Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An interesting choice for advertiser...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

An interesting choice for advertiser...

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 am

I was away from the Forum for a number of months. Just "woke up" today and noticed in our links for advertisers there is listed "Shaheen's IGA." Just curious how this was selected; possibly out of interest in our "Hobbies/Cooking" sub-forum? I haven't seen an IGA food store in quite a few years, but did have them around when I lived in the Chicago area. So 'twas interesting to see in our Forum links. :)
1 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: An interesting choice for advertiser...

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:41 am

There was a 1265 post thread going on about it. :lol: You missed a lot. :D :D :D
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:59 am

Bob,

Sir Henry and I list a business in the third spot to highlight them and help them. It had been a while and I decided to put my all time favorite grocery store there. It's in Tupper Lake NY.
They still bag your groceries and carry them out for you. They have their own excellent meat department. They sustain the community in the off season and supply everyone in the "Season". Ownership has passed to the sons. One of the original owners still stocks the soda each day for something to do to help out. There is competition in the village also in the form of a Pricerite chain store. They do very well even so.
That is the reason behind them being in our list. If you ever are in the area, stop in. There are not many places like this left I'm sure. The link doesn't do the place much justice, but it's a website.
I try to stop every time we go to camp or on the way home.
3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 am

For sure, Gene, I did miss a lot of good chats!

Dave, I agree with your comment, "There are not many places like this left I'm sure." About 3-4 blocks from my home is a smaller, regional grocery chain called SunFresh. They bag groceries, and I really like their option of paper sacks with those nice handles instead of plastic. Easy to carry. If I were to ask, they would also take my groceries out to the car for me. Kind of nice to have that good CS.

Just for fun, here is the SunFresh website. https://www.mysunfresh.com/ Not much about the local, in-the-store shopping. What I find interesting is the "On-The-Go" link where a person can shop online. Then the person can drive to the store and pick up groceries, or (I believe) the store actually delivers to the home. That might be handy some day if these elder legs ever really slow down!! ;)

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Sir Henry wrote:There was a 1265 post thread going on about it. :lol: You missed a lot. :D :D :D
daytime dave wrote:Bob, Sir Henry and I list a business in the third spot to highlight them and help them....They still bag your groceries and carry them out for you. They have their own excellent meat department. They sustain the community in the off season and supply everyone in the "Season"....There are not many places like this left I'm sure.
1 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 am

daytime dave wrote: They still bag your groceries and carry them out for you. They have their own excellent meat department. They sustain the community in the off season and supply everyone in the "Season" ... There are not many places like this left I'm sure.
I shop at an IGA, too. At 3 miles, it's the nearest grocery store to me having a fresh fish counter including oysters, clams, and lobster; a butcher; and a wide variety of fresh veggies. They have a guy who you can watch making fresh sushi (though I've never tried it), and they even sell cut flowers.

I also live in a tourist town, so "in season" it's really crowded, especially on weekends. Regardless, they bag your groceries and will also help you get them to your car if necessary. Great store.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 pm

In our small town, we had two very small grocery stores when we moved here twenty five years ago. Both family owned. So small the aisles required narrower carts than the standard you find in regular stores. First one store, then the other closed it's doors. The only thing we have in town now is a poorly managed dollar general. The store is nasty, they don't keep the shelves stocked, and all the employees are downright rude. They don't want to work, don't do their jobs, don't want to be bothered, and don't want to be there. The average store manager lasts about six months and is either fired or quits.

We rarely go in the place, we would rather drive the thirty miles to the next town, and get a little respect. Value a good store with customer service while you can find them. They are fading fast.
:cry:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Dave, when I was a manufacturer sales rep I had a lawn and garden dealer in Tupper Lake and he was a Shaheen and his uncles own Shaheen’s Supermarket. Nice family.
1 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:22 am

GeoBoy wrote:Dave, when I was a manufacturer sales rep I had a lawn and garden dealer in Tupper Lake and he was a Shaheen and his uncles own Shaheen’s Supermarket. Nice family.
Isn't it a small world?

Yes, I agree, they are a nice family.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 am

I work for family owned business. There main focus in the past has been customer service. Thats the reason they have been in business for 40 plus years. I now see there kids coming into the business. It doesn't seem to be a priority with younger workers. Ive been trying to stress that customer service will bring you more business than you can handle. Its falling on deaf ears with the kids. But us old guys don't know a thing.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am

Ace Hardware is another place like IGA in that they are family owned.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater