Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reading Much Lately?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Reading Much Lately?

Post by Travlin » Fri May 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Anything that you can find by Eugene Manlove Rhodes will be a good read if you like westerns. The man lived in New Mexico most of his life and the folks in his books are based on men he knew. My mother knew his son .
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Travlin wrote:Just read Finders Keepers by Stephen King that is the follow up to Mr Mercedes.
I read all three of those, liked them very much.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Re Stephen King, 11-22-63 is a very good time travel and alternative history work.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 am

Travlin wrote:Re Stephen King, 11-22-63 is a very good time travel and alternative history work.
I read that too, and it's a great read. I heard that they made it into a movie, but haven't seen it. Anyone?
I have read most of King's stuff. I have some real favorites and re-read them every couple years.
Dreamcatcher, Bag of Bones, It, The Stand and a few others.

I read "The Gunslinger" series because everyone raved about it. In my opinion, it was good, but NOT his very best...
I liked the books I listed above better. I know, I know, King fans would have a cow... but everyone is entitled. :lol:
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat May 19, 2018 4:59 pm

I read The Stand about a month ago and am now reading End Of Watch. I am glad to know that there are still some of us left that like the printed page and not some electronic gadget.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 24, 2018 1:19 am

I do like the kindle, because I can take seventy five books on a trip in the space of less than a single paperback. However, I love turning the pages in a real book, especially one of my well loved books, one I have read a dozen times. They hold surprises. :D

I may have made penciled notes in the margins, there may be annotations inside the cover indicating when or how the book was acquired. It may have been a gift, in an airport bookshop during a layover, or bought to celebrate an accomplishment. A turn of a page might reveal a faded makeshift bookmark. Often a piece of history all it's own. An old King novel contained an ibm card used long ago during my time in the Corps to order aircraft parts. It still had the bureau number and tail number, and part number and nomenclature for a forgotten task on a squadron aircraft ... It was like I stepped into the wayback machine. ;)

I didn't toss the card. I used it as a bookmark for years, until it fell apart. It wasn't the only interesting scrap I found that took me back. :lol:

I used to buy a lot of used hardbacks at yardsales... they often contained interesting annotations in the margins, or makeshift bookmarks to puzzle over. Made life just a bit more interesting. :lol:
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu May 24, 2018 1:14 pm

I volunteer at a library. We always get books donated. The librarians go thru and take the ones they can use. The rest go on sale at the book store within the library. We always page thru the books to see what we find. From shopping list to notes to themselves. Interesting and we always put them back for others to discover.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 24, 2018 1:22 pm

The Wiz wrote:I volunteer at a library. We always get books donated. The librarians go thru and take the ones they can use. The rest go on sale at the book store within the library. We always page thru the books to see what we find. From shopping list to notes to themselves. Interesting and we always put them back for others to discover.
I'd appreciate that. I was sitting and chatting with an owner of a used bookstore once and she was going thru some of the nicer used hardbacks she had taken in, and was throwing away bookmarks, and erasing the penciled annotations in the margins. I asked her why she was doing that... and she said people didn't want to see that kind of junk in the used books they bought. I told her that's one of the reasons I liked to buy used books. ;) It wasn't all about the money you saved. These days, with the deep discounts and the coupons, member's clubs and the like, you can get new books for less than used books if you are willing to wait a few months. :)

That may be the reason that many of the brick and mortar book stores around here have closed. That... and Amazon.
:roll:
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu May 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Check out The Great American Read on PBS and PBS.org. It's very interesting. I've read many of the books on the list, but many others were completely new to me.
http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 25, 2018 7:04 am

CT_Shooter wrote:Check out The Great American Read on PBS and PBS.org. It's very interesting. I've read many of the books on the list, but many others were completely new to me.
http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/
I have read many of the books (and the series) on the list. Many of the authors listed will hook you and you're off to the races with a long list of books they have written... you could spend a summer with just one of them. Geez, you could spend a year, or two, working your way thru King's list. Then sleeping with the lights on during some of them... lol. (Salem's Lot, The Shining?)

There are some great books on the list... ;)
0 x