Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scratches??

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
14indy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Scratches??

Post by 14indy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:51 am

The instruction manual on page 15 states " we suggest you use Peek Metal Polish, Fritz, or Nevr Dull. Some of you have talked about Nevr Dull, but what about the other two?
Great forum!!!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:52 am

Based on the caution below, the question comes to me as to why Henry would recommend this product for care of their brass?
Sure is a lot of brass out there on Henry rifles....

Does anyone let a patina guide the looks of their brass Henrys? I did that for quite a while with my BBB, and it sure creates some neat character for the rifle! ;)

I have used Renaissance Wax quite a lot...on my BBB and to bring back some life into our almost-antique dresser top. It did a good job on my stuff. But similarly to the caution posted here about use of the Nevr Dull, there are cautions out there about Renaissance also.

So that leaves us choices & decisions, choices & decisions....ad infinitum.

Mags wrote:There are at least 2 suppliers of Nevr Dull. I have used neither as I don't like the chemicals evolved.

Researching their Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS):
Eagle Nevr Dull contains: solvent naphtha (petroleum), heavy aliphatic (basically kerosine).
George Basch Nevr Dull contains an ammonia solution.

I would not use anything containing ammonia on brass. It can make brass shine up real pretty, but the shine more quickly tarnishes than leaving it alone. Ammonia solutions might also give brass a pinkish tint with repeated use. Don't use ammonia solutions on brass-lite, with repeated use the brass-lite can take on a cracked appearance and/or cause it to peal.

I personally use Renaissance Wax. Can be used on wood too. Apply and buff.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:10 am

14indy wrote:The instruction manual on page 15 states " we suggest you use Peek Metal Polish, Fritz, or Nevr Dull. Some of you have talked about Nevr Dull, but what about the other two?
Great forum!!!
I've used Flitz, which does a great job on the brass, even removing slight scratches; but, it also removes bluing, so apply it with a Q-tip to avoid getting it on the screws. A little goes a long way. That said, for about the last year I've just been using Ballistol to wipe down the entire rifle and haven't noticed the brass tarnishing. Again, a little goes a long way and the entire rifle gleams. When it's not at the range, I keep my Brass Big Boy hanging on the wall. Beautiful gun.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 pm

I've shared info on the products Henry recommends and their own Henry Big Boy Polish a few months ago somewhere under another topic. I'll cover it here in a 2 part reply.

To be clear, I've never used any of the products Henry lists in their user manuals or on their website. I have good reason for not using them. When looking at cleaning solutions I've never used before, I look up the MSDS of that product. Something I needed to do in my job before I retired. Based on what I could find or not find I chose not to use them.

o I could not find an MSDS for the Henry Big Boy Polish. So chose not to use it.
o Nevr Dull I talked about above, so you already know why I chose not to use it.
o Flitz has multiple products. With someone saying they use Flitz, ok, but which product? Flitz is one of the best at sharing their MSDSs. You can find them here: https://www.flitz.com/safety-data-sheets-msds/ Some comments about the some of the ones people might think of using.
Flitz Brass and Copper Polish - Corrosive Acid Salt: Urea Monohydrochloride.
Flitz Metal ... Polish (liquid) - Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillates and and a small amount of abrasive cristobalite (quartz dust).
Flitz Metal ... Polish (paste) - Nasty contents - Hydrocarbons, alkalines, amides and ammonia.
Flitz Gun Bore Cleaner - same MSDS as Flitz Metal ... Polish (liquid).
Flitz Gun Rifle and Faucet Cleaner - Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillates without abrasives.

Seams if folks are to use a Flitz product it would be the last one. Is it the one removing the bluing? The Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillates might do that. In the next part I'll share MSDS content of Peek Metal Polish and Renaissance Wax.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Mags wrote: Seams if folks are to use a Flitz product it would be the last one. Is it the one removing the bluing? The Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillates might do that. In the next part I'll share MSDS content of Peek Metal Polish and Renaissance Wax.
That's very interesting information, Mags.

This is the version of Flitz that I have used that is great on the brass, but that also removes bluing.

