Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is it wrong to want one of each

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
LeverGuy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Is it wrong to want one of each

Post by LeverGuy » Thu May 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Today I picked up a .22. I traded a friend one of my Ruger 10/22s even up for it. I love my big boy .357 and my long ranger.243. But now I want one of every caliber.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Is it wrong to want one of each

Post by PT7 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Sounds like a perfect goal to becoming a Henry collector! ;) Nothing "wrong" if that's what you want.

The first thing that comes to my mind, however, is getting/maintaining ammo stock for each caliber. I have some "like-caliber-firearms" and that approach helps me out. But I have some friends that have a wide assortment of calibers in their gun cabinets, and it works fine for them. The best for you is the best.

Enjoy your .22 Henry! :)
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 10, 2018 4:36 pm

nope, it ain't wrong .... in fact, its completely normal .... enjoy the ones you have now .... look forward to enjoying the ones that you'll have just down the road
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri May 11, 2018 10:43 am

Thats why HRA sells that nice gun cabinet. Fill 'er up.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am

As mentioned, go for it if that's your thing. As someone who has been afflicted with chronic "too many guns, too many cartridges" disease, I have to periodically cut back for the sake of being at least somewhat practical. Trust me, it is WAY too easy to get in over your head for the sake of trying to support it all. At some point, you're not becoming a more efficient or more versatile shooter, you're just spending more money. :)
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 pm

I must admit I'm one of those multiple caliber guys. After all, does one need both a 7 x 57 Mauser and a 6.5 x 55 Swede? Apparently I do. I guess I'm searching for the optimal cartridge for every possible application, a path that's best avoided :) . Fortunately, Henry hasn't started chambering single shots in those cartridges yet, so the 45-70 and .243 will probably do (for now ;) ).
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Fri May 11, 2018 5:21 pm

North Country Gal wrote:As mentioned, go for it if that's your thing. As someone who has been afflicted with chronic "too many guns, too many cartridges" disease, I have to periodically cut back for the sake of being at least somewhat practical. Trust me, it is WAY too easy to get in over your head for the sake of trying to support it all. At some point, you're not becoming a more efficient or more versatile shooter, you're just spending more money. :)
"Quantity has a quality all it's own" - Joseph Stalin
Look at how many Mosin Nagants, and copies, are around.
No, they're not the most accurate firearms, but most got the job done, and many still do today.

7.62x54R - When you want to hit the broad side of a barn,

two counties away.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:45 pm

A good side-effect of your affliction, "too many guns, too many cartridges" disease, has given us Henry Folk the benefit of your experience & knowledge. Appreciate your way of describing our affliction (fascination) with firearms and the shooting sports.

Out of curiosity, NCG. What do you consider to be "too many guns?"

Final comment, and not to cause a thread derailment.
We may have done this before on our Forum, but I think an interesting off-shoot thread could be this group of Qs:
"How many guns do you have in your gun cabinet? Is that enough? Why or why not?"

At the least, it is interesting to think about. ;)
North Country Gal wrote:As mentioned, go for it if that's your thing. As someone who has been afflicted with chronic "too many guns, too many cartridges" disease, I have to periodically cut back for the sake of being at least somewhat practical. Trust me, it is WAY too easy to get in over your head for the sake of trying to support it all. At some point, you're not becoming a more efficient or more versatile shooter, you're just spending more money. :)
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri May 11, 2018 6:31 pm

The only other gun I'm looking at is an 1885 Low Wall but it's in my same caliber; 45 Colt. Just like to do some longer distance shooting. I know 45 Colt is not a long range cartridge but I'm a 1 caliber guy. But I can see how a bunch of disposable income could make a person gun-poor in no time.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Im looking at a tenth one now so I hope not or Im in trouble. I found a 22 mag in a small game rifle about 60.00 cheaper than the carbine. Im thinking for that much difference I can live with the 20 inch barrel. Besides it will hold 2 more rounds.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55