Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What about a good colonoscopy prep thread?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: What about a good colonoscopy prep thread?

Post by dave77 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Mags wrote:.
Well, initially the prep didn't taste that bad. But by the 5th glass of 16 total, it was getting old and unpleasant. Don't know it was the prep or the lemon flavor pack, but a nasty after taste accumulated in my mouth like artificial sweetner.

Had several polyps removed, visually benign, but some sent for biopsy anyway. Should have results in a couple weeks. So many, now means I should be getting one of these yearly for a while :(

Had breakfast for lunch. A colonoscopy prep teaches appreciation for good food.
Ditto for me, used some lemon Chrystal Light and drinking the first dose I thought this isn't too bad. By the time I finished the 3rd qt. it tasted terrible, at least the instructions said if you felt nauseated you could eat 5 saltine crackers. I only had to drink 12 glasses but have to get up at 4:30 and drink another quart.

Just finished Dinner, can of chicken broth and a cup of Jello, might spurge and have another cup of Jello. Can't wait for my midnight snack, another can of broth and a cup of Jello. At least there is a Dairy Queen right next to the Clinic, I may even have a Blizzard with my burger and fries.

Sorry to hear about your need for yearly colonoscopies, hopefully they won't be required that often for long.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 am

My dosage was also 2 part. 8 8oz cups 15 minutes apart. Then a 4 hour break followed by 8 more doses. I was pretty well cleaned out after the first 8.

If I'm good next year, then they move me out to 2 years for the next one and if still good then 5 years.

Best of luck to you with yours tomorrow.
dave77 wrote:
Mags wrote:.
Well, initially the prep didn't taste that bad. But by the 5th glass of 16 total, it was getting old and unpleasant. Don't know it was the prep or the lemon flavor pack, but a nasty after taste accumulated in my mouth like artificial sweetner.

Had several polyps removed, visually benign, but some sent for biopsy anyway. Should have results in a couple weeks. So many, now means I should be getting one of these yearly for a while :(

Had breakfast for lunch. A colonoscopy prep teaches appreciation for good food.
Ditto for me, used some lemon Chrystal Light and drinking the first dose I thought this isn't too bad. By the time I finished the 3rd qt. it tasted terrible, at least the instructions said if you felt nauseated you could eat 5 saltine crackers. I only had to drink 12 glasses but have to get up at 4:30 and drink another quart.

Just finished Dinner, can of chicken broth and a cup of Jello, might spurge and have another cup of Jello. Can't wait for my midnight snack, another can of broth and a cup of Jello. At least there is a Dairy Queen right next to the Clinic, I may even have a Blizzard with my burger and fries.

Sorry to hear about your need for yearly colonoscopies, hopefully they won't be required that often for long.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 pm

They canceled my colonoscopy, they said some people are harder to get cleaned out and I guess I'm one of them. So, I get to do an "extended prep" next month. Have to do a clear liquid diet for 2 days and have to drink an extra 1/2 gallon of the Colyte. I was starving after 1 day of liquids but I guess a burger and fries will be even better after 2 days.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Eat more Oatmeal Dave
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 pm

black coffee helps with suppressing the hunger. my prep instructions listed some dark liquids like black coffee as part of the clear liquid diet.
dave77 wrote:They canceled my colonoscopy, they said some people are harder to get cleaned out and I guess I'm one of them. So, I get to do an "extended prep" next month. Have to do a clear liquid diet for 2 days and have to drink an extra 1/2 gallon of the Colyte. I was starving after 1 day of liquids but I guess a burger and fries will be even better after 2 days.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm

On the clear liquid only day I had 3 lg. coffees (with sugar), 2- 1 liter bottles of flavored water, a couple of glasses of plain water, 3 cans of broth, 2- 4 packs of Jello cups and of course the 3 liters of Colyte. I was peeing every hour. The nurse said I did fine following the procedure but some people just don't get cleaned out as easily as others.

I was hoping for a 10 year wait for my next one and here I am having to get ready for it again in a month. :cry:
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Eat more Oatmeal Dave
The low fiber diet I was on for the 3 days before the liquid diet day said no oatmeal. Corn flakes and rice crispies were ok but I pretty much stuck with english muffins, eggs, cheese, chicken and pasta. Only veggies allowed were potatoes with no skin so I did have some potato chips and french fries.

I used to eat a lot of oatmeal but unfortunately I liked it with a fair amount of sugar and it's way too many carbs now that I'm diabetic.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:50 am

I was my general practice guy for my six month check up last month. He looked up from my chart and said, "It's been a while since your last colonoscopy, so I've sent in the consult.". Funny... Then this thread pops up to remind me the worst part is the day before. Lol.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:05 am

Prep?
Drink the prep juice, but make sure your kindle is Charged!
Once it starts, just sit there on the padded porcelain seat and read. :roll:
Might as well stay there.
Saves having to run back and forth. :?
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:22 pm

I did a little bit of the back and forth. Couldn't take sitting on the throne for long periods. Have decent sphincter control, so could make it to throne without having to hurry. Had a book there.
BrokenolMarine wrote:Prep?
Drink the prep juice, but make sure your kindle is Charged!
Once it starts, just sit there on the padded porcelain seat and read. :roll:
Might as well stay there.
Saves having to run back and forth. :?
0 x