Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Miss Tina is meaner than a Snake...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Miss Tina is meaner than a Snake...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 21, 2018 10:29 am

... and I can prove it. :D

Marine Snipers can disappear into the grass and you'll never find them. They just fade into the scenery and freeze.
Years ago, when I was working an evening patrol on a surveillance assignment, I got a call... Miss T had been bitten by a copperhead, four times in the bottom of her foot while working in the garden. She was on the way to the ER. She had stomped the snake into copperhead paste, but the ER was 45 minutes away. I was on the other side of the River... and had to turn in the County Car and switch to my truck, but still beat the Volunteer Squad to the ER by 5 minutes. :?

I swore I was going to get a T-Shirt that said: My wife is meaner than a snake and I can prove it...
... she was bitten by a copperhead four times... and the SNAKE died. :lol:

Her leg looked like an over inflated balloon and they kept her for a day or two, but no permanent damage. She was lucky. It was a baby, and contrary to old wives tales, their poison isn''t more deadly than adult copperheads.

Luckily for us the doc on duty raised snakes and knew all about them. Their poison isn't any more deadly, it's just that unlike an adult, they don't know how to dose their strikes, first strike, they empty the poison sack. Say they have enough poison for ten lethal strikes on mice. An adult would be able to kill ten mice. A baby would overkill ONE mouse, then not be able to kill any for several hours while his system regenerated more poison.

The doc's theory was that when Tina stepped on the baby, he lashed out and his first strike, was into the mulch, not her foot. The next four strikes were into her foot when he rolled over and identified his target, but she only got what was left in the fangs and the path from the sack to the fangs. This kept her from the tissue damage and huge swelling normally associated with multiple strikes. ;)

Check out this picture... there is a copperhead hiding in there. I took it when I saw it moving. (Years ago.) I came across it this morning while changing my Wallpaper. Took me three or four minutes to find it again..... Sheesh, they are good at hiding.
SnakeCopperheadinGrass_zpsa6f3d7f1.jpg
SnakeCopperheadinGrass_zpsa6f3d7f1.jpg (363.63 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
PM me if you find it, or just grin and yell, "There it is...!" :D But don't ruin it right away for everyone. :P
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Miss Tina is meaner than a Snake...

Post by The Wiz » Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 am

Got it! :lol:
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 am

Yup, there it is! Always have liked these "Waldo-type" challenges. ;)
0 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 21, 2018 11:15 am

The funny thing is... Country Girls don't wear shoes in the summer. She was back out in the garden barefoot again a few days after getting home from the hospital. :o Stubborn ol' gal. 8-)

(I think she was a bit more careful where she stepped.) :roll:
I know she was a lot more careful where she parked her butt. :twisted:
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 am

I THINK I've found it, too. I hope you confirm it for me in a follow-up post.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 am

FOUND HIM! Well most of him! I squirrel hunt in copperhead country. Often walk into the woods in the dark of a morning. Wonder how many creepy crawlies I've walked past. I try not to think about it but I still watch my step. :shock:
Last edited by Abnermal on Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am

I will give it a couple days, so those who want to can try and find waldo. Then I will post his position.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 am

Raking leaves years ago... reached down to pick up a pile and put them in the garden cart and almost grabbed a big handful of copperhead. :o I used a pitchfork after that and wore canvas gloves. We also welcome those huge black snakes. Six to eight feet long... they consider copperheads scoobys snacks. ;)

Don't get me wrong, coming across a huge non poisonous snake unexpectedly can still get the heart rate up... :D But, we just send them on their way.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Only poisonous snakes around here are rattlesnakes. They can be numerous in some areas but in the 35 years I've been on my property I've only seen them a few times, bull snakes are a lot more common. I wasn't paying attention once and stepped on one, it didn't even try to strike, it just wanted to get away but it sure got my heart rate up.

Only time one coiled up and rattled at me was one alongside a road I was riding Ruby on. I guess the cowboy movies that show horses rearing up and panicking when they see a rattlesnake is a old wive's tale, she paid no attention to it.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:32 pm

I finally definitely see part of his body and think I see his head, they sure blend in more than our rattle and bull snakes.
0 x