Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Good News -- this one touched close to home.

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Good News -- this one touched close to home.

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Another edition of a "Good News" report. I really like it when I find these. Tonight found this on CBS news, and didn't realize how very close to home and meaningful this is to me. Here is why.

Not unlike the elderly widower in this good news report, I also recently received quite similar care from a stranger. Just barely two weeks ago I went through the first anniversary of losing my wife, Joyce. That week I decided to do something special to add to my memory items of her in my home. I had found two photos of Joyce on my computer (tons of photos stored, probably cannot remember half of them!), and decided to take them to a Staples to have copied onto photo paper. I wanted to buy some really nice frames, and put them in my living room.

Okay, got to Staples, and a young lady spent quite a bit of time working on different copy settings, paper types, and sizes with me. I must have been there at the counter for at least 1/2 hour. When we got the final good-to-go photos printed out, I lost it because of how beautiful they turned out, and especially because of how beautiful my wife looked. Both photos were taken years before she was diagnosed with PD. And the larger print I made was a photo of her and I together in our WI home. The girl found some kleenex for me as I mumbled about missing Joyce so much. As I said, I lost it. That tends to creep up on me totally unexpected at times. I did recover quickly, and thanked her for her great work & help.

Pulled my wallet out, so pleased to get these photos, and not even considering the cost. The young lady then "added to my losing it." She gave me the two final photos at no charge, and then all the other samples she had worked on as well! I protested, but she was kindly insistent. She smiled at me and said she just wanted to do that. Needless to say, I was on a soft cloud walking back to my car, grateful for this young lady's kindness.

I feel akin to some degree with this elderly widower. And his is definitely a great "Good News" story. :)
Take good care, Everyone!
PT7

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gregory-jo ... d-indiana/
7 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Good News -- this one touched close to home.

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:10 am

PT, so so so sorry for your loss. Touching. Both your tale and on CBS brought me to tears in a good way. Still good compassionate people in the world. "Good News" story indeed. Thanks for having the confidence to be open and share this with us.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 am

Sorry for your loss. The first anniversary is a tough one. Such a kind and compassionate girl! I shed some tears too.
1 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank you, Bob.
Your story and the CBS news story are both "good news" in a modern world that often seems so bleak.

As you well know, I'm just a few days away from the first anniversary of my own wife's passing. The end of a fifty year loving friendship with a soul mate like her is oh so hard to overcome. Our wives died just three weeks apart, and like you, I still cry everyday, missing her so much. I hope the best for you as we each try to make our way in what is now an unfamiliar world. I'm not really sure how I've gotten through this year without her, but your steady, long distance friendship during the last few years has certainly been a comfort and blessing to me. You're my good news story.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:58 pm

You're quite welcome, Stan. Appreciate very much your thoughtful, kind comments. Yes, the "alone journey" throughout this first year has been quite a challenging, bumpy road. It's been good keeping in touch. Almost hard to imagine we've never met other than through the Henry Forum and emails! It would be great someday to shake your hand. :)

Also thanks for what you both wrote, Abnermal and Mags.

Briefly back to the elderly widower in the story. Not only was it "good news," but encouraging, too. The encouragement is to see someone facing the same tough, life problem, and doing something really special each year to remember his life's partner. I hope in the coming years he and his new friend, Greg, will celebrate this very special birthday together again.

Take good care, Everyone.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing PT. Touched my heart. We need to hear more about the good people in this world. Too much focus on the other kind.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:49 am

You are absolutely right, NCG. There are a lot of good people in the world; the other voices are too often heard and sometimes are just a tad too loud. Appreciated your comment.

As you noticed, this was a special Good News report to me, and with incredibly cool timing. :)
I really do like posting them whenever I find neat ones. Plan to keep on doing these whenever they show up!
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Wonderful. Thanks for sharing PT. Touched my heart. We need to hear more about the good people in this world. Too much focus on the other kind.
0 x

~Пока~