Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting/Hunting in Austraila

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Cattle Driver
Australia

Shooting/Hunting in Austraila

Post by 220 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Doesn't look to be to many Aussies on here and seems to be a few interested in what we get up to down under so thought I would do a bit of a post covering the basics in Aus.

Despite what you might read firearm ownership isn't overly difficult, we do need to be licenced and all firearms registered but there are still about 1 million shooters in Aus from a pop of 25mil.
Semi autos of all descriptions are off limits to the average shooter but bolt, pumps, levers etc are OK. We have to provide a genuine reason for ownership and self defence isn't an approved reason although target shooting, hunting and collecting are. Pistols are more heavily restricted with target shooting the only genuine reason accepted. You also need to substantiate your genuine reason but it isn't overly difficult, a letter from a landowner stating you have permission to hunt will cover you for 5 years, and membership of a target club covers target shooting although you then need to meet minimum attendance requirements each year at your nominated club.
While we have a national firearms agreement actual laws are state based so differ from state to state. Some things are actually less heavily restricted than in some USA states, the average shooter here can go out and purchase a bolt action 50BMG.

Most target disciplines are shot here be it rifle, pistol or shotgun.
Hunting regs are again state based so vary greatly, in most states it is illegal to hunt native species although millions of kangaroos are shot annually under destruction permits to lessen their impact on agriculture. Some states have game bird seasons, duck, quail, geese while others don't and again the same species are shot by the millions under destruction permits in states without hunting seasons.

Deer although not native are widespread across Aus in nearly all but the arid areas. In some states they are classed as game with hunting seasons and regulations while in others they are classed as vermin. There are 6 species in Aus from sambar that can go close to 1000lbs on the hoof to hog that might go 60lb. The larger animals you often see in hunting articles about Aus (bufflo, camel, donkeys) can be in massive numbers but very specific areas so aren't everyday fare for most Aussie hunters. Goats and pigs (hogs) are fairly widespread and accessible for most. As are foxes and rabbits but numbers can vary from almost non existent to plague proportions.

Any questions fire away happy to try and answer them
A few pictures of various shooting/hunting all with my phone so sorry about the quality.

Son with a young fallow spiker, rifle is a 375H&H
deer.JPG
deer.JPG (755.75 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Daughter with a 375Snipe-Tac she had just been shooting at a get together with some mates
408.JPG
408.JPG (655.95 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Who said it doesn't get cold in Aus
307.JPG
307.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 2683 times
Foxes can be found just about anywhere
fox3 (2).jpg
fox3 (2).jpg (396.29 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
My old Erma with a few rabbits
photo (2).jpg
photo (2).jpg (183.38 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Daughter is fond of a selfie,this ones from earlier this month

A young sambar on the trail cam at the farm, they have been coming in most nights onto oats planted for grazing
11 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Shooting/Hunting in Austraila

Post by PT7 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Well, all I can say is that down under clearly seems to be on top of it! ;)
Appreciated the basics in Australia from someone who, along with the kids, enjoys hunting and firearms.
Your photos are very good, and the info was great.
Thanks much!
PT7

P.S. As probably a lot of us here in the States may never get "down under," any future hunting tours are most welcome. :)
220 wrote:....thought I would do a bit of a post covering the basics in Aus....
0 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 am

220, thank you for the insight into your "world". I am always interested to hear how things go in the rest of the world.

Those are great photographs. Thanks for sharing them with us. I'm glad you are here and hope to see more of Australia from you. Bring all your friends too.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks for the education, your photos are very good. Your daughter is lovely and the Snipe Tac is impressive. Looks like you and the youngsters are doing a fine job of managing the game.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:56 am

220 Great shots and thanks for all the info. So when you purchase a long gun is there a wait time for it? What about the handgun? Is it something you need to show a gun shop only or is the another place you need to deliver the info to before the purchase at the gun shop. We hear many stories over here about gun restrictions in the land down under. Im glad you have given us some details on gun ownership there. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 am

I'll second the above. That was very interesting. thoroughly enjoyed it it. Thanks for posting.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks for the info. In all my travels with the Corps, Australia was one of the places high on my to do list I didn't get to visit. I am glad to hear that there are firearms left for our shooting friends down under. The anti gun folks up here play it up as if ALL the guns have been turned in and no one owns private firearms ...
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue May 15, 2018 12:12 pm

very cool pictures. Spent a week in Sidney back in the early seventies. It was a glorious time. Still have pictures some where. Meant a really nice girl (Alice) at a bar and she became my unofficial tour guide for the whole week. Kept in touch until she got married.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm

BigAl52 wrote:220 Great shots and thanks for all the info. So when you purchase a long gun is there a wait time for it? What about the handgun? Is it something you need to show a gun shop only or is the another place you need to deliver the info to before the purchase at the gun shop. We hear many stories over here about gun restrictions in the land down under. Im glad you have given us some details on gun ownership there. Al
Every purchase needs a Permit to Acquire, these are approved and issued by the registry in each state so the process varies from state to state.
First purchases in each category (rimfire, centrefire, handgun) have a 28 day cooling off period. You apply for your PTA and they put it on hold for 28 days before issuing it. Second and subsequent purchases a PTA takes as long as it takes to process.
My state still does it all by snail mail so a week is a quick turn around but some states do it electronically so if you walked into a dealers and decided to buy something it is possible to lodge a PTA through them electronically have it back that afternoon.
In my state PTA are by category and valid for 3 months with the possibility of an extension. I have a category B PTA sitting here waiting for my BBS to arrive at my dealers. Cat B covers all centrefire rifles apart from semi-autos. I could today if I wanted to change my mind walk into a dealer with a bolt action 50BMG in stock and walk out with it 5min later.
I know some shooters keep approved PTA' on hand so they can make spur of the moment purchases.

Handgun purchases are similar with the PTA application having a section for a shooting club to sign stating the handgun is suitable for the events shot at your club. We have had handgun registration for nearly 100 years, it is actually easier and less complicated than pre the 1996 changes.. The old system used to require numerous trips to the local police station and approval was for a specific handgun (serial number on the PTA) now it is just by the category.
3 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 pm

A few more pictures
small pig from a few weeks back
pig.JPG
pig.JPG (1008.54 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
A few of the locals
wombat1.JPG
wombat1.JPG (567.55 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
some little brown trout from the creek that runs through the farm
fish.JPG
fish.JPG (203.51 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
one of the locals from the creek, native white claw cray, we don't get very many so leave them alone although they are tasty.
cray.JPG
cray.JPG (821.68 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
4 x