Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

If it's not one thing...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

If it's not one thing...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 pm

It's three or four....

The new woodshop is climate controlled. We paid a premium for a quality system that wouldn't run us an arm and a leg and would keep the temps in the 65-68 degree range year round due to the paints and chemicals, finishes and equipment in the building. The temps have stayed right at 68 degrees since we flipped the on switch and the electric bill hasn't been much more than 30 bucks more than average for each month. Not bad.

Now, coldest winter we can remember, overnight temps in the single digits. Still, temps have been steady and it's been a joy to don the coat to roll my walker from door to door and work in the flannel shirt in the shop in comfort. Got out there this morning and ... :o ... something just wasn't right? :roll:
Took a gander at the thermometer on the wall and ... Fifty Some degrees? :shock:
02 cold.jpg
02 cold.jpg (267.62 KiB) Viewed 895 times
I checked the temp set on the remote control for the interior unit. It's mounted HIGH on the wall, so you have a TV style controller. Ah... still set at 68 degrees. Nope, that's not the problem. I switched from the AUTO setting recommended by the HVAC guy when we first turned her on and where it's been since: TO HEAT. I I turned on the FAN and set it to high. I expected the roar (okay, loud PURRRR,) of the fan we got when he demonstrated this feature.... :( Nada.
03 inside out of the way.jpg
03 inside out of the way.jpg (245.7 KiB) Viewed 895 times
I called the HVAC guy and he answered sounding harried. I explained the problem and he said it could be a freeze lockout, but he'd have to come look, but was swamped. "As you might imagine, this cold snap has done me in." He said, he sounded exhausted already. "I can get to you late Thursday, or Early Friday." :roll: Yup, I understood, but ... I have a building full of stuff the cold will damage. He told me to try shutting down the main power to the unit outside, wait thirty seconds and restart. I did this; and will give it two hours. The outside unit is mounted up on the wall on the back of the shop so the finish mower can pass right under it, and it's easy to weed eat around. A nice touch. Right now I am NOT admiring it.... since it crapped out.
01 outside.jpg
01 outside.jpg (345.83 KiB) Viewed 895 times
If the temps don't start to climb in the shop since the reset after an hour or so, I'll put my portable propane heater in the building and overheat 'er. (75 or 80) and then shut it down. That should keep it warm in this WELL insulated building for 24 hours or so. I'll repeat the propane heat until he gets 'er going again. This old gem is more than 20 years old, and uses the OLD style propane tanks. It's hard to get them filled, and eventually I'll have to find a new heater. But like me, old, but still works... mostly.
04 old but still works.jpg
04 old but still works.jpg (295.84 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Big bucks for a really cool system... sheesh... it should work.
:evil:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: If it's not one thing...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Well, the temps didn't drop in the shop, but they didn't go up either...
So old faithful was called in off the bench and is in the game. I'll check after a half hour and see what the old thermometer has to say about the old guy's performance, then follow up a half hour after that if he's still needed in the game.
hvac 010.JPG
hvac 010.JPG (3.5 MiB) Viewed 892 times
Funny, it didn't take but a minute to get him "Fired Up," and he's been out of play for over two years, sitting and waiting. The last time I called on the old boy was when I taught a winter firearms class. Put up a three sided pop up tent, and we were all toasty warm as we shot the range portion with snow on the ground around us. :lol:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:22 pm

In seventy five minutes, the little guy added ten degrees to the shop temp. I shut it down and will keep a weather eye on the shop until the HVAC Guy makes his appearance.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Be careful with those unvented heaters. They can be deadly.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Yup, monitored the time, and it's a large building vented by the hvac, which was still cycling.
I'm leaving it running to vent the various chemicals I use.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm

But thanks for lookin out
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Good luck and watch out for the old boy.

In the Northeast, the weather really takes a toll on all kinds of equipment. Mostly the vehicles and the salt.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:19 pm

over the years we've worn out a good number of single burner, along with some more double burner heaters .... when used properly, they do a very good job .... I have a couple out in the garage which I need to dig out and make sure they are serviceable for use during power outages
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 pm

With everything invested, I don't want to take any chances, so I use that when I can keep an eye on it. I heated the small shop with it for twenty years. LOL.
It always did right by me, but if you used it too long, the shop took on an odor of propane. I always had a fan in the window on one end blowing OUT, with an open window on the other end for good airflow. Kept the shop warm in SPITE of the draft. LOL.

Since I wasn't going to STAY in the shop, once I had the temps back up above 60, I put a large oscillating electric heater in the shop that we normally use in tandem for Miss T's small shop, just to keep it above freezing. I just checked the shop and it's still 65 degrees. That should hold us til the "guy" gets here in the next 24 to 36 hours; and the system is under warranty. :P (That is the best news of all.... )
0 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:52 am

If your heater uses the propane connection I think it does the new propane bottles will work. The outside threads on the valve connection are coarse right hand thread but the female threads on the inside are left hand fine. Which I THINK is what your connection is I hope Had a backup heater at an old workplace like yours once. They put out a bunch of heat.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!