Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Like Riding A Bike

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Like Riding A Bike

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Well, turns out getting older is not completely a bad thing. Sometimes even curmudgeonly old phart like me has to grudgingly concede that there can actually be some good things about it.

A couple weeks ago I found myself in sunny Florida for a week, and I decided to rent a bike. Wasn't sure how that was gonna go, but I got on the thing and started pedaling. It was, well, like riding a bike. The old expression is completely true. Once you learn how to ride a bike you never forget.*

I'm back up here now in The Great White North. Fortunately, spring has sprung rather early this year, and I was able to do some bicycling today. Felt good.

*Sadly, other skills that you'd think would be the same are not. About ten years ago I was at a roller rink for a kid's birthday party. I was cajoled into putting on some skates, and HOLY COW. At least for me roller skating was not like riding a bike. I spent countless hours on roller skates in the summer, and ice skates in the winter, while growing up, to the point where after awhile it felt funny NOT to be on skates. Yet all that was gone one terrifying afternoon at the skating place.

Sometimes I think shooting is a bit like that, too. If you don't practice on a regular basis, shooting skills erode very quickly.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Like Riding A Bike

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Other than the ones that go nowhere in the gym It has been about five years. Took a trail ride near Keuka Lake in New York it was fun but man was I sore for the next few days. Thought I might get a trail bike when I got back home...still haven't bought one. Actually no good places around here to ride without driving a couple of hours.
Skating....tried it once fell down too many times. And I was a teenager then.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:35 pm

I put on roller skates a few years ago and it wasn't purdy. But an hour later I did okay.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Good post. I doubt that at my age that I would want to try any of it again, especially roller skating. Probably between the three, I put on roller skates last. And that was about 25 years ago. I really haven't put on ice skates since the early 1970's when we used to take the kids to an ice skating rink. When I grew up in the 1950's in Lancaster County, Pa, and I lived in the country, the Amish kids and I used to skate on the Conestoga Creek when it would freeze over. We played ice hockey and skated at night too and had a ball. I learned to ride a 24" bike back around 1953, the old ones that you brake with the pedals. I learned to ride first on the grass adjoining a school playground so if I fell I wouldn't get hurt.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:58 pm

This is my bike.

0 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:39 pm

Purty bike!
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:28 am

Roller skating and bike riding were once as natural to me as walking or running. I skated indoors on a hardwood rink at the YMCA every Saturday afternoon and once or twice on weekday evenings all during my school years. I loved it and I was really good at it. I saved a portion of my paper route money for months to buy a professional pair of precision skates when I was about fourteen. I haven't been on a pair of skates in more than forty years.

As for bike riding, I grew up in the fifties and sixties and I had a bike when I was six. As kids, we rode our bikes all over town. We'd travel miles from home without thinking about it. How different times were then. As long as we were home when the street lights came on, we could pretty much do anything. Fish, swim, skate, play baseball, climb trees. Anything. I do still have a bike, but it's been hanging in my garage for a long while now, undisturbed. After my spinal fusion surgery four years ago, I lost agility and confidence and worried about falling off the darned thing. But, boy, I sure did enjoy both of those things once!

These days, I have fun shooting, with both feet planted firmly on the ground. I may get to the range today with my .357 Big Boy and its companion Revolver.

Thanks for triggering (heh heh) some great memories.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:45 pm

Never tried any kind of skates and @ almost 68 I'm not going to start. I didn't shoot at all for about 20 years so now I started hand loading again so I can get back in good practice. Fortunately I kept all my good Herter's presses powder scale ,etc.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:57 pm

I did a lot of mountaineering when I was younger and didn't think I had the balance at age 66. But last summer I did some bouldering and did quite well. I was with some 30 and 40 year olds that didn't have my experience and didn't do as well as I did.
0 x

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm not sure I remember the last time I rode a bike???? :o
0 x