Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

mad & sad

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

mad & sad

Post by The Wiz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 pm

I just found out that while I was on vacation, three of the four local gun shops here were broken into. Two were smashed into with vehicles and one was broken into twice in one week. Of course, people are upset with the gun shops saying they are not secure enough. I been in all three and with the exception of one, they are all concrete blocks construction. they all have camera's and alarms. Some citizens want them closed down or make them like prisons with upgrades that these shops just can't afford. these shops are mom and pop stores, family owned for generations. It would be a shame if they were forced to close. I am pretty sure one is going to chuck it as she wanted someone to buy her business before this happened. I am going to talk to her tomorrow and see how she is doing. I would not be surprised if she closes and goes down state and lives with her daughter. Jeri is one cool lady and I hope she sticks it out.
One other owner said it is like an arms race with robbers. What ever he does, they one up him. He says it is all in the response time for the authorities . He can only slow them down so much.
I am sure after the hysteria has die down, accommodations will be made on both sides to make the situation more secure. The world would be a sadder place if these mom and pops shut down. Not only for the owners, but for people who work for them, suppliers of products, and of course their customers. :(
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: mad & sad

Post by Squatch » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Hard to stop a speeding car!

We had a shop not too far from here broken into recently. Big news for a couple of days.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 pm

A small gunshop is going to open near me soon. There is a very good chance I may be employed there at least part time. My greatest concern is security. The county Sheriffs office is about a mile away. Hopefully this will cut down on temptation.
1 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Squatch wrote:Hard to stop a speeding car!

We had a shop not too far from here broken into recently. Big news for a couple of days.
I'm not going to say what all I could, but
if it was my shop I would defend it.
May not be able to stop the car, but
I could sure make sure he wouldn't do it again.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm

My local shop was hit last year. Same way, a car driven through a set of doors. They had to rebuild that wall solid and reinforced it with steel bars. Those were the original doors that were closed up when they expanded about 5 years ago. They also added concrete and steel barriers to make the approach to the new entrance too narrow for a vehicle to get to the doors. It is a shame they have to spend so much to keep the animals out. Considering what is in the building they have to invest in the best possible defense.

Wiz I hope the criminals who did those break ins are caught. And that the owners get the best outcome for them.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm

not surprised in the least but I'm sorry to hear it .... I sure hope they are caught and punished
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:46 am

It can happen, anywhere. We had a local shop broken into at night in a similar way. They only took the Glocks and a few black rifles, even though there were far more valuable guns in the shop. Turns out they were a drug gang from the next county, over, and all were caught in a few days when they tried to sell the guns back to other shops in the area. Not the brightest bulbs.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 pm

I hate it when the gun shops get hit as it's ammo for the anti-gunners to use and it's a risk for everyone involved. Most of the major robberies here have occurred when the shops are closed, as most of the shop owners and employees are armed, and many of the employees are Law Enforcement or military working off duty jobs... and have the skills to use what they carry.

A major robbery many years ago involved driving a huge wrecker thru a side wall of one of the largest gun shops in the area; and taking the used guns from the floor racks in the aisles. All the new guns, and all the handguns in the shop were rolled into vaults every night before closing. But... the thieves loaded some 400 rifles and shotguns into multiple vans in just a few minutes and were gone before dispatch could finish giving out the calls. They suspect it was a carefully plan professional job by an out of town crew. NOT one of the guns was ever recovered as far as I know.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:21 pm

The nearest LGS to me was robbed about two years ago. The thief was quickly caught and several rifles that were taken were recovered; but the owner of the gun shop found himself in greater trouble than the thief because, while investigating the robbery, the ATF found evidence of numerous regulatory violations, including a failure to keep adequate records. He had no clear idea of what was actually missing from his store until they were recovered by the local police. The store never reopened.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Not much press on it. But a couple of pawn shops were cleaned out during the Baltimore riots. From what I've heard through a friend who knows one of the owners is that insurance won't cover their losses either because it was "Civil Unrest"!
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.