Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting Frequency/Rounds Expended

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Shooting Frequency/Rounds Expended

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:54 am

Just wondering what kind of averages some member have for the aforementioned. I have been shooting all my life and although at certain times I have 'tabled' it for sometimes long stretches I have really picked it back up over the last few years and recently have been averaging about one session per week (sometimes short) and sometimes a stop on the way home from work to test out some rounds. One of my favorite shooting spots is less than a mile off the main road so it's convenient. I probably average 125 to upwards of maybe 200 rounds at a 'longer' session and depending on the guns I bring.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Shooting Frequency/Rounds Expended

Post by Bugs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 am

Shoot every other Sunday and usually blast through 200-300 rounds.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:42 am

I do good to get in 20-30 rounds a month, and that's because I have found a range that is not at least an hour from my house. Before finally settling down in one part of the Country, I would go for years. But, I did have to do small arms certifications while on ships. So, I did get some shooting time in every now and then.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:54 am

being on the road about 6 months a year (3 in the summer and 3 in the winter) traveling in our camper .... for the vast majority of that time I'm usually not able to do much, if any rifle or handgun shooting .... back home we are developing a 135 yard range on family property where I hope to be able to fire often .... historically when we are on a local range I fire a couple of hundred rounds
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:13 am

I shoot at two outdoor MO Dept of Conservation ranges, two privately-owned outdoor ranges (one owned by my son-in-law, another owned by a friend), and two indoor ranges. All are distanced 20-30 or so miles from my place. Sadly, the largest outdoor range my son-in-law has is 60 miles away....but a great place to shoot!

Winter shooting is less; prefer shooting outdoors. But usually try to shoot 2-3 range visits per month throughout the year. With most of my calibers I shoot between 50-70 rounds per range visit. I'm conservative because of ammo costs. But with either of my two .22LR caliber firearms, especially with my SGC, I shoot around 80 rounds upwards to 150 rounds each time out.

Interesting thread....thanks for the post.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 am

I shoot 2-3 times a week, usually just plinking sessions with my wife, or dialing in a scope or sights. We have a 150 yard field range, and a 50 yard woods range set up on our property. We typically use our .22LR or .22Mags, and shoot 50-100 rounds per session. Lately, she has been having fun shooting the primers out of empty 12 and 20 gauge shotgun shells on the 50 yard range. Once in a while, we get the .357s out, and burn through a couple of boxes...they are fun in the woods.

The .223 and .243 don't come out all that often...I want to extend the field range out somewhere north of 200 yards. Our property is ~1/2 mile deep with woods and a ridge at the far end.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:23 am

I shoot weekly but not always on the same day of the week. I usually shoot 150 to 200 rounds but not all with the same firearm. Last trip out I shoot 100 rounds of .38 in the Ruger GP100 and 100 rounds in the little,but fun, S&W .32 Long. I'll probably go out tomorrow back with the Ruger .223 and Henry .327. Hopefully I can get the Henry to behave a bit better or it's going to the trade in bin at the local LGS or classifieds on this board.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 am

Clovispup and I shoot about 2 - 3 times a month. We used to shoot almost every week, but have decided to branch out to other activities on our day together every week. We normally shoot about 300 - 350 rounds between us. She usually shoots more of it than I do. I get more fun watching her enjoying her time at the range than I do actually shooting, but I manage to get at least 100 rounds in each trip.

On a side note, I love the song "Tuesday Afternoon" by the Moody Blues, as Tues afternoon is our time at the range, or other outings together.
Last edited by clovishound on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am

Hopefully I can get the Henry to behave a bit better or it's going to the trade in bin at the local LGS or classifieds on this board.
Thats too bad. I believe the Henry is an inherently, well built rifle but regardless of the item or purported quality there is the one occasionally 'built on a Monday or Friday'
I too have had problems with a couple guns - two new and one used but they are now memories.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 pm

clovishound wrote:On a side note, I love the song "Tuesday Afternoon" by the Moody Blues, as Tues afternoon is our time at the range, or other outings together.
I have every single one of their album records. Collected them while in high school and college. Like new they are. Back then I would buy them and record them to cassette, saving the wear on the record itself. They've been in storage ever since then.

I shoot probably 20-25 rounds a month, though not always every month. I shoot where I live. The nearest outdoor rifle ranges (two) are both halfway to the Oregon coast. Oregon state regulations control where one can shoot and forbid local jurisdictions (city and county) from having their own firearm laws. But Oregon state law does forbid shooting inside city limits and in unincorporated areas inside urban growth boundaries (except for self defense). Outside of those areas you can only shoot in directions away from buildings and vehicles that would be within range of the firearm.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234