Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

renaissance wax and flitz

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

renaissance wax and flitz

Post by bmsma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 pm

growing up and the mid years what firearms i had were working tools, they were always kept cleaned and oiled and in the cabinet, when used they got cleaned, wiped down, and put back in the cabinet. its only been the last 3 years or so i have gotten back into shooting as a hobby

my henry, wifes ruger, while they are tools as well they are very attractive toys, as will be most in the future, and in wanting to keep them in as best shape as possible, and they will see range time, possible some hunting time,

how often do you folks do a full clean and detail for lack of a better word.

wife wants me to ask when does one officially become a collector and not a shooter ?? now while she is joking she does have some validity in her good natured ribbing,

thanks
Troy
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: renaissance wax and flitz

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 pm

bmsma wrote:... they were always kept cleaned and oiled and in the cabinet, when used they got cleaned, wiped down, and put back in the cabinet.
That is good rule of thumb to follow.

Me, I clean depending on how many rounds I've shot and/or how frequently I shoot. For example if I'm shooting say 10 rounds a day for 3 days. I'll clean after the 3rd or forth day. If I shoot 60 rounds a given day, I clean that day.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 pm

I also clean on round count. Especially with 22. I dont have a set amount and with 22 it may go as high as a 1000 or more. But when winter comes I go thru the safe and check all of them to make sure I have got all of them cleaned for the next time Im able to go. I use lemon pledge on the guns its cheap and its carnuba wax. It does a great job and keeps them looking good.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:20 pm

I did not grow up shooting firearms. But, I have adopted a philosophy of: take care of your tools and they will take care of you. This philosophy stems from serving 22 years in the Navy. So, I clean my firearms (remove bolts, clean, oil, etc.) after every use.Therefore, a day at the range is not complete until the firearms are cleaned. And, that can make for a very long day (or late night to early morning).
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:41 am

I have been shooting muzzleloaders for over 40 years so I just clean as soon as I am finished shooting for the day. I have done the same for my Henry BBB. I haven't been out shooting in some time due to health issues and haven't been able to get the 1860 out at all. Maybe some time this year.

Jim
0 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass