Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun valuation book

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Gun valuation book

Post by NoFlyZone » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm going to buy a new book on gun values. I know there are a few out there, is there one that is preferred or better than the others.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dale
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Gun valuation book

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:04 pm

is there one that is preferred or better than the others.
Yea none - best to follow your local market, what certain guns are ACTUALLY selling for in your area, what is actually being bid on gunbroker for what you are interested in. Hit your local LGSs & pawn shops routinely and watch what sits in the cases and and what is moving. Gun prices are really in 'flux' right now with interests and attitudes changing rapidly.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 am

Plus one on what Mistered says. The problem with gun price books is that by the time their published, they're already outdated, nor do they accurately reflect regional and even local variations in the used gun market. They use a depreciation schedule and condition formula to set prices, but they can never keep up, as Ed mentions, with changing interests and attitudes.

A good example is the Marlin 39A. Remington, who now makes Marlins, now offers the 39A only through their Custom Shop. It's no longer a standard catalog item. Ever since that development, the prices on used Marlin 39As have seen a major spike. You'd be lucky, indeed, to find one at the prices listed in current gun values books.
0 x

NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NoFlyZone » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:20 pm

Interesting! I don't currently have a book, was just thinking it would help with understanding prices.
But maybe not! Thanks for your comments Mistered and North Country Gal!
Dale
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Best gun value book in my opinion is Gunbroker. Go there look up what your wanting to know and go by what there selling for. Keep the money that your gonna spend on the book and buy your next Henry.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55