Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Collect?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Collect?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:22 am

Yeah, yeah, I know that most of us collect guns, knives, and possibly swords.... :P
But... what else do we collect?
Personally, I collect a few other things that might be of interest. I'll share a few if ya'll will.
One... patches. Started during my military career and just kept going, I have a few really cool ones from attending LE conventions. :D
I'll add pics when I'm back at the desktop.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Collect?

Post by clovishound » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am

Well, I used to dive the local rivers here to collect artifacts. Yes, it is legal here with a license and reporting requirements. I also used to do volunteer work with the archaeological institute and would use my collected artifacts for displays and as educational material for talks at schools and events.

I collected all sorts of things from 12,000+ year old native American artifacts to all manner of bottles, ceramics, metal and other artifacts that were used up until the turn of the 20th century. I have since moved on from diving, but it had to be the most passionate hobby in my life. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be crawling along the bottom of the river pushing gators out of my way and catching water moccasins in my teeth. 8-)

When I caught the woodworking bug I started collecting old woodworking hand tools. I would pick them up at fleas mostly, and then rehab them and often use them in projects. I currently have more hand planes than I could ever use.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:38 pm

I don't think I ever collected anything, trying to remember.......

I certainly don't collect anything now.

Even when I had 10 guitars, they all had their purpose. If you look at my gun list at the bottom, they're all unique and have their porpose.

So whatever chromosone or whatever regulates the desire to collect, I don't have it.............

I remember a story about a guy that collected golf balls; thousands of them. When he died his family was trying to figure out what best to do with all of them. Makes me wonder if maybe the desire to collect is partially based in the desire to leave something as a legacy? I don't know..........
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:02 pm

All of my collections are involuntary. But I seem to be able to collect a lot of attitude comments from my wife. I think its all out love but I'm not real sure.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 pm

I collect memories but only good ones.
3 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Beer bottles but only until they are empty. Then they go into the recycle bin.
I do have more flashlights than I need. And Knives, mostly pocket models.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:56 pm

I also collect, or did, coffee cups. But the special logo'd ones, and ball caps. Special ones.
I have cut WAY back on adding anything...
We are decluttering, and I have given away 3/4 of the ball caps and 1/2 the coffee mugs, keeping the cream of the crop.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Yep, forgot about ball caps. :D
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 am

clovishound wrote:Well, I used to dive the local rivers here to collect artifacts. Yes, it is legal here with a license and reporting requirements. I also used to do volunteer work with the archaeological institute and would use my collected artifacts for displays and as educational material for talks at schools and events.

I collected all sorts of things from 12,000+ year old native American artifacts to all manner of bottles, ceramics, metal and other artifacts that were used up until the turn of the 20th century. I have since moved on from diving, but it had to be the most passionate hobby in my life. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be crawling along the bottom of the river pushing gators out of my way and catching water moccasins in my teeth. 8-)

When I caught the woodworking bug I started collecting old woodworking hand tools. I would pick them up at fleas mostly, and then rehab them and often use them in projects. I currently have more hand planes than I could ever use.
I love planes, I just started to use molding planes rather than routers. Quieter, lots less dust. Maybe my trim isn't perfect... but I made it by hand, and I can breathe when I go in the house at night. :P Plus... I love the whisk, whisk sound the planes make when they are sharpened correctly and you are "in the groove." 8-)
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:44 am

You know to be fair, I've never had enough money to buy things for the sake of collecting them. I think I may be jealous of the guys that had money and a house big enough to collect excess stuff.

Another thing is, I don't enjoy seeing things just sit. I mean decoration is one thing, and many collections are just that; a form of decoration.

But take airguns, for instance. I have 4 (five if you include the Red Ryder :D ) and with the seals and all that I feel obliged to use them. I basically rotate their use.

I shot my brother in laws Glenfield the other day because, you guessed it, it had been in the safe for a number of months.

So i guess I wasn't cut out financially or emotionally to be a collector :D

But to you guys that do, I think I'm jealous................ :lol:
0 x