Flitz BU 03515 Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass Polish Paste.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014 ... UTF8&psc=1

There are no component details on the tube that I can use to know if it is the "last one" or not. But, I did find this information on their website:
https://www.flitz.com/content/SDS-%20Me ... ressed.pdf

You could provide HRA with your expert evaluation of the various brass cleaner products that they recommend so they can better provide useful information to buyers to better care for their rifles.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Mags wrote: Flitz Metal ... Polish (paste) - Nasty contents - Hydrocarbons, alkalines, amides and ammonia.
CT_Shooter wrote: This is the version of Flitz that I have used that is great on the brass, but that also removes bluing.
Flitz BU 03515 Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass Polish Paste..
CT it looks like you're using the 'nasty one'. Flitz Metal ... Polish (paste) - Nasty contents - Hydrocarbons, alkalines, amides and ammonia. In my write up I had abbreviated the product names where the ... (dots) appear.

On amazon take a look at this product:
https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Rifle-Gun- ... tz+gun+wax
The amazon description says its formulated with carnauba and beeswax. Neither are pH neutral. So I wouldn't use it on shiny brass. Also, the msds isn't the same as the one posted on the Flitz website. The product on amazon contains petroleum distillates and Kaolin clay (sodium potassium aluminum silicate) very mild abrasive and filler/thickener.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Mags wrote:...it looks like you're using the 'nasty one'.
So, when you say "nasty", how does that translate to irreparable harm to the firearm, if at all? I no longer use it on my BBB, but I'd certainly want to know how my rifle could be damaged by continued use, if I did. What is an alternative product that you have found acceptable?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 pm

The stuff is mildly corrosive. So I wouldn't use it on shiny brass and from your experience on blued metal. Probably fine on stainless steel. On plastics and fiberglass I would think repeated use would eventually dull. On wood probably eventually bleach out (wear down the finish) of the wood. That may be ok if you were wanting to refinish and oil the wood.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:32 pm

This part of my write up covers Peek Metal Polishes and Renaissance Wax.

Similar to Flitz, there are multiple Peek Metal Polishes. These all contain solvents, some of them acids and ammonia.
Peek Premium Polish - Distillates (petroleum)-hydrotreated light, Kerosine, HYDROCARBONS, C10-C12, ISOALKANES, AROMATICS and Ammonia
Peek Metal Polish Cream - Odourless Kerosene and Ammonia
Peek Metal Polish1 - Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light, Kerosine, HYDROCARBONS, C10-C12, ISOALKANES, AROMATICS, Ammonia and Oleic
PEEK METAL/FIBRGLSS POLISH Spray - ALUMINUM OXIDE, PETROLEUM SOLVENT, ISOPARAFFINIC HYDROCARBON, ISOBUTANE, PROPANE
Peek Polish Foam - Heavy Naphtha (Petroleum)-Hydrotreated, Isobutane, Propane, Ammonium Hydroxide, ALUMINUM OXIDE
Peek Multipurpose Metal Polish - Amides, rape-oil, N-(hydroxyethyl), ethoxylated and Glycerol, ethoxylated.

Renaissance Wax - Blended white micro-crystalline waxes with white spirits. Why I use it.
This wax is used by museums of antique guns, swords, knives, armour, leather, metal sculptures, leather, wood, etc. Its pH neutral, no acids or alkalines. Also resistant to moisture and weathering environmental corrosion and does not discolor.

end of my spiel.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:08 am

An interesting "spiel" so far. From my minimal understanding of use of wax (yes, I use Renaissance), is that prior to using it the rifle's wood and metal should be cleaned first. There have got to be cleaning chemicals, natural "grease" from one's hands (fingerprints), dirt, sweat, bullet residue, etc., that have landed there just from using the rifle. Eventually this stuff might have some build up to it.

So how and with what cleaner does a person get this yuck stuff cleaned off the rifle before waxing it? And then the followup Q. How long or maybe how much Renaissance is applied before that has to be removed from the firearm, and you start over again with everything squeaky clean?

It seems like when bringing back our quite-old wood dresser top using Renaissance, I may have goofed in not first doing such a clean. My daughter helps with cleaning, and often uses a aerosol spray polish when dusting it. The Renaissance Wax seemed almost to "clump" and had very light "milky" spots here and there. Again, the dresser top is quite old and has had a variety of polishing chems placed on it over the years. I wouldn't want to create the same build up on the beautiful Henry wood of my carbines.

Anyway, is there this prep required first? Another spiel from this different angle might be helpful.
0 x

~Пока~