Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting Frequency/Rounds Expended

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Shooting Frequency/Rounds Expended

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 pm

If we count airgun shooting (and we should), I rarely go a day without shooting. That's the idea of airgun shooting in the first place. I can do it right at home, using other our backyard range or our basement range in the winter.

As for powder burning guns, Bill and I average two trips a week to our local club range, spring, summer and fall, but only an occasional trip in the winter, depending on the temperature and, especially, the snow depth. Again, airgun shooting to the rescue in the winter. It's the only way I can shoot on a regular basis in the winter.

My accident, earlier this summer, has really curtailed our club shooting. No more than once very couple of weeks and short sessions at that. Nearly recovered, now, so hope to get back to our regular shooting frequency, soon.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Good to hear your recovery is going well.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Oregon state regulations control where one can shoot
To some degree but the laws are pretty basic and only apply to state land and not in the National Forest.
and forbid local jurisdictions (city and county) from having their own firearm laws firearm laws.
Actually this is not quite accurate. Several cities (Portland for one of course) have restrictions against open carry.

This from Oregon Open Carry:
'Open carry is legal in Oregon even without an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Check your local regulations because they are allowed to regulate local firearms in public. Public buildings are also off-limits to open carry unless you have a license.'

Bottom line is Oregon's shooting laws have been very basic and not overly restrictive - and I hope it stays this way.
About the only universal law in the state is no shooting within city limits and certain areas of counties within the urban growth boundaries - but this one has typically only been enforced when several residents complain or petition the county.
I live in a rural subdivision in the county but outside of the urban growth boundary so I often hear shooting on properties near my house.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I practice, sight or test at the range 2-3 time a month and shoot 1 or 2 club matches.
I like to take a couple fire arms switching to keep barrels cool.
If testing I'll shoot 15 to 20 or so rounds. Sighting I take at least 50 rnds. More for a new to me rifle. Practice is off hand so 40 - 50 rounds in one session is all I can do before I get to tired to do any good.
Matches are a forty round affairs plus practice rounds.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Hey, Jake. I just found out from Daytime Dave early this week that neither firearms or ordnance may be sold any longer through our Henry Classifieds forum. I did not know about this new "Rule,", which was posted last March. I wasn't on the Forum a lot at that time and missed it.

I had just posted a 4-Sale classified to let some 20-gauge ammo go, and it was deleted according to this standard. Then DD sent me a PM about the rule and thread deletion. All is well as my 20-ga ammo likes living in my ammo cans!! :lol:

Here is the link to the Classifieds Rule page: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68
Shakey Jake wrote:I shoot weekly but not always on the same day of the week. I usually shoot 150 to 200 rounds but not all with the same firearm. Last trip out I shoot 100 rounds of .38 in the Ruger GP100 and 100 rounds in the little,but fun, S&W .32 Long. I'll probably go out tomorrow back with the Ruger .223 and Henry .327. Hopefully I can get the Henry to behave a bit better or it's going to the trade in bin at the local LGS or classifieds on this board.
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:21 pm

I dont get to go enough about once every 6 weeks. I just have to much to do. The wife owns an assisted living home and I need to give her a hand with lawn care and groceries. But it wont be long and hopefully it will be gone and I can retire. When I do there will be shooting done alot more often.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 pm

before back trouble, when i starting sass i was shooting 300-500 rounds per week, now that im kinda out of that game for awhile im hoping wife and i can get in a cpl range trips a month so maybe 500 rimfire rounds a month. hopefully, our range is also 15 miles,
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 pm

My post was originally in regards to where it is legal to discharge a firearm in Oregon.

Still Oregon state regulation does forbid local jurisdictions (city and county) from defining their own firearm laws. Oregon does allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms “in public places” including your vehicle. In reading Portland's regulations they are word for word the state regulations plus the restriction of carry of firearms “in public places”. National Forest as a courtesy also follows (or goes along with Oregon regulations) but also adds the restriction on carry of firearms and discharge in public places such as Visitor Centers, kiosks, ranger stations, and many but for some reason not all campgrounds.

City and County jurisdictions and citizens can also petition to have local restrictions added. For example central Washington County has an area that is both outside the city limits and outside the UGB. The area is several full scale subdivisions. The state was petitioned and the area is now a Restricted Shooting zone.

Point to this is that the state is the defining authority including granting permissions to localities to choose to control/restrict in public places.
Mistered wrote:
Oregon state regulations control where one can shoot
To some degree but the laws are pretty basic and only apply to state land and not in the National Forest.
and forbid local jurisdictions (city and county) from having their own firearm laws firearm laws.
Actually this is not quite accurate. Several cities (Portland for one of course) have restrictions against open carry.

This from Oregon Open Carry:
'Open carry is legal in Oregon even without an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Check your local regulations because they are allowed to regulate local firearms in public. Public buildings are also off-limits to open carry unless you have a license.'

Bottom line is Oregon's shooting laws have been very basic and not overly restrictive - and I hope it stays this way.
About the only universal law in the state is no shooting within city limits and certain areas of counties within the urban growth boundaries - but this one has typically only been enforced when several residents complain or petition the county.
I live in a rural subdivision in the county but outside of the urban growth boundary so I often hear shooting on properties near my house.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 pm

I go every other week. It is a cost thing for me with range time being so expensive around here.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:39 pm

I have been shooting every day for the past couple of weeks, trying to become proficient with my Ruger single six. I have been running about 50 to 100 rounds per day. I normally shoot my 1911 9mm but thought I would give the Ruger a go.
0 x