Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scratches??

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Scratches??

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 am

I posted this story here once before, but it seems appropriate to share it again in this thread.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 152#p61152

The retired Marine in the story? Turns out he was a full bull Colonel. Few knew, he just always told folks to call him Bob, he was retired. He had a rack full of guns at his home. Most were high end firearms, and all had seen use and bore the "marks of his memories." He believed in purchasing quality and taking care of it, but didn't baby it. He bought things to use.

I have tried to remember that lesson, and both my stepfather and the Corps taught me to maintain the things I own. But I try not to fret over the small stuff. :lol: It happens. Big things you can repair, or learn to live with.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Loved it the first time I read it. Thanks for sharing again. Good reminder.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 pm

often uses a aerosol spray polish when dusting it. The Renaissance Wax seemed almost to "clump" and had very light "milky" spots here and there.
@PT7. I could see how the propellant in the spray might cause a wax to sorta melt and curdle.
Anyway, is there this prep required first?
Usually after shooting I clean/lube the bore and receiver first. Otherwise I don't do much prep. Wipe down the rifle with a dry soft cloth, sometimes a damp cloth on the wood. Apply the Renaissance Wax to the wood and brass. The wax appears to blend/melt into the previous coating of wax. After a minute or so the wax drys a little into a haze (like you would see happen with paste car wax on your car). At this point I wipe/buff and because the wax blended with the previous coat the wipe/buff also seems to remove any excess, so I haven't seen any wax build up. Around the ejection port, the wipe/buff does pick up and remove some spent powder. I don't use the wax on the barrel or mag tube, just because it takes more time to wipe/buff out the crevices and angles. I also don't know what the wax will do to the blueing of a hot barrel. My barrel has gotten too hot to touch. I use a light wipe of RemOil Oil on the exterior of the barrel and mag tube and RemOil Dry Lube on the internals of the mag tube.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

14indy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by 14indy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 am

Just tried the Renaissance Wax. Great stuff !!!
On my original post I mentioned that my dealer said not to use a micro fiber towel because it scratched one of their Brass Henry rifles. Can't believe this could happen. Any truth to this? I used an old cotton t-shirt or is there something I should buy?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 pm

In general I probably wouldn't use a micro fiber cloth on brass either. Though there might be a version of a micro fiber cloth that would work. My wife has a variety of them. Each is intended for a specific type of surface. Different cloths each for stainless steel, painted appliances, stone counter tops, oiling the dining table, dusting, etc. I don't use 'shop' rags either on brass.

Like you did, I use an old t-shirt or wash cloth that is 100% cotton. Got that from my eye doctor on cleaning my glasses (plastic lenses). Even the little bit of polyester or other synthetics in a cloth can scratch the lenses (so he said). It occurred to me to treat the brass on my Henry likewise.

As for wash cloths I buy the cheap, 100% cotton, white ones in bulk. While polishing I check the cloth frequently for unnoticed dirt, oil and spent powder residue. Then move on with a clean part of the cloth or another clean cloth to finish the polishing.

One more thing, wear cloth gloves. I hate it when I'm done only to discover I smudged the polish job with my bare hands.
0 x

14indy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by 14indy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks Mags, I bought thru ebay 8 pair of 100% cotton white gloves for gun and IndyCar model cleaning. they were very cheap, like $5 or something.
Love my Big Boy .44 and my Golden Boy .22 will hate to shoot them but probably won't be able to resist the urge.
0 x

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

clovishound wrote:Sorry, all I could think about was

Scratches, I'm dependin' on you, son
To pull the family through
My son, it's all left up to you.

Totally off subject :

Clovishound: thanks for taking my back to a awesome song
1 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:41 pm

14indy wrote:Love my Big Boy .44 and my Golden Boy .22 will hate to shoot them but probably won't be able to resist the urge.
Ya right.:roll: You'll love to shoot them and you know it. I bought a Henry in brass because it's a gorgeous firearm that I can also shoot :!:
0 x

14indy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by 14indy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:11 am

I also recently bought a Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel, hammer forged twist barrel. Laminated stock (which I'm not wild about). Bought it because it is pretty also!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Enjoy. Have fun shooting.
0 x