Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Collect?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Collect?

Post by daytime dave » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:02 am

As I look around the man cave, I see all that I collect. Knives are the most numerous items. Diecast cars are a close second. Guns and airguns are third. Cross brand pens and Norma brand pencils. CB radios and some cameras. Star Trek (TOS) items. I have used almost all the pens at one time. Very few knives get used. All the guns have been fired except one. A brand new Smith and Wesson nickel plated model 29 4" bbl. That one has just never been out of the safe. I have meant to shoot it, but haven't had time.

I once determined I like finely made metallic objects.

In non-metallic items, I like to collect hats. Anything that isn't a baseball cap, lol. I like fedoras and many other styles. I like to wear them when I can.

I like to use almost everything that comes in. However, all collecting is on hold.

My father collected and I have to figure out what to do with his collections I have inherited. Farm equipment, R/C planes, HO trains and model kits mostly. We both collected garden tractors and accessories.

I'm going into a saving mode to prepare to move north to the Adirondacks.

I was very pleased and proud to have donated a very large collection of Boy Scout memorabilia to the local council. I found out they have a museum too. I got a standard thank you from the council and a week later, a more personal thank you from the curator of the museum. I had some really good stuff.
3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 am

I seem to like collecting coins. I remember starting in my childhood. I remember getting about $10 for less than $1 worth of change I had in the 70's. I am thinking I will pass them on to my grandchildren.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 am

daytime dave wrote: I was very pleased and proud to have donated a very large collection of Boy Scout memorabilia to the local council. I found out they have a museum too. I got a standard thank you from the council and a week later, a more personal thank you from the curator of the museum. I had some really good stuff.
When I was a kid, my mom had "happy feet." So we moved often. I was never in one place long enough to really invest time in the scouts. I tried several times, and enjoyed the experience, but as I really began to work at it, we'd pack up and move. I remember the adventurous feeling I'd get when I put on that uniform, and the "brotherhood" of scouting, but ... I didn't get the chance... one thing I do regret from my childhood. ;)

The same Stepfather who was a Marine in Korea, was also into scouting as a kid, and when he passed in '81; while arranging his funeral and the Marine Corps honor guard, I found a few items among his keepsakes in his "top drawer" of his chest of drawers. One was his Marine Corps Guidebook. Another was his boy scout compass, stored in the box all those years. I didn't get much that belonged to this fine man, but along with his pocket knife, I took those things.

Years later, one of our young Volunteers for our Veteran's Charities made Eagle Scout. I made a custom presentation box and in the box... I passed along that antique Boxed Scout Compass. I felt my Stepfather would have been proud.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Star
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by North Star » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:16 am

Well, After reading this thread, I find myself in the midst of collected memories and the time in life to begin the downsizing we all must go through. Looking back, I have been very blessed. My wife and I are coming up on 34 years as Bed and Breakfast Innkeepers. we have collected a house full of antiques, from furniture to smalls. Some of these were inherited and a lot purchased over the years. So there is a lot of sentimental attachment to some and others become space takers . I personally collected old carpenter tools, coins and for a while, my rifles and pistols.

As I look at the next generation, of which I have three. They do want some things, but there will still be a lot to move out. This next generation has been saddled up with college loans to the point that they may not be able, in their lives to afford a house until much later in life and therefore not able to furnish their apartments with the larger antique furniture. So I will pass on these blessings to those who will appreciate the workmanship and value of the bygone era.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:21 am

I have told a few of you that we rarely do craig's list. What we normally do is pass on things to family and friends or thru friends and family to organizations who we trust to distribute things appropriately. When I retired unexpectedly, I had just bought new clothes for use for my professional job. Working for the organization I did, we had a certain standard to meet, even though I was now a "civilian" employee. I had brand new wool dress slacks for winter, new high end dress shirts, and a couple new sports coats. Plus the coats, slacks and shirts from the previous seasons. I went thru the closet, and pulled out all but one or two pairs of slacks, one nice coat, and my overcoat, and donated thru a friend of mine to HIS church AND his job. Thru his job at the local college, they would screen upcoming graduates in need and set them up with a nice pair of slacks, shirt, tie and coat for job interviews. With the suit, their new degree, and a good attitude, their chances in securing a job greatly increased. Thru his church, they did the same thing. I didn't plan on wearing any of the dress clothes again unless I absolutely had too, and couldn't see them sitting in the closet, especially the brand new items.

I have said on more than one occasion that I believe Karma is real. Good and Bad. It might take awhile, but it comes around and pays you back in full. :roll:
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Guess over the decades I've collected some real nice cowboy gear, and use most of it still.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:48 pm

North Star wrote: As I look at the next generation, of which I have three. They do want some things, but there will still be a lot to move out. This next generation has been saddled up with college loans to the point that they may not be able, in their lives to afford a house until much later in life and therefore not able to furnish their apartments with the larger antique furniture. So I will pass on these blessings to those who will appreciate the workmanship and value of the bygone era.
Yes, education seems to be a must in our current society. I planned to help mine with a two-year degree to see if college was for them. I figured English is English and History is History no matter where one takes them. After that, they were on their own. One decided to go, and one did not. She did complete a certification program though. I planning to make a similar offer to my grandchildren. I opened an education account for each of them a couple years after they were born. A feature I like, I can keep or transfer the contributions if something changes in the future. If I pass prior to their 18th birthday, the fund should remain for them until then. So, it could be an education fund or a retirement fund depending on how things unfold.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:57 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
daytime dave wrote: I made a custom presentation box and in the box... I passed along that antique Boxed Scout Compass. I felt my Stepfather would have been proud.

I have no doubt that he would have been very proud.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Cups...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:54 pm

A few of the Special Cups I kept...

My NRA Firearms Instructor Cup, had to be earned...
sheath 001.JPG
sheath 001.JPG (247.12 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Colt 150th Anniversary Cup... I've had this for years... it was a Gift from a friend.
sheath 004.JPG
sheath 004.JPG (322.68 KiB) Viewed 795 times
The Glock Shooting Sports Cup.. I love the hole thru the center of the cup.
Another that I have had for years.
sheath 006.JPG
sheath 006.JPG (225.23 KiB) Viewed 795 times
A Marine Corps Stein, of course...
sheath 008.JPG
sheath 008.JPG (325.65 KiB) Viewed 795 times
I was in this squadron twice. The back side of this coffee cup has my Aircrew Wings on it.
sheath 009.JPG
sheath 009.JPG (218.86 KiB) Viewed 795 times
A stoneware Marine Corps Mug, another gift from my guys when I left a unit.
sheath 010.JPG
sheath 010.JPG (314.38 KiB) Viewed 795 times
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:55 pm

I have a lot more mugs in the china closet, and more scattered around the house. Mugs from units, mugs from departments, and mugs that I swapped for when I attended classes. Most of the ones I gave away were promotional mugs from Trade shows and the like. Some never come out of the trophy case.
0 x