Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting/Hunting in Austraila

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Shooting/Hunting in Austraila

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Very interesting, thank you. I clicked through most everything but couldn't find any licensing cost information. Wonder how costly it is?

One can always fantasize, but how great would it be to have a Henry Hunting Trip to Aus?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:06 am

Farm is at Batlow southern NSW about 2hrs from the Victorian border on the western side of the range, Jindabyne is on the eastern side.
Cheeked the camera again today and got a surprise, mum with a very young calf, took her about 15min to persuade it to enter the creek and cross.

Have been meaning to have a go panning in the creek since we got the place 6 years ago but never had, bit cold and wet today so loaded up half a bucket to try at home after checking stock and feeding. Ran it through the pan and found one speck. Given It was a sample from a less than ideal location I will certainly be having another go.
0 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 am

We has a few Australians come to the US National Lever Gun Silhouette championships this year. The guy call the match was Australian.
When I visited Sidney it took me a couple of days to get used to the accent - and just as long this time with a caller from NSW.
The team shot well and took home some awards. They were all nice and friendly, even if they did shoot Marlins.
M
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 am

Having looked at the NSW application, it seems like it would be fairly easy for a Canadian to apply, as we have most of those documents (firearms license etc), but if I am correct, it could be a bit/lot more work for those in the USA as they can buy firearms with just a drivers license, so they would have to do more leg work to round up support documents.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 am

Blackdog wrote:We has a few Australians come to the US National Lever Gun Silhouette championships this year. The guy call the match was Australian.
When I visited Sidney it took me a couple of days to get used to the accent - and just as long this time with a caller from NSW.
The team shot well and took home some awards. They were all nice and friendly, even if they did shoot Marlins.
M
BD- We have so many Aussies living where I do, I think it would be harder for me to understand a Texan accent! :mrgreen:
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am

220- That’s interesting that I’ve been that close to your place in my very limited travels in Oz. The drive south from Canberra to Jindy is one of my all time favorites. The geography is awesome, although maybe not so much to a local like yourself. It’s nothing like the Bungle Bungles, but very different than what we have in North America.

If you found any gold at all in a random sample like that, I’d say it’s definitely worth another look. Imagine all the nice Henrys you could buy with a couple of good sized nuggets!
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Blackdog wrote:We has a few Australians come to the US National Lever Gun Silhouette championships this year. The guy call the match was Australian.
M
Might even know them if you can remember names.
Havent been to any comps for a few years but the year son and I shot the Aus Nationals a girl from about 6 houses up the street won the Junior Championship and went over to the USA to compete. It was the first time son and I had shot the pistol and rifle matches as we can only shoot the rimfire match at the local range. The next year we only shot our state championship pistol and rimfire events. It was the second time shooting the pistol cal event. Son won the junior pistol cal event and I got my chicken and pig pins. Both of us were shooting a fair bit of pistol at the time so used to using open sights and shooting standing which made it quite easy to do well from the start.

Redthies wrote:220- That’s interesting that I’ve been that close to your place in my very limited travels in Oz. The drive south from Canberra to Jindy is one of my all time favorites. The geography is awesome, although maybe not so much to a local like yourself. It’s nothing like the Bungle Bungles, but very different than what we have in North America.

If you found any gold at all in a random sample like that, I’d say it’s definitely worth another look. Imagine all the nice Henrys you could buy with a couple of good sized nuggets!
Probably got within about 60miles of me in a straight line just some rather large hills in between.
My area was one of the more productive gold rush areas, they discovered gold in 1852 and by 1914 it had produced over 50 tonnes. Was a bit of a rush closer to the farm that is only 15miles away in a straight line but wasn't as productive. Most of it is alluvial around or in quartz reefs deep underground. Back in the 1800s the government was paying rewards for successful mining at depth, the mines around here claimed the rewards for the being the first to work payable deposits at 500, 800 and 1000 feet.
1 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 am

Here is a photo of some of the shooters from Australia -know of these?
A1.jpg
A1.jpg (178.19 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
A3.jpg
A3.jpg (166.34 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
A4.jpg
A4.jpg (151.45 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Couple of faces I recognise

This is a link to 2016 team, Melissa & Graeme are both from my little town.
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/11/ ... nationals/
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:29 am

Put a nice sambar up while checking a fence line early this afternoon. Have been a bit slack reloading so was carrying the 30/30 and passed on a texas heart shot.
Did manage to nail this sow just on dark when I went for a quick hunt, about 100m and 3 minutes from where I parked the truck
3 x