away during the work with other stuff piled in front, but I will put up some High Rez pics with the job is fully complete.

First, the home office prior to the start of the job...
den before.jpg
den before.jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Note the more than two decade old carpet, my Grandmother's old corner china hutch in the corner, and the computer desk all for reference. Then all that stuff was moved out.. and the crew did their thing.

Here is an after shot... poor quality though it is.
den after.jpg
den after.jpg (92.06 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Note that the China Hutch has morphed into the Treadlock Gun Safe. It was always my intention to move the gun safe from the master bedroom to the home office. The office has motion detection, Glass Break on the window, and the office door itself is alarmed. There is very little access to this room, when we have guests, the door to the office is closed and normally remains closed. The China hutch will be placed in a corner of the master bedroom and filled with Knicknacks and "crap" too good to toss. :?

The new floor is visible (sorta) in this pic. Again, sorry for the quality of the photos.

Here is a look at the Living Room, the target for tomorrow. As you can see, it's in chaos.
living room chaos.jpg
living room chaos.jpg (146.89 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
The furniture is crowded to one side and half the carpet is already been taken up, bare wood showing. It really grinds my ... teeth. :roll: I am a bit anal and like everything in it's place. But... we have just a couple more days and we really like the guy assigned to do this job. His assistant.. is a nice old guy but a bit lazy and slow. I can tell he is annoying the guy and think he may be gone tomorrow. They should be done with the job by Friday... and we'll get everything reorganized... taking the chance to Declutter a bit more as we put a hand on each item again ... and toss a few. :lol:

The worst part of the home office and the living room was breaking down the computer, and for the living room, taking apart the TV, Receiver, and home theater system. I spent an hour carefully labeling each wire for the hookup position on the back of the receiver... I want to be able to grab a wire and KNOW where it needs to go so all the systems will power up and green light.

The computer did. :D
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Again... sorry about the crappy pics.
High rez at the end.
0 x