Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bucket List

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Bucket List

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm

I was out at our hunting property today and I was thinking about a bucket list story that I'd like to share with you guys/gals.
It was cold and we had about twelve inches of snow on the ground, dad and I were just taking a break from the morning hunt and warming up. He had just started brewing a fresh pot of coffee when I spotted a buck sneaking across our swamp. I grabbed my Henry Big Boy .45 Colt and ran out into the snow wearing nothing but my long johns and a pair of rubber boots! I knew right where the deer was heading and I wanted to head him off at the pass. The buck beat me to our rendezvous spot but was just hanging around, I was able to sneak within 80 yards of him before he started to spook. Boom went the Henry, and down went the deer! When I told my wife later that I had shot the buck wearing only my long johns she replied, 'you can mark that off your bucket list!"
I would love to hear your bucket list stories. Serious or funny, what have you done or what would you like to do before you kick the bucket? And to you Americans on the forum- Happy Independence Day!

Greyhawk
5 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Bucket List

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:48 pm

After thirty years of CPR classes, throughout my time in the Corps, Law Enforcement, as an EMT, and finally as a CPR/AED instructor the day finally came... the day when you finally actually put it to use. Miss Tina and I ran calls all the time on the ambulance and knew we made a difference, but this call..

We ran direct, with the squad meeting us there. We arrived on scene and entered the house to find the family attempting to do CPR on dad, 80 years old, and doing it wrong. First, he was on the bed, his head still on the pillow. He was in full arrest. I got his son to help me put him on the floor, they tried to put the pillow under his head again. Tina called in the update while I started CPR for real.

They aren't dead til they are pronounced, we don't give up. Compressions and breaths, the old way was still used. He used to be a big guy... I was the only one with enough lung power to inflate his chest. After about five minutes, we had a pulse, but no respiration. I kept breathing for him while Tina kept an eye on his pulse. The ambulance arrived. Volunteer squad, mid week, middle of the day, driver only. He brought in the stretcher and we did a scoop and run. Even code three, thirty minutes to the hospital.

In the back of the bus, Tina prepped the O2, but at 80+, he was skeletal and the mask wouldn't seal. I continued to breath for him. We lost his pulse twice on the way in, but a couple rounds of compressions brought him back again. I had Tina set up another O2 mask, for me.... I was beginning to feel it.

We pulled into the ER and the crash team was waiting. The took over and I sat in the back of the bus breathing O2 for ten minutes. I wandered in as they took him up for surgery. He made it. We had arrived at the house to find him a full code, and thirty years of CPR training paid off.

All my kids learned CPR, three of the four became EMTs and rode with a squad for a while. My son, after his time in the Coast Guard, went back to college, and is now a respiratory therapist at a hospital in Texas.

Check off the bucket list... used that training for real... saved a life or two.
I know we saved more than one with all the accidents we worked... but this one was special.
CPR... it works.
6 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:After thirty years of CPR classes, ...
Wow, what a rewarding experience that had to have been. Trained and there to make a difference.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:45 am

Greyhawk wrote: what would you like to do before you kick the bucket?
Climb to the top of a Doug fir tree like a lumber jack, climbing spurs, flip line and rappel.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:00 am

Mags wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:After thirty years of CPR classes, ...
Wow, what a rewarding experience that had to have been. Trained and there to make a difference.
Yup, we enjoyed the rewards offered by the squad, you always knew you made a difference. We only stopped for two reasons... health and politics in the small volunteer squads. :roll: Mostly the decrease in our health. We were both up for emt recert and feeling the pain of the years. :x
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:26 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:After thirty years of CPR classes...
Another great story, Marine. Thanks for your many years of public service and for your wonderful way with words.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:38 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:After thirty years of CPR classes...
Another great story, Marine. Thanks for your many years of public service and for your wonderful way with words.
Don't let me fool yah... 8-)
I did it just for selfish reasons...
Drive fast, run the siren, stay out late.
The Corps? I got to fly in helos and see the world.... ;)
Charity work?
We met interesting folk. We never put our names out front with that... it was about the guys and gals. I got to meet REAL live living and breathing heroes.
:D
4 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 am

P.S.
Thanks CT
2 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Great story! My dad served in the Marines in Viet Nam and spent many years as a EMT and serving on a volunteer fire department. He's my hero in many ways.
Been a busy summer/fall and this is the first time I've been able to check out the forum in months. Glad a couple of you chimed in on the bucket list thread... Have a great thanksgiving everyone!
1 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:42 am

Find a giant match set of deer horns with drop tines scoring over 180..in pristine condition with no chews...only thing better would be if my son found them...
3 